OT Southern BBQ Ribs

seti

It is raining bbq in Arkansas. One of the Doctors where I work had a birthday lunch catered by Famous Daves BBQ. This is a chain so I rolled my eyes and trudged on anyway. These ribs were wet which aren't my preference but were still pretty good especially for a chain. The ribs were slightly sweet yet still a little tender/juicy. For a chain these were ok and I definately ate my fair share. The pulled pork was ok but no competition for whole hog. I still haven't had anything match Simm's dry juicy ribs but it looks like Dee has some more places for me to try. I think cross eyed pig will be next.

Famous Daves is a new one on me. Sounds like it's worth checking out. Haven't been to the cross eyed pig.

Yeh, let me know when you have the bandwidth to check out Rib Crib. They aren't Simms, but respectable still. Especially respectable for a chain.

Famous Daves is a new one on me. Sounds like it's worth checking out. Haven't been to the cross eyed pig.

Yeh, let me know when you have the bandwidth to check out Rib Crib. They aren't Simms, but respectable still. Especially respectable for a chain.

I will be out that way next month. Many people I know have been there and not a bad word said about the place. I gotta check it out.

It is raining bbq in Arkansas. One of the Doctors where I work had a birthday lunch catered by Famous Daves BBQ. This is a chain so I rolled my eyes and trudged on anyway. These ribs were wet which aren't my preference but were still pretty good especially for a chain. The ribs were slightly sweet yet still a little tender/juicy. For a chain these were ok and I definately ate my fair share. The pulled pork was ok but no competition for whole hog. I still haven't had anything match Simm's dry juicy ribs but it looks like Dee has some more places for me to try. I think cross eyed pig will be next.

I found a Famous Dave's in Denver while there on business. As you said they are pretty good for a chain, the only other chain that is I found that is decent is Corky's. I just found this thread and I will have to keep my eye on it. I travel quite a bit for work and always look for good bbq. I had a job going for a couple of years in Memphis and really fell for the dry rub ribs. I currently have jobs going in Raleigh/Durham, Greer SC, Denver, and Long Island. I usually try and find a decent place, but I am always looking for suggestions!

Chris

Corky's?Ick! sorry. I find Famous Dave's to be 100% better. On the other hand, I am more into KC style BBQ so that may give you some idea as to my taste preferences. Different tastes....

I found that there is alot of variation between chain locations. They both do wet ribs and if I had to rate them I'd have to say C-. However, I have heard that the original Corky's in Memphis can not be compared to chain locations.

What is the KC style exactly? Who makes the best KC rib?

I found a Famous Dave's in Denver while there on business. As you said they are pretty good for a chain, the only other chain that is I found that is decent is Corky's. I just found this thread and I will have to keep my eye on it. I travel quite a bit for work and always look for good bbq. I had a job going for a couple of years in Memphis and really fell for the dry rub ribs. I currently have jobs going in Raleigh/Durham, Greer SC, Denver, and Long Island. I usually try and find a decent place, but I am always looking for suggestions!

Chris

If you ever swing through Arkansas Sim's is a must try. It is just a couple minutes from the airport. I hear that Rendvous in Memphis is amoung the best dry but I need to try them again. After looking at their site you can have them flown in http://www.hogsfly.com/ . Next time in Memphis I think I will stop by and have some ribs.

I found that there is alot of variation between chain locations. They both do wet ribs and if I had to rate them I'd have to say C-. However, I have heard that the original Corky's in Memphis can not be compared to chain locations.

The only real experience I have had with Corky's is the Memphis area. I did also try one in Knoxville and it was alright. I haven't been to a Corky's in probably 3+ years and Famous Dave's was about 2 months ago. At least in Memphis you could get the dry ribs at Corky's but I don't remember if they were on the menu or not.

The Rendevous is great in Memphis, it is where I learned to really love the dry rub. Great location in the alley as well. I would actually stoop to staying in the Holiday Inn because the Rendevous is right there! I also liked the wet ribs in a place that I think was called the Blues City Cafe on Beale. I spent most of my time in Memphis in the Beale street area. The restaurants/ clubs in the area are all pretty good. Nothing like a rack of ribs, a glass of Maker's Mark and some live blues!

