OT Southern BBQ Ribs

seti

It occurs to me that of all the couples we share meals with.....there is only one couple where the wife does the grilling. Is it just me or is grilling suppose to be a mans job? I always looked at this guy a little different after making this discovery. What do you say guys? Am I opening a can of worms with this one? Do you feel the same way?

Chuck

• Like 1

As long as one end of that 2 block run has LaScalla's firing down the street past all the cooks[:D]

I'll reach out on a limb here and say your grill is akin to tools and leave it at that[:#]

The wife and I are going to Boston/Provincetown for Memorial day weekend and we have already agreed its fresh seafood daily, I envy your local Chuck[;)]

Any of you guys have a special wing recipe? I hear Spongeworthy makes some really fine wings and I look forward to trying his in a week or two. Bluesboy does a great job with ribs. If your wings are noteworthy let me know your secrets.

Chuck

Any of you guys have a special wing recipe? I hear Spongeworthy makes some really fine wings and I look forward to trying his in a week or two. Bluesboy does a great job with ribs. If your wings are noteworthy let me know your secrets.

Chuck

I have a problem with wings.......too much work not enough meat. I like to take the Wing recipes and apply them to drumsticks in addition to injecting hot sauce into them.... YUMMMY

Okay guys here's the three step guide to great Bar B Que. These are from the Dinosaur Bar B Que cook book. I highly recommend you get the book because everything in it is great! First up is the all purpose Red Rub:

1/2 cup paprika

1/2 cup kosher salt

1/2 cup light brown sugar

1/2 cup granulated garlic

6 tbls granulated onion

1/4 cup chili powder

1 tblsp black pepper

1 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Dump all the ingredients into a bowl and rub them together with your hands. Store in a plastic or glass container until ready to use. Makes 2 and 3/4 cups.

The next step is the Mopping Sauce . . .

1 cup white vinegar

1/2 cup water

2 tblsp vegetable oil

2 tblsp worchestershire sauce

2 tblsp all purpose red rub (from previous recipe)

tabasco sauce

Throw everything together in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Cool, pour into a plactic container, cover, and refridgerate for later use. Makes 1 and 3/4 cups

Finally The MUTHA SAUCE!!!!!

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 cup minced onion

1/2 cup minced green pepper

3 jalapenos peppers/seeded and minced

a pinch each of kosher salt and black pepper

2 tblsps minced garlic

28 oz. tomato sauce

2 cups ketchup

1 cup water

3/4 cup of worchestershire sauce

1/2 cup cidar vinegar

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup molasses

1/4 cup cayenne pepper sauce

1/4 cup spicy brown mustard

3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed

1 tblspn chile powder

2 tspoons black pepper

1/2 tspoon ground allspice

1 tblspoon liquid smoke

Pour the oil into a large sauce pan and set over medium high heat. Toss in the onions, green peppers, and jalapenos, and give them a stir. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until soft and golden. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Dump in everything else except the liquid smoke. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat so the sauce simmers. Simmer for 10 minutes. Swirl in the liquid smoke and let the sauce cool. Pour it into a container, cover, and store in the fridge until ready to use. Makes 6 to 7 cups.

This is best used as a finishing sauce.

Thanks for the recipes Bluesboy......I've tried them and they are definitely keepers. Mutha sauce is a little involved (lot of ingredients) but worth the effort.

Wonder if it will take the skip out of track 8 of "Modern Times" by Bob Dylan....a brand new cd from Amazon I just now played.....I hate it when that happens.

Chuck

I have been using the Dinosaur Barbeque Cajun Foreplay rub, Mop sauce (as posted), and mutha sauce (from bottles) for YEARS. I have the dinosaur cook book and although the recipes are labor intensive they are the real thing served at the restaurants. Before I moved to Georgia I lived in Syracuse for 40 years and LIVED at the "Dino". Was my favorite hangout. Blues music, brews, barbeque, and Harley Davidsons.

In fact I was just there 2 weeks ago on a business trip and had the mojito chicken, some ribs, beans, and some mashed potatoes and gravy. Still tastes the same. Ashley Cox was playing that night.

I can get my whole kitchen and back yard woods smoking, smelling (and tasting) exactly like the Dinosaur restaurant with the recipes for the mop sauce and mutha sauce posted above. Great on ribs, butts (shoulders) and chickens.

Try rubbing port shoulders (butts) with the cajon foreplay rub (highly recommended) and use the mop sauce while they slow cook (charcoal and hickory). Man....you can't beat that smell. I'm using much the same slow cook/smoke techniques as mentioned earlier in this thread. An all day affair.

