OT Southern BBQ Ribs

seti

Thanks for the kind words Keith. Since Bluesboy told me about your recent news you have been in my thoughts quite a bit. I know that things will work out for the best. If you ever need a break you have an open invitation to come to the Port City and share ribs and music with us. Do what you have to.....we can rebuild your system later.

Chuck

Pressure washed half the house and all of my Weber. Just got through with lamb chops mainated in soy, rosemary, and dijon. More vidalia onions, and cauliflower. The wife said the lamb was cooked just right.

Didn't leave home today and just enjoyed the peace and quite. Nature in all its glory with colors and smells that make you glad to be alive. Magnolia blossoms and some vine that I can't remember the name of added to my enjoyment. The yard looks good and half the house is clean. I am tired but its a good tired from hard work and good results. A little buzz going and some red eyes from reading Tom Blasing's thread and remembering the loyal pets in my life as well.

Chuck

Kevin,

Whoaa. Man that is great rub. I sprinkled it on some 1 inch thick boneless pork chops, just grilled over charcoal with some hickory thrown in the mix. It was a sweet time because my 19 year old daughter wants to learn to grill, so we cooked out together. Also had some Petit Jean Arkansas style smoked sausage.

Tell you what, that rub has a great flavor. We just brought the chops in and ate them right off the grill. No sauce could improve what we already had. That is a great rub recipe those guys put together. Thanks so much for sending it over.

This weekend I grilled brats and veggies. I soaked the brats in New Castle Brown Ale slathered them in hot sauce and man were they good.

Dee, Did you make it too the Greek Food Festival? The roasted lamb platter us unreal!

Seti,

My daughter made it to the Greek festival. I didn't get there, but she also said it was fabulous.

I would like to taste lamb done right. Used to get Greek gyro's in Atlanta that were wonderful. They would cut the highly seasoned lamb off a huge skewer that was turning in a broiler outfit.

Tim,

It was Athens Pizza in Decatur, practically on the Emory campus. Could be the same folks.

Never have tried Saganaki. Sounds good though. I think feta cheese is a great taste. Athens would put it on pizza loaded with green peppers and onions. I mean loaded.

I'm glad you enjoyed it Dee. Strawberry's is about 10 miles from my hometown, and anytime I go home I have to venture over there. As I mentioned, he has won Memphis in May several times and has really garnered a following. His pork steak is to die for- about 2 lbs if not more-no way to eat it all. It will easily fill a complete plate, from rim to rim. That and crisp fried okra and some home made au-gratain potatoes and you are ready for the easy chair, for sure...

I'm in Little Rock once a week so I am going to start trying the establishments that you all have mentioned.

KG

OT, but how are the Doe's in Arkansas?

You oughta go to the original one in Greenville, MS. It's a shack in a shady neighborhood. You walk in and the steaks are being cooked in the very front room in and on old cast iron stoves. You then have to literally walk through the kitchen to get to the seating. Great steaks, great hot tamales (southern hot tamales could be another whole topic!), and a dining experience you won't get anywhere else. People fly in on charter jets just to go to Doe's Eat Place in Greenville.

The Original Doe's

http://www.doeseatplace.com/

The Little Rock Doe's

http://www.doeseatplace.net/

Man.....those steaks at Doe's look good....2 and 3 pounders at that. Figure that Porterhouse would be about $50. Its almost time for the long weekend.....two supermarkets have babyback ribs for $2.99 a pound. Can't beat that with a stick. May have to get a rack or three for the holiday.

Happy Grilling

OT, but how are the Doe's in Arkansas?

You oughta go to the original one in Greenville, MS.  It's a shack in a shady neighborhood.  You walk in and the steaks are being cooked in the very front room in and on old cast iron stoves.  You then have to literally walk through the kitchen to get to the seating.  Great steaks, great hot tamales (southern hot tamales could be another whole topic!), and a dining experience you won't get anywhere else.  People fly in on charter jets just to go to Doe's Eat Place in Greenville.

