OT Southern BBQ Ribs

seti

• Moderators

I have a home made one designed after this, mine it a little bigger .I have a few more things to do on it and it will be done.

Dtel,

This is a very nice cooker you are using as an example. Who builds this one?

Sorry Daddy Dee, I thought I had put it. http://www.tejassmokers.com/ Model 2044cc I think it was.

I am going to post a pic in a few minutes, remember it's not done and not very pretty, but one day it will be, soon as I get back to it, been on other projects.

• Moderators

The smoker box on the left is 21" wide X 26" deep and 4' tall. The area next to it is almost 5' long and 26" deep. The firebox is 2 foot square with a rack to build the fire on and an ash tray that slides out from under the rack. The sell the propane log lighters that light the firewood in the firebox to make it easier. There is a threaded nipple welded on the smoker door and the other big door for separate thermometers in each compartment.

I think when it's done I will try to find someone to sandblast it, so it could be painted, I hate to think about useing a wire wheel or grinder that much.

I couldn't resist. Here is last night's salmon. I discussed how I did it in an earlier post. Absolutely fantastic. This was shot right as I took it off the grill.

Edit: I see I was mistaken about how I did the salmon. So just in case anyone is interested: 45 minute marinade in italian dressing and the juice of 1 large lemon. 25 minutes over the coals with the soaked hickory chips and grill set to LOW. Salmon was skinned prior and not flipped. Of course the top was on the weber the whole cooking time.

post-12535-13819333897576_thumb.jpg

Thats a great shot of the Salmon.....man I can almost taste it. Mark is that 25 minutes over the coals or are you doing indirect cooking? If you were a little closer I would have to invite myself to dinner. That filet looks wonderful.

Chuck

The smoker box on the left is 21" wide X 26" deep and 4' tall. The area next to it is almost 5' long and 26" deep. The firebox is 2 foot square with a rack to build the fire on and an ash tray that slides out from under the rack. The sell the propane log lighters that light the firewood in the firebox to make it easier. There is a threaded nipple welded on the smoker door and the other big door for separate thermometers in each compartment.

I think when it's done I will try to find someone to sandblast it, so it could be painted, I hate to think about useing a wire wheel or grinder that much.

dtel,

I think you've done a fabulous job on that cooker. You do some good looking welding, bro. Also, having equipped it with casters for patio use, that is creative. It would also be an excellent design for trailer mounting, IMO.

Tejas does a good job on their cookers. I've talked to that guy on the phone several times and have purchased accessories from him. He turns out a slick looking cooker.

Yeh, when you get ready to paint, sandblasting would go quicker, I suppose. Wonder if you can rent a sandblaster. Now that would be a fun afternoon.

Dave Klose told me that he thinks the high temp paint works better with several coats brushed on. He thinks it is a little thin when it comes out of a spray can. His stuff looks pretty smooth, too. He was getting kind of obsessive trying to find a paint which would not burn off the firebox. He's had the best luck after he got hold of the same paint used on the space shuttle. Two problems, though. It is $1300 a gallon and it only comes in bright white, so it smudges badly. He was, though, unable to burn it off the firebox.

Thats a great shot of the Salmon.....man I can almost taste it. Mark is that 25 minutes over the coals or are you doing indirect cooking? If you were a little closer I would have to invite myself to dinner. That filet looks wonderful.

Chuck

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Directly over the coals with the bottom dampers almost shut so the fire is just barely going. You can see some of the soaked hickory chips didn't burn up all the way. I really was not bragging by posting that shot. It is SOOO easy to do salmon like this. The hardest part is getting it off in one piece. Notice I put it on in-line with the grill grate. Important alignment. This way you can use 2 spatulas to slide and scrape gently under the salmon down the length of it and then lift it off.

The only reason I even had the picture was my son took it because it was his anniversary and wanted pictures of all the food and table settings. Last night was a big night at home for us.

• Moderators

Yeh, when you get ready to paint, sandblasting would go quicker, I suppose. Wonder if you can rent a sandblaster. Now that would be a fun afternoon.

I am not sure about turning dtel loose with a sandblaster!!!! He might enjoy it too much!!! I am sure he could figure out a way to "disintegrate" other things around here with a sandblaster.

Dave Klose told me that he thinks the high temp paint works better with several coats brushed on. He thinks it is a little thin when it comes out of a spray can. His stuff looks pretty smooth, too. He was getting kind of obsessive trying to find a paint which would not burn off the firebox. He's had the best luck after he got hold of the same paint used on the space shuttle. Two problems, though. It is $1300 a gallon and it only comes in bright white, so it smudges badly. He was, though, unable to burn it off the firebox.

I would think at $1300.00 a gallon and being used on the space shuttle the paint should last, but uhhh.....Dee that's a little expensive. I don't think dtel will be using that paint. I mean besides....it smudges badly???? That bar-b-que pit dtel built is a "monster" as it is, I can hardly lift the top, it's very well made. I don't want "smudged" paint on that piece of work!!![;)]

Actually, it is a really nice pit and we saved lots of money with dtel building it. He is a very good welder, a job he did in one of his past lives. I hope he can get it finished soon. Like he said, he has been working on other projects...so much to do....so little time.

• Moderators

OMG, road trip to dtels[;)]

Maybe when we get that bar-b-que pit finished we can have a "Southern Hoedown" and invite everyone!!! I guess we will have to invite the "Northeners" so they can see what a real "Hoedown" is supposed to be!!!![;)]

OMG, road trip to dtels[;)]

Maybe when we get that bar-b-que pit finished we can have a "Southern Hoedown" and invite everyone!!! I guess we will have to invite the "Northeners" so they can see what a real "Hoedown" is supposed to be!!!![;)]

You may want to think about that. Once the northerners get a taste of southern living they will want to move down here...and we're crowded enough.[H]

Never made it to the grocery store....worked in the yard all day except for a quick trip to Bluesboy's shop. He has built several pairs of modded khorns and La Scalas and is preparing to build a pair of full range single driver speakers using a Fostex driver. The speakers will be on pedestals. The plans look pretty neat. I may buy a pair to match with my vintage HK tubed receiver in a second system.

So anyway as I mentioned the wife is out of town so now it looks like leftover italian and nothing on the grill. Just too tired to get started. Sunday night the grill will be going. Iam just a stones throw from a seafood market and there will be fish and maybe some shrimp on the grill even if it rains.

Just played Mark Knopfler's Sailing to Philladelphia....great cd...with Van Morrison and James Taylor and others.

Chuck

Made it to the seafood market. Asked what was swimming this morning......got to have fresh. Ended up with 1 and 1/2 pounds of grouper. The most pricey at $14.95 a pound.

Followed Marks italian and lime juice marinade recipe.

Hate to waste a grill fire for just a little fish so I also bought some chicken thighs and wings for tommorow night. This afternoon Bluesboy made some Dinosaur cookbook dry rub and a double batch of the mutha sauce. We split that up and both will be used on the chicken tonight. I am going to slow cook the chicken and later turn everything down a notch and put on the fish and asparagus. Marinated the asparagus in oil and vinegar and sea salt.

The coals are going and its a vodka tonic and 20 minutes of the Players Tournament before the chicken goes on.

Hope all of you have a pleasant afternoon as well[:)]

Chuck