OT Southern BBQ Ribs

seti

Ya'll were making me so hungry I went to the store bought ribs chickens and some tenderloins. I am scared of them DRY birds....I hates them..... so to prevent drybird I like to shoot mine up with a zesty spicy marinade for the insides : ) I usually bump them so full of liquids that they start leaking. It usually prevents DBS or dry bird syndrome..... The guy who invented the injection system is my hero!

Had to leave the house since the housekeeper was here so I went to brunch at a restaurant on the Cape Fear River. Had a medium rare flat iron steak salad with bleu chese and cherry tomatoes on a bed of spinach and arugala. What timing.....a square rigged tall ship made its way up the river as the tourist snapped pictures. It was so pleasant on the river that I stuck around and had a stout beer and the wife a bloody mary. Saw an old veteran wearing a hat from a reunion on the USS North Carolina. Wondered to myself how many of the folks walking along the riverwalk were veterans and what stories they could tell.

Okay....I know this is the bbq thread .....just wanted to say I had a good day.....balanced with remembering the reason for this day and remembering all those who served this country so well.

Thanks to all my bbq buds for giving me so many good ideas.

Chuck

Never thought I would be here long enough for an avatar so I have'nt get around to it. I guess I need to do that or I will be called Mr. X. Not even sure I know how to add an avatar....will check with Bluesboy. Thanks for inquiring.

Tarheel

The above was edited as my previous comment looked different in the light of day and not what I had intended. Like that edit function.

Chuck

I'm sorry to hear that Tarheel!

We spent the Memorial Day weekend down there. Stayed at a condo on Carolina Beack/Kure Beach and drove out on Ft. Fischer. With our kids, that is a FAV spot.

I love the downtown area of Wilmington.

Tarheel, stick around! I'm sure you'll have some things to say. This forum to me is one that I get away from for a few months here and there, once even for a year. However, I always have come back even if I have relatively no stimulating input...I just like to keep up with the people I have never met!

Thanks for the kind words Phil. I wish we could have gotten together while you were here. Yesterday I was at Elijahs restaurant sitting outside by the water and had a great time as I mentioned in an earlier post. That would have been a great time to have met you and your family. Perhaps next time.

Carolina Beach, Kure Beach and Ft.Fisher are great areas to visit as is Wrightsville Beach (limited parking) the USS NC, and Wilmington's historic district. The Aquarium and the Ft. Fisher hermits old bunker/home are interesting as well.

As for my pending retirement I have put that on hold.

Chuck

Never thought I would be here long enough for an avatar so I have'nt get around to it. I guess I need to do that or I will be called Mr. X. Not even sure I know how to add an avatar....will check with Bluesboy. Thanks for inquiring.

Hmmm. [:^)]

With no avatar chosen, your avatar should look like this:

anonymous.gif

Instead, it looks like this:

Which means you've chosen one but it's a "busted" link.

[:S]

One good rub.

Thanks to Klipsch4Life who sent a bottle of Strawberry Shake On Championship BBQ Seasoning and Rub. I cooked chicken with this rub over the weekend and it was very good. It's an excellent general purpose rub and would be good on anything on the smoker. For anyone who'd want to check this out, do a google search. There are several web vendors who sell it.

post-11993-13819334174072_thumb.jpg

One more good rub.

I ran across this Chipotle seasoning at Sam's. Was actually looking for Durkee Grill Creations Chicken and Rib rub. (which is also excellent, but Sam's doesn't stock it now. if you should run across the Durkee product, it's ground to the consistency of dust and IMO is better as a shake on for pulled pork warmed up than as a rub on the cooker. Has a too much brown sugar and tends to get dark quick on the cooker)

The Chipotle seasoning has lots of onion and garlic, too. Used this on pork shoulder this weekend and thought it was very good. It imparts that distinctive Chipotle taste, which IMO is pleasing. It is coarse in it's consistency, so may look a little chunky on the meat. I've actually wondered if it might do well going for a spin in a food processor or blender to be more finely ground. Anyway, it was something a little different in terms of rub flavor.

post-11993-13819334174572_thumb.jpg

Are you home from vacation yet?

I hate to admit I have'nt gotten up to speed on downloading pics from camera to pc. I have never tried....so there are no pics on the pc to change my avatar. May put that on my list of things to learn. Sorry I can't help you with your error message.

Cooked some of the worst hamburgers ever Monday. Wife gave me some very lean ground round from the freezer and it had no flavor at all. A waste of valdalia onions and dinosaur mutha sauce. This will go right up there with my shark fiasco. Does this ever happen to anyone else?

Chuck

sivadselim,

It just dawned on me that your Klipsch userID might be a reference to Sivad who hosted the classic horror feature movies out of Memphis channel 13 back in the day.

NO. Read it backwards. [:o]

Now that's a cool userID

First of all I am amazed at all of the Little Rock folks on this board. Just stumbled onto this thread, and I could write a book on BBQ and have had it all over the country. Hate to say it, but when you consider Kansas City, Memphis, Dallas, and really anywhere else, I have yet to find a town with BBQ that can touch Little Rock. I loved Toms, and knew the story intimately. He was given an offer he couldn't refuse for the land and had to take it. If you ever come to Little Rock, I certainly recommend the Whole Hog, and Sim's (but only on Arch Street with the bullet holes in the door). I would also say don't forget the Dixie Pig in Levy. For the festival it is Memphis in May (but it is harder to get into the BBQ contest than it once was). And, yes, HB's is the spiritual successor to the Shack.

Welcome to the forum JC. We need some new blood....this thread was beginning to slow down. Share some of your recipes and favorite things to grill with us. It's raining here today so the babybacks may have to cook in the oven this time.

Chuck