The Original Doe's

http://www.doeseatplace.com/

The Little Rock Doe's

http://www.doeseatplace.net/

My girl and I went to Doe's just last week. The soaked salad and steak were great. It is one of the few places I like steaks better than my back yard. The quality of beef at Doe's is superb and ALWAYS cooked as ordered you can even specify one side rare and the other medium rare. KILLER! I haven't been to the original since I was about 10yo and I probably ordered a burger LOL....

Butt!!!!!!!!

We're getting a bit off topic here, more tales than advice. See Forum Rule #37: "All threads must give or impart knowledge".

Butt indeed!!! Picked up one today that's bigger than my own, cut special by the Butcher. Boneless. Going in the smoker. Pork don'tcha know.

I'm thinking dry rub with apple wood. Was thinking a jerk sauce but don't have the ingredients to make a good one.

Other thoughts are not only welcomed but encouraged.

While I'm at it, jut what are you cooking up this weekend?

Thebes,

Sounds like you are right on track. The additional thing I might consider is the Dinosaur barbeque mop sauce for periodic basting during cooking. That recipe is in an earlier portion of this thread I believe. Otherwise I wouldn't change anything...dry rub and apple wood sound good to me for a butt.

Thebes,

Sounds like you are right on track.  The additional thing I might consider is the Dinosaur barbeque mop sauce for periodic basting during cooking.  That recipe is in an earlier portion of this thread I believe.  Otherwise I wouldn't change anything...dry rub and apple wood sound good to me for a butt.

I agree that does sound really good. I wanted to try slow cooking/smoking ribs this weekend but I have lined up so much work for myself not sure if I'll get around to it. If I give in to temptation I will brine, dry rub, and then a long slow cook. YUB

The Jerk rubs are amazing and I have one I picked up at a sauce store.

There is a new sporting goods store called Academy Sports that just came to Athens, Ga. a few months ago. They have a surprisingly excellent grill section in that store. Lots of grills, smoke cookers and accessories. But....the best part is the range of rubs, marinades, and especially injection flavorings.

I have always used rubs but I never tried injecting anything. Anyone do that with any good success?

I'm going to do "something" on the weber tomorrow. Last night I just did some burgers and dogs. I was thinking of a turkey, and wondering about injecting it.

Mark thanks for you kind thoughts and advise.

I've tried injecting at least a dozen times and always been disappointed. But. I don't think I've ever injected and smoked. Reluctant to take a chance and ruin the main meal, I guess.

In other words, inject but keep something else on the smoker at the same time in case it goes wrong.

Funny you should mention it, but I will be using the Dinosaur rub. I've also got some Anchor Bar original buffalo wing sauce around. Hmm, maybe a combo.

Marty,

Sounds like you've got a good cooking session ahead. The apple wood is excellent for smoking.

Mark,

I have injected turkeys before deep frying, but never have injected anything for the smoker. Don't know why it wouldn't work.

I went to Sam's Club today and picked up some Boston butt, chicken and smoked sausage to put on the cooker early in the morning. This session is to test how many servings are to be derived from a couple of 9 lb butts. Will be getting ready to cook for a Habitat for Humanity fundraiser on Wednesday. Any guesses on the after cooking yield of meat on butt? I have never paid that much attention to serving size, but Wednesday will be fixing for sixty to eighty folks.

Thanks for the injection info guys. I will definitely try it sometime.

Today we are going to a graduation party and then when we return I have 2 whole chickens rubbed in cayene pepper that I am stuffing with garlic, peppercorn, marinaded pork tenderloin. Haven't done this in a while and I am looking forward. Will be using soaked hickory chips and indirect method on the weber with charcoal of course.

The cornwalls have been out on the patio since Thursday afternoon.....and the backyard will be filled with smoke soon and the frisbee will be flying.....and a few cold ones too of course.

Dee, butts are funny. They weigh in well and chop up nice.....but you do lose some weight with the bone and fat that you will eventually toss out. You'll get what appears to be a lot but it will disappear quick. I usually make 2 myself when I do it and try to find around 8 pounders so we can freeze some. I'm guessing but I would wager a 9 pounder could feed up to 12-15 people well. Maybe less than that. Again I am guessing. Let us know what you get out of them.