OT Southern BBQ Ribs

seti

The grouper was tasty. I have never worked with the lower air controls on the Weber before and actually choked the coals down too much. It was a learning process and next time should be better. I cooked the chicken for an hour first with the air intake at half open and then closed it completely for the fish. Not a bad meal at all........ just threw off my schedule for dinner a little.

Thanks for the tips Mark.

Chuck

Chuck,

I need to check out the grouper over charcoal.

On the draft control, I haven't cooked much on a weber, but the advice a guy gave me I found helpful on my cooker. The Weber may require more finesse, but I have found it is easier to slow down the draft from the bottom when the top is wide open. Something about as long as you're giving the air a place to flow out the intake can better take restriction.

Anyway, advice not asked for..... the grouper sounds excellent.

I do the same thing. I close the bottom dampers down to about 1/4 inch open (or even a hair less) and leave the top damper all the way open. That's pretty much my standard setting for anything that cooks with the top on (ribs, butts, chickens, fish....pretty much everything except steak, burgers, and dogs).

Of course I am talking Georgia warm weather here also. In colder weather it definitely requires a hotter fire.

Dee....your advice is always welcome. Thanks to you and Mark for your comments. What I did wrong was close the bottom vents completely. Like you guys said the bottom vents need to be open a little. In the past I have left the bottom ones open all the way and adjusted the top. If the fire was to hot I just cooked indirectly. It was a big slab of grouper and needed a little more heat than I was providing.

You know I have been told not to wash the cooking grate just to wire brush it but mine is getting kind of funky. May have to buy a new one or pressure wash the old one. I have a friend that has used the same Weber since the late 70s and I guess mine are at least 8 years old. Weber use to send litte booklets with products and cooking tips but I haven't received one in some time.

Chuck

Not ready to let this thread die so check in guys. Whats on the grill this weekend?

I am refurbishing one of the two Webers with a new coal grate and a new cooking grate. May just do steaks one night....maybe some filet mignon. Will wrap a slice of bacon around the outside edge and cook the filets medium rare along with some Vidalia onions and maybe grilled french bread with butter and garlic. Bought a bottle of Dalmore Cigar Malt for grilling time.

A friend from California is here checking out some locations for a new HBO series he will be producing. We have been to a lot of bars looking for the right one for the first show[;)] Peter always enjoys southern food and misses our sweet tea.....says no one in California can make it right. He also loves bar-b-que and gravy biscuits from McDonalds with the little bits of sausage. Funny the things you miss when they are not available.

Okay Mark, Kaiser, Dee, Seti, Arky, Phil, Bluesboy......whats on your menu?

Chuck

I'm going to get the cooker moved out of the carport into the yard. Don't know if I'll get anything on it or not, but that would really be nice.

My daughter is interested in learning how to grill, so we may do some chicken.

Not ready to let this thread die so check in guys.  Whats on the grill this weekend?

I am refurbishing one of the two Webers with a new coal grate and a new cooking grate.  May just do steaks one night....maybe some filet mignon.  Will wrap a slice of bacon around the outside edge and cook the filets medium rare along with some Vidalia onions and maybe grilled french bread with butter and garlic.  Bought a bottle of Dalmore Cigar Malt for grilling time. 

A friend from California is here checking out some locations for a new HBO series he will be producing.  We have been to a lot of bars looking for the right one for the first show[;)]  Peter always enjoys southern food and misses our sweet tea.....says no one in California can make it right.  He also loves bar-b-que and gravy biscuits from McDonalds with the little bits of sausage.  Funny the things you miss when they are not available.

Okay Mark, Kaiser, Dee, Seti, Arky, Phil, Bluesboy......whats on your menu?

Chuck

I have alot of work to do this weekend. The goal is to at least buy some meat and get a good marinate started for sunday. Going to try real coal and small amount of wood chips.

Has anyone mentioned Birmingham area BBQ?

I know it's sacrilege, but I've sampled a lot of Memphis BBQ and I honestly think the great B'ham area joints have Memphis beat. [:o]

And being from the Mississippi Delta originally, I gotta give a shout out to Leo's in Clarksdale, MS. [H]

Dee

Did you get your rub?

KG

I was just coming on the forum to post my thanks. Got it!

I'd hoped to do some cooking this weekend, but don't think I'll get the cooker fired up after all.

Looking forward to doing some pork shoulder and chicken with this rub. I'll let you know what I think.

I know it's sacrilege, but I've sampled a lot of Memphis BBQ and I honestly think the great B'ham area joints have Memphis beat. [:o]

And being from the Mississippi Delta originally, I gotta give a shout out to Leo's in Clarksdale, MS. [H]

Can you find good bar-b-que in Colorado? What are the sauces like? Do the folks there grill differently from us southerners? Anything exotic? Just curious since you have live in the south and west.

Chuck

You're from the Mississippi Delta? Where from? Clarkesdale? My mother and brother were born in Lambert. (Quitman County) Used to go back there to visit my grandmother when I was a kid.

A friend takes me out for bbq in Birmingham when I'm there. Unfortunately I'm having an attack of amnesia as to the name of the place. They do good Q. When ordering the diner can specify how much "blonde" or "brown" they want in the chopped pork. That's the only place I know that takes orders like that. Personally, I like the "renowned Mr. Brown" crusty edges on pork shoulder.

Can you find good bar-b-que in Colorado? What are the sauces like? Do the folks there grill differently from us southerners? Anything exotic? Just curious since you have live in the south and west.

There IS barbecue out here, but I've not explored it too much. I should. What I've tried, KT's, wasn't bad; just no BBQ joint atmosphere. There is a place in Boulder called "Daddy Bruce's" that's the classic little cinder block building that's mostly a pit and a counter with a couple of stools. I don't know why I've not tried it out. There's also a rib place in Longmont, "The Rib House", that gets a lot of press, but it's too fancy-shmancy for a BBQ joint. Seems most of the owners around here (Boulder County) are transplants from the south or KC. Denver has BBQ, too, but, again, I've not checked any of it out.

Couple of My Local Colorado BBQ links:

http://www.ktsbbq.com/

http://theribhouse.info/

You're from the Mississippi Delta? Where from? My mother and brother were born in Lambert.

I'm from Shaw. A little town about 10 miles south of Cleveland on Hwy. 61. I know Lambert well; over there near Marks. [:D] Dated a girl from Belen in college.

You know, there are quite a few folks from MS who don't know where Lambert it. My brother and I used to walk up the railroad tracks to Marks.

bar-b-que and gravy biscuits from McDonalds with the little bits of sausage. Funny the things you miss when they are not available.

Okay Mark, Kaiser, Dee, Seti, Arky, Phil, Bluesboy......whats on your menu?

Chuck

Well, graduations this weekend....so nothing. But I have 5 days off for next weekend and I have at least one major grilling planned. A turkey, and some pork tenderloin one afternoon. Some whole chickens another day (minor). We'll also do a simple burgers and dogs at least once.

I've been cutting up some trees we downed for the satellite signal, and we'll probably do some dogs on skewers when we burn them next weekend.....with the cornwalls on the patio making noise. Might make up some venison chili for that event. Should be a few people over.

I'm hoping I stay home with the family all weekend and not even leave the house. I'm a little tired right now.

Everything turned out okay.....tenderloin of beef, corn...on the cob, valdalia onion, and italian bread. The vodka tonics were good as well and tommorow night its rack of lamb and popping the top on that Dalmore cigar malt. Is life good or what?

Chuck