I can vouch that using the Dinosaur recipes are the very best I have ever made at home on the grill. I always surprise everyone with what comes off the grill when I make Dinosaur barbeque. It draws a lot of attention.

Long live the Dinosaur Barbeque.

By the way, the mutha sauce is a royal PITA to make at home. You can buy bottles of it lots of places, and from the website. Same with the cajon foreplay rub. I just use it from bottles.

Edit: cajon foreplay rub is very close and maybe the same as the all purpose red rub recipe detailed above. That's why I just buy the bottles of it. PITA to make at home.

I have grilled Beefalo, buffalo, and for fish tuna, calamari, and shark. The main thing with fish is to keep it moist watch your time and temp towards the end of a grilling sesion because to high a heat makes most fish gnarly. 

Tarheel, I think Memphis in May still has bbq competion which you can sample quite a bit.

Wouldn't that be a good time[8][:D] It really is time to go to Memphis again....it's been much too long.

Thanks for the tips Mark, Seti, Kaiser. You guys sound like real grill masters.

Lets stir things up a bit......charcoal or gas? I keep it simple and cheap....charcoal and 2 weber grills.

Mark....the Dinosaur site says the mutha sauce is out of stock? I will look again tonight.

Chuck

My take: The convenience of gas is really handy for cooking things like burgers, chicken breast, even steaks. Charcoal is great, but it takes a while to get it right for cooking and it's messy. Gas works well enough for these things. Now, if it's one of those guy Kill It and Grill It gathering, charcoal is the ticket. Men, meat, and fire, it's been that way since the dawn of man.

Cooking fish, it is much better over charcoal than gas. Don't know why it should make so difference, but it really takes up the charcoal flavor. Yum.

For BBQ I've got a log burner cooker and I usually use Pecan, because it's plentiful around my neighborhood. Very few people can tell the difference between smoked meats cooked over Pecan or Hickory, and IMO, Pecan is more forgiving. :Less likely to end up with bitter meat. I usually start a charcoal fire then put on the firewood. Let it burn down substantially before putting any meat on. My favorites are pork shoulder, ie. boston butt or ribs. IMO brisket is waay to much work for the results. People that can do brisket well, more power to ya.

It's fun to cook chicken and smoked sausage on the cooker. I put the chicken on the hot spot next to the fire box just broil it.

Home made smoked sausage is excellent, but it takes a couple of people running the stuffing operation. This is also a great way to do deer sausage., mixed about half and half with pork sausage. Whether it's smoked sausage or breakfast style sausage, the deer/pork mix is pretty good, and not greasy. The deer breakfast sausage needn't be too labor intensive. Usually what I do if someone gives me a deer ham, just take it to a meat market which can get it packed. Just pick up the packages for the freezer. Easy.

What passes for smoked sausage commercially is sad. It's mostly junk ground up to the consistency of bologna. It will do in a pinch, I guess.

If I had a gas grill I would only use it when I was in a hurry. I love the taste of a charcoal grilled food but soon I need a coal smoker then after some practice I can assend to the level of grillmaster.

I was taken to lunch today by a vendor from work and he picked Corky's. I had the slab of ribs half wet half dry and I rate them very very low. The meat was tooo tender almost mushy and lacked flavor boy was I glad I didn't pay as it was not worth $15. I really want to like them but oh well I gave them a second chance.... The next time he wants to go I'll stear him elsewhere. 

When I lived up in Syracuse I had both a Weber and a gas grill. I can remember many a cookout shoveling the snow on the deck to get to the grill. Then, shoveling off the grill and picnic table for some working room. Loved it actually. I have lots of pictures of us cooking out in the winter.

When I moved to Georgia 7 years ago I got 2 new Webers and a smoky Joe.....and ditched the rusty gas grill. I do charcoal for everything.....along with hickory. We mostly grill only on weekends because charcoaol is definitely less convenient and takes time. But the whole grilling process is therapy to me these days. I love everything about grilling with charcoal....from the mess....TO BUILDING THE FIRE, to the sound, to the smell.....the delay that allows some beers to be slung down.....to the better taste. By the way....I really love fire.....just something about it.

I never tasted anything on my gas grill that was better than on charcoal. The charcoal always was best. The gas grill always tasted good and was convenient too.....but not better tasting than charcoal.

Basically, if we don't have the time for a nice cookout.....we eat something else. But I wouldn't criticize a gas griller. Just keep grilling no matter how you do it. I've seen some wild home made grills down here to, both wood fired and gas fired.