Yeh, the Rendevous is good. They sort of have their own reference on dry ribs.

Their ribs don't have the meat on them that one would find at Sims. Good taste, but something more akin to the Danish pork ribs.

I've tried to make Danish ribs good but had too give up as it was just too little meat. It seems my goal of finding something better than Sim's might be quite the chore. Don't worry I won't give up the search.

Nothing like a rack of ribs, a glass of Maker's Mark and some live blues!

I agree. I have the Bourbon covered since probably 80% of your finest Bourbon is made right around the Lexington area. I have yet to find a great rack of ribs around this part though. Which is why I am still trying to perfect my recipe.

• 2 months later...

Rib recipes and styles are as varried and numerous as you can imagine. This weekend a friend made me go to Cross Eyed Pig in Little Rock. I had eaten there before a few years ago and was bummed out by the experience. This last experience was very good though. In my opinion Simm's still reigns supreme. The ribs at Cross Eyed Pig are the dry style which is my favorite style. The purist at Simm's use a light almost undetetable rub but mostly rely on smoke and slow cooking to bring out the flavor. Cross Eyed Pig uses a thick spicy rub that will make your eyes cross. While the rub was abit much for me the meat was almost perfect very juicy and pink. The smokers at Cross Eyed Pig really know their craft and keep the meat tender and moist. While the rib rub was abit too much for my taste my friend thouhgt that they were perfect. If your in Little Rock and crave this style of rib give it a shot as you won't be dissapointed.

The only problem we had was with the waitress who couldn't stop talking about the potatoe salad and convinced us both to order it as an extra side. We laughed after we tried the salad because it was generic Cisco Foods premade potatoe salad and not homemade like the waitress implied. I wanted to tell her customers aren't stupid and don't deserve to be lied to but we had two slabs of ribs to eat and forgot about the salad : )

piglogo.png

http://www.crosseyedpig.com/Cross-Eyed_Pig_Home.html

Seti,

Thanks for the CEP review. Interesting. Makes me want to go just to resist the potato salad pressure.

Well I haven't been able to make it out Benton way just yet. I still have your tweeter which I can return to you and I owe you a lunch. If your going to be in town around lunch or dinner just give me a call or drop me a line. We can give them a try then. I want one of their t'shirts with just nose and snout showing.

Hope all is well

Iain,

Thanks. Things are good.

I think Thur or Fri this week would work for me.

Rib Crib has a rib special on Tues after 4 pm. That would for me, too.

If your going to be in Little Rock Friday is perfect for CEP! I am supposed visit Benton in July for network hardware upgrades at that clinic.

I have another old BBQ drive in that I haven't been to since I was a kid. HB's BBQ. Thanks to google streetview I found it and although they painted the building it is the same. I hope their dry ribs are as good as reported. It may be a while before I make it to HB's Bar*B*Q.

dry.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Today had a carry out lunch from Corky's in North Little Rock. I hadn't been to Corky's in years and didn't recall trying their ribs before.

I thought they were done pretty well. They offer wet or dry ribs and dry is my preference. They wrapped a rack of spare ribs in foil and hand it over in a brown paper bag. The rub is mild, by my standards, but flavorful. Some might consider it spicy, but it's just nicely robust. The meat was cooked tender, and to the place that's not yet falling off the bones, but where the bones are easily removed. No need for bone gnawing. I'd give them four out of five stars.

Tried the ribs at Catfish City in Little Rock last week. This catfish place is well established and does a good job on catfish. Last couple of years they have added BBQ to their menu. This was the first time I checked out the ribs. They were just OK, to my preferences, but lots of folks would thoroughly enjoy them. They had a nice presentation with a sweet, sticky finishing sauce. That's the only rib option. Just a matter of style. I did wonder if they used Danish pork ribs as there wasn't a lot of meat on the bones.