OT Southern BBQ Ribs

seti

Thanks for the injection info guys. I will definitely try it sometime.

Today we are going to a graduation party and then when we return I have 2 whole chickens rubbed in cayene pepper that I am stuffing with garlic, peppercorn, marinaded pork tenderloin. Haven't done this in a while and I am looking forward. Will be using soaked hickory chips and indirect method on the weber with charcoal of course.

The cornwalls have been out on the patio since Thursday afternoon.....and the backyard will be filled with smoke soon and the frisbee will be flying.....and a few cold ones too of course.

Dee, butts are funny. They weigh in well and chop up nice.....but you do lose some weight with the bone and fat that you will eventually toss out. You'll get what appears to be a lot but it will disappear quick. I usually make 2 myself when I do it and try to find around 8 pounders so we can freeze some. I'm guessing but I would wager a 9 pounder could feed up to 12-15 people well. Maybe less than that. Again I am guessing. Let us know what you get out of them.

Mark, try this with your whole chicken. Grab a beer. Drink half of it. Take the can and stuff it up the chickens you know what and smoke it on the grill. Ya just ain't lived till you've had Beer Can Chicken. Hmmm.... I think feel a new country song coming on.

I inject pork loin, chicken, ham, turkey, beef roast, sometimes steaks, and just about any other meat but sausage and hamburger . I have one injector that's over a foot long-works great with large cuts. The commercial sauces are good, but I usually start with wine, balsamic vinegar, fruit juice, hot sauce, and spices. Pineapple, apple, or apricot juice works well with pork. You're not going to hurt it by injecting it.

Thebes, I've tried several times to upload a picture to show you that us crackers know rosemary; I have one plant that is the size of a Volkswagon.

SSH

Rosemary! We dated for awhile but it didn't last.[:D]

Great stuff. Can't do lamb without it. You crackers should try adding it to some sourdough for a really great loaf of bread.

My butt is resting at the moment and as I type this so is the one I have upstairs. My camera is acting up so I can't shoot a pick but man does it look and smell great. Plain tonight with simple sides, tomatoes and cukes, and some steamed Brussels sprouts. Tomorrow I brew up some of that coke sauce I mentioned early on. I love the way the flavo9r meld overnight on smoked food, especially lighter fare like whole chicken.

Go Daddy, you cooking fool!

Sounds like the grills are humming. Did lamb chops last Sunday.....may try veal chops tommorow night and ribs memorial day. Anyone done veal before? Any tips?

I've got a new batch of Dinosaur mutha sauce and ready to try it on baby backs. May do a beer can chicken at the same time.

I watched a cooking program once where the cook stuffed a chicken with a cornish game hen and then stuffed both of them in a turkey. Anyone tried that?

Have a great memorial day.

Chuck

How about some pics from the grills : )

I need to get my digital gear organized to do just such as this.

Used a rub heavy on chipotle and it gave the chicken an excellent flavor.

Just finished pulling one of the butts apart. I generally cook them until the bone pulls out.

For dinner tonight, just had the smoked sausage on a bun with mustard. Just a simple thing but great flavor, IMO. The smoked sausage was from Sam's and I'd just give it a C+ for it's grind, not enough meat for my taste, but haven't seen decent smoked sausage (commercial) in years. Putting it on the smoker for a while definitely improves the product.

Jan had picked up a little watermelon and it was the perfect flavor to follow the sausage on a bun.

yum.

Here are my stuffed chickens about 3/4 done, and then completely done and unstuffed. The pork tenderloins cooked perfectly inside the chickens. I'll do that again and again. The stuff disappeared pretty quick too.

post-12535-13819334139436_thumb.jpg

How about some pics from the grills : )

I need to get my digital gear organized to do just such as this.

Used a rub heavy on chipotle and it gave the chicken an excellent flavor. 

Just finished pulling one of the butts apart. I generally cook them until the bone pulls out. 

For dinner tonight, just had the smoked sausage on a bun with mustard. Just a simple thing but great flavor, IMO. The smoked sausage was from Sam's and I'd just give it a C+ for it's grind, not enough meat for my taste, but haven't seen decent smoked sausage (commercial) in years. Putting it on the smoker for a while definitely improves the product.

Jan had picked up a little watermelon and it was the perfect flavor to follow the sausage on a bun.

yum.

Dee, Have you been to the Great Sauce Company on Kavanaugh? I was abit bummed out by their overall selection but I picked up an incredible Jerk rub there.

Mark, Did you inject those chix?

I'm smoking lamb with pecan wood for about two hours-then baking it in the oven, and using balsalmic vinegar & Shiraz to spritz. No ribs were on sale here this week, and you guys have me salivating for a good rack or two, so I'll spend the $4.99/lb, rub them good, and get happy with some good beverages.

Dee, Have you ever visited the Mount Horub Mustard site? They have hundreds of styles of mustard. I make my own with mustard seeds that I get from them.

SSH

Mark....whats the cook time on the pork stuffed chickens?

Not cooking on the grill tonight but tommorow for sure.

Spent the afternoon with Mr.& Mrs. Bluesboy making a jazz tape and having a couple of martinis. Discussed warm up time for tubes and if they start sounding better as time goes by or if its just the alcohol kicking in. We have to start debunking some of the snake oil that is passed off as the gospel.

Happy grilling and thank a veteran.

Chuck

About 2 1/2 hours....low and slow to 165F. They look burnt. But I sprayed them with Marguerita mix to seal them shut. They were juicy as can be and just the skin was black, but not even that crisp. Perfect! The tenderloins were in there whole. I sliced them prior to the picture.

By the way...total cost $14.00.

I'm smoking lamb with pecan wood for about two hours-then baking it in the oven, and using balsalmic vinegar & Shiraz to spritz. No ribs were on sale here this week, and you guys have me salivating for a good rack or two, so I'll spend the $4.99/lb, rub them good, and get happy with some good beverages.

Dee, Have you ever visited the Mount Horub Mustard site? They have hundreds of styles of mustard. I make my own with mustard seeds that I get from them.

SSH

Reread the last page of this thread this morning as I start thinking about tonights menu. SSH.... the smoked lamb sounds wonderful. Did you smoke a leg of lamb? How long on the smoker and how long in the oven.....what temperature.

Chuck

Chuck,

The lamb is a semi-boneless leg. It looked so comfortable on the smoker that I left it there for five smoking hours. I would have baked at 325 until 150 degrees on the meat thermometer (That's when I took it off of the smoker.).

SSH

Thanks....I'll have to try that.

Never heard of anyone making there own mustard....must have lived a sheltered life. Can you tell me more about that and why you make your own?

Saw a bbq show yesterday on the food channel and one group uses pecan hulls to smoke the pork. They also inject apple cider into the pork shoulders. Lot of good tips there.

Out the door to brunch. May have some coastal eggs benedict. Crab cakes instead of canadian bacon or ham.

Chuck

That's a new one on me. Very cool idea to stuff the chickens with tenderloin.

Could you say more about using the Marguerita mix?

Dee,

I usually spray apple juice on chickens to seal the skin during grilling. It just makes a light crust and seals in the juices. But....I forgot to buy a small bottle and so I had to use what was available. We sampled some marguerita mix that we had and said this is perfect.....what an idea.

Of course it is just to keep the inside of the meat moist, and you get no added flavor at all actually.

Chuck,

I use recipes from The Mustard Book, purchased from The Mount Horub Mustard Museum (online). Scores of different styles are set-out in a cookbook format, along with descriptions and suggestions. It's very easy and delicious to make your own.

SSH