OT Southern BBQ Ribs

seti

Dee,

This is great info. Obviously you know your cookers and your grilling/smoking. When I looked at the Lang's I did notice the stack and figured the design was somrthing like you describe. I like the idea. Heat from underneath and heat and smoke across the food to exit the stack. Lang doesn't discuss how the units are put together, gauge of steel, etc. But the weight indicates heavy duty. I would have to see one up close to comment on craftsmanship. I am just afraid of rust. I wouldn't be using it but on the weekends and sometimes not at all for up to a few weeks probably.

I will check out Davis. Thanks again.

I would like to thank all of the contributors of this thread. I have been pretty good at smoking a lot of different foods but ribs were not among my big successes. Yesterday I tried again using the many tips picked up here. The details: Pulled the membrane off. Soaked for about 18 hours in apple cider. Dried with paper towels and then rubbed with my homemade version of Emeril's essence. I use mesquite lump natural charcoal and hickory chunks soaked in water for smoke. Fired up the brinkman's gourmet smoker and filled the drip pan with water. kept a fairly even temp throughout. Smoked ribs on top rack. Mopped with an olive oil, apple cider vinegar and grace hot sauce mix. six and a half hours later, the best ribs I've ever smoked, perfectly pulls off the bone, tasty, tender, not really needing additional sauce, but a small amount of a vinegary and hot sauce spiced up prepared sauce made for a nice touch. These ribs would have matched up just fine against any and all comers. Once again, thanks to all of the bbq maestros of the forum, I just love it when a plan comes together.

I would like to thank all of the contributors of this thread.  I have been pretty good at smoking a lot of different foods but ribs were not among my big successes.  Yesterday I tried again using the many tips picked up here.  The details:  Pulled the membrane off.  Soaked for about 18 hours in apple cider.  Dried with paper towels and then rubbed with my homemade version of Emeril's essence.  I use mesquite lump natural charcoal and hickory chunks soaked in water for smoke.  Fired up the brinkman's gourmet smoker and filled the drip pan with water.  kept a fairly even temp throughout.  Smoked ribs on top rack.  Mopped with an olive oil, apple cider vinegar and grace hot sauce mix.  six and a half hours later, the best ribs I've ever smoked, perfectly pulls off the bone, tasty, tender, not really needing additional sauce, but a small amount of a vinegary and hot sauce spiced up prepared sauce made for a nice touch.  These ribs would have matched up just fine against any and all comers.  Once again, thanks to all of the bbq maestros of the forum, I just love it when a plan comes together.

Isn't it great when it all comes together! What did you use to pull the membrane off with? How long did you smoke them? The soaking the ribs really helps.

I think the next time I am in the market for a smoker I'll call Dee for advice.

I used a chef's knife (my favorite tool) to get it started enough to grab and used my hands for the rest. The actual smoking time was six and a half hours. Started mopping after two and a half hours. I agree about the soaking, I have heard the guys who follow the contest circuit mention either soaking or injecting apple cider.

• 3 weeks later...

Parents used to take me to McLard's in Hot Springs as a kid back in the '60s. I believe it is still in operation. The Railhead was pretty good from the time I spent in Fort Worth. Now, in DC, I have resorted to producing my own. Not bad if I say so myself, and have gotten a few completes from the block.

An easy straight forward sauce:

1.5 cup apple cider vinegar

.5 cup ketchup

.5 tsp cayenne or red pepper flakes

1 Tsp sugar (recommend raw sugar)

1 tsp salt

pepper to taste

I usually heat and thicken just a touch.

Here is a site that has some helpful information.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/

• 1 month later...

Parents used to take me to McLard's in Hot Springs as a kid back in the '60s.  I believe it is still in operation.  The Railhead was pretty good from the time I spent in Fort Worth.  Now, in DC, I have resorted to producing my own.  Not bad if I say so myself, and have gotten a few completes from the block.

An easy straight forward sauce:

1.5 cup  apple cider vinegar

.5 cup    ketchup

.5 tsp     cayenne or red pepper flakes

1 Tsp      sugar (recommend raw sugar)

1 tsp       salt

pepper to taste

I usually heat and thicken just a touch.

Here is a site that has some helpful information.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/

McClards is one of the big ones. Clinton used to have it picked up often.

Dee, KaiserSETSay, and I ventured down in the hood to the original Simm's BBQ. The ribs are the best I have had. They were even better than the other two Simm's in town which suprised me. They don't need no sauce to make them taste good. We had a great lunch talking about audio nervosa and having some great food. We should do it more often guys.

They covered up the bullet holes with a big metal sheet but the door says it all.

mail-2.jpg

Less than 30 days and counting, enroute to LR. Gonna stop at Corky's on I-40 (Memphis) for some of the dry rub ribs (one of my favorites!!!) [<:o)] and quick detour to "tubedepot" (also in Memphis). Hope to see Dee and maybe some others while there in LR (from 19th through the 23rd). Where's Simms? Do they do Master Charge?....[;)]

Less than 30 days and counting, enroute to LR. Gonna stop at Corky's on I-40 (Memphis) for some of the dry rub ribs (one of my favorites!!!) [<:o)] and quick detour to "tubedepot" (also in Memphis). Hope to see Dee and maybe some others while there in LR (from 19th through the 23rd). Where's Simms? Do they do Master Charge?....[;)]

They do Master Charge and we should get some locals together and go out for some grub. 

• 4 months later...

thought y'all might enjoy this....

Where is that?

I have tried a couple more rib places in town and so far nothing compares to ribs. This week I am going to try Whole Hog and Cross Eyed pig before I get back on the diet :)

Yep it is getting to be that time of year again.[:P] I wanted to do some ribs yesterday since the weather was in the mid 60's but I had to go out of town on business. Unfortunately it is raining and in the 40's today. I cant wait to start the fire.

We just had a party at my dad's this past weekend. the quartets i gave him sound great, and the grill was busy with wild boar tenderloin, pork spare ribs, my special leg of lamb recipe, quail wrapped around cream cheese, and probably something else I've forgotten. His grill is propane, but augmented with home made wood chip smoker. A good time was certainly had by all and the weather in McKinney texas that saturday night was perfect.