OT Southern BBQ Ribs

seti

seti,

I don't know where it is. Just ran across the pic browsing reddit links.

Tony Reed and I had ribs at Rib Crib Tuesday night. I thought I'd never tasted any better any time any where.

Where is the Rib Crib? I'd like to try it but as you know I compare everyones ribs to Sim's dry ribs. Today a friend and I are going to Whole Hog. My last experience there was terrible but my friend insists it was an off night so I'll give them a second shot.

OT but I am sending my tweeters off to be repaired so I can give you back the loaner tweeter soon.

Seti,

Rib Crib is on Military Rd. in Benton. When I first saw the restaurant I dismissed it because it is a chain out of Oklahoma. Their spare ribs are excellent and consistent. They do baby backs, too, but they are the house specialty and a little pricey. They have three sauces on the table. One is probably kin to KC style and one that is similar but spicier. The third sauce is a mustard based sauce. OK, but not great. Their pulled pork is excellent and do a nice job on smoked ham. I don't think I've tried their brisket.

Tuesday evening they have all you care to eat on spare ribs. I wish I could turn out ribs myself as good as those.

So how was Whole Hog this time? I was thinking "off night" too when you'd had a sub par experience there.

Let me know sometime when you've got the bandwidth to check out rib crib.

Of course, they serve some absolute evil too. Blackberry cobbler in a beer goblet with Yarnell's vanilla. So far, it's been out of the question after ribs anyway. Just wanted to warn you though in case the devil is assigned to our table.

Bob,

If these are your kinfolks you all come from good stock.

Did you look at the way they cook pork chops? Wowie. I mean they really look good. Boneless pork loin is hard to cook, IMO, because it dries out so fast. Cooking the whole loin with the bone looks like it would be just right.

Their sausage looks world class, too.

Anybody try some "country style ribs" with a garlic and sesame oil sauce. Very, very good. Easy to do. Chicken breasts are also great like that.

3 pounds, or about 4-5 "country style ribs" (or 3-4 skinnless/ bonless chicken breasts)

2 oz sesame oil (brown kind, not the refined white kind)

2 oz olive oil

2 tablespoons minced garlic (or 4-5 crushed big cloves)

1 teaspoon of lime juice

1 teaspoon of tarragon

2-3 oz white wine

small amount of sea salt or kosher salt

Mix well; use as marinade for about an hour or two. drain off and baste while cooking.

Had lunch yesterday at Smokey Joe's in Benton. It's a locally owned restaurant that I have roughly compared to Rib Crib, though it is much more spartan in it's interior and dining area. The ribs yesterday were a disappointment. Don't know if they were just having a bad day or if I wasn't remembering them correctly.

Smokey Joe's does have good smoked chicken. Reminds me of what my father used to cook.

For the Benton located fare, Rib Crib has got the best ribs.

Had lunch yesterday at Smokey Joe's in Benton. It's a locally owned restaurant that I have roughly compared to Rib Crib, though it is much more spartan in it's interior and dining area. The ribs yesterday were a disappointment. Don't know if they were just having a bad day or if I wasn't remembering them correctly.

Smokey Joe's does have good smoked chicken. Reminds me of what my father used to cook.

For the Benton located fare, Rib Crib has got the best ribs.

I might have to try to make it out there. Friday night we were supposed to go to Whole Hog but my Friends wanted to go to Simm's which is odd because it is usually I wanting to go to Simm's. It was amazing as usual and I ordered dry. Today I am going to try to get my Boss to go to BBQ with me @ Whole Hog.

OK we tried Whole Hog today and as I looked around I noticed 90% of the people were eating the pulled pork sandwhiches. I sampled some of their pulled pork and it was dam near perfect. I ordered a half a slab of ribs. The ribs were glazed sticky too sweet and covered in spicy molasis. This is what I refer to as other ribs. The molasis took all the flavor from the meat and zapped them of moisture/tenderness. There are people that prefer these ribs but I don't. Rib preference is subject that can be debated till the cows come home everyone has a preference. and argument as heated as SET. These are ribs for glaze and sauce fans which there are many. The sauce selection was amazing especially the special request Volcano. I sampled all the sauces and was blown away by the selection and varied flavors. I'll go back and have their perfect pulled pork with great sauce but the ribs paled in comparison to Sim's. Sim's ribs still riegn supreme in my book with their light rub and long smoke that lets the true flavor of the moist smokey meat shine.

If anyone knows of any other dry rib joints in central arkysas let me know!!!!! Going to try Cross Eyed Pig this weekend.

sunburnW,

wow, that is a lovely presentation for whole hog pulled pork.

Does your friend do competition BBQ?

Dee , we used to do the pig ourselves . Get togather , have a few beers and pull an allnighter . For the last couple of years it's been catered . Maybe next year we will do it ourselves again . Allways a good time and my buddies dad makes a mean hash !