DETAILS....Let's go on a cruise.....

dtel's wife

• Moderators

Dtel and I, as well as some family members and friends have decided to take another cruise with Carnival Cruise Lines.

We contacted a long time family friend who is a travel agent for Carnival. She assisted us in booking the following cruise at a "group rate".

The dates of the cruise are April 27, 2008 - May 4, 2008.

We will be departing from Galveston, TX aboard the Conquest. The cruise will take us to Montego Bay, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. The price per person, based on double occupancy is $579.00. this price includes all port charges.

The regular price for this cruise is $549.00 + 202.50 port charges, if booked off the internet.

This will be dtel and I's second cruise with Carnival Cruise Lines. Our first cruise was back in December, after the triple wedding, aboard the Fantasy, which departs from our home port of New Orleans.

Cruise prices are all inclusive with only a few exceptions....any alcoholic beverages, or soft drinks are not included. Any "souvenier shopping" is not included, as well as any "excursions" you may wish to take. The only other money you would be expected to pay is a $10.00 per person per day "gratuity". This gratuity is chump change compared to the excellent service you get with Carnival. It is not a "stuffed shirt" cruise line and there are plenty of things for children, as well as adults.

If any of you are interested let us know and we can provide you with more information. We are really excited about this cruise and hope as many of you as possible take the trip with us.

From what we hear the snorkeling in Grand Cayman is even more beautiful than the snorkeling in Cozumel. If that is true we are in for a wonderful treat, because snorkeling in Cozumel was awesome!!!!!!

One more thing, by booking this far ahead we can make payments all during the year and the deposit is very minimal.

Why don't y'all get to work? [;)]

Ever since the wedding it's been party- [<:o)] travel-[ip] travel-[ap] party. I guess it's gonna be about a gazillion degrees in LA this summer and you'll have to tough it out in the landscaping biz.

Have a fun trip! (yeah, right, like the Dtels could ever be bored)

They should make you guys the cruise 'Entertainment!'[:D]

yer pal,

Michael

• Moderators

Michael, I thought you of all people would know, "it's always a party here". Heck, with nine permanent residents how could it not be a "party" all the time.[;)]

Our "annual" pilgramage to the Smokies just happened to coincide with dtel's appendectomy recovery period. Lucky us, and another thing about the South and landscaping....rain...

Michael, you are just jealous because you have a "REAL JOB" now.[;)]

Just for the record we are "back to work". As much as we love the landscaping business it is still WORK.....especially when its dtel and I doing all the work with the help of our son in law on a part time basis. Our current clients have requested irrigation and landscaping, as well as a flagstone patio and several flagstone walkways....so we will probably be on this project for a while....I love when our clients say, "Just do what you think will look good and let me know how much money you need".

I don't think folks would stick around if we were the 'Entertainment!', that is unless it was one of our "good days".....you know the usual dysfunctional family thing, throw in a few dysfunctional friends and their families and few Klipschters, with their familes and you never know what kind of "Gumbo' you may come up with.[;)]

• Moderators

" Ever since the wedding it's been party- Party!!! travel-Paradise travel-Travel partyBeer. I guess it's gonna be about a gazillion degrees in LA this summer and you'll have to tough it out in the landscaping biz. "

It is always HOT here in the summer and this work does get very tough in the heat, but it's work, just not as much fun. We worked 3 whole, OK 5 hour days this week, that's the most days in a row I worked since I seen you Michael.

We will be working steady for 2 or 3 more weeks then take a little break and start over on the next job but that one will only take a week, then another break.

I tell people I am retired, and it really ticks Christy off !

To give you a better idea we did 4 jobs this one we are on is the 5th job SINCE WE WENT TO HOPE LAST YEAR ! And the average job is less than 2 weeks !

We like time off !......... We both had jobs in the past where we worked plenty enough hours, now the time off is worth much more then the $ we would make doing more jobs.

It's more like work, party, party, relax, listen to music, relax, party, ..............a couple months later work, and repeat !

We are not going to live forever so I don't even plan to spend 50% of my time left working, and we have been probably way less than 20%, but we have plenty of time to be together and do whatever we want. Also we don't work all the time, so it's still FUN for us even after 13 years, hard but fun !

• Moderators

Fini,

Actually we were planning on going to Hope in June of 2008. I thought this cruise would just be a good opportunity for everyone to get together if they wanted to. We really had a good time on the cruise we took in December.

The travel agent we book through is terrific. She is very knowledgable when it comes to Carnival Cruise Lines.

I thought Galveston would be close enough that some Klipsch folks may want to take advantage of the group rate.

Are ya'll going to Indy this year? I sure hope so.

• Moderators

You guys are living the DREAM!

And to think that most of the year you can walk out back and pick/catch dinner- uber cool!

And all this time I have been jealous of you because I thought YOU were living the DREAM.

Michael, is it considered a JOB if you are spending more money than you make on the company's products????[;)]

For you working at KLIPSCH is not a job....it's an adventure...kind of like a treasure hunt.[ip]

• Moderators

Michael, I thought you of all people would know, "it's always a party here". Heck, with nine permanent residents how could it not be a "party" all the time.[;)]

Our "annual" pilgramage to the Smokies just happened to coincide with dtel's appendectomy recovery period. Lucky us, and another thing about the South and landscaping....rain...

What is the weather like in the Smokies in the summer? Where do you usually go when you go?

Travis

• Moderators

Travis,

Weather in the Smokies in the summer SUCKS. It is hot and extremely HUMID. Far mare humid than down here. If you have not already planned a summer trip I would suggest that you do not. Evenings are a little cooler in the summer, but still VERY HUMID.

My favorite places in the Smokies.... Cades Cove, Cataloochee, Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail, a trip from Gatlinburg (Sugarlands Visitors Center) to Oconoluftee Visitors Center (which is just outside Cherokee). Maggie Valley is very nice.

Cataloochee is a lot less traveled than most other places in the Smokies, It takes a full day to really enjoy the trip to Cataloochee, as well as Cades Cove and Sugarlands to Oconoluftee. Once you arrive at the entrance to Cataloochee Valley it is all one/two land dirt roads that wind through the mountains. After twenty five years of touring the Smokies we just discovered this jewel this year.

I am especially fond of fall and winter in the Smokies. There is almost always snow in the higher elevations in the winter and fall is breathtaking in the Smokies. The colors of fall are so brilliant, it is priceless.

Have you already scheduled a trip to the Smokies for summer? I have never been in spring, but I hear it's beautiful.

So are you guys up for a cruise in April 2008???? I hear snorkeling in Grand Cayman is even more beautiful than Cozumel????

If you are seriously going to the Smokies this summer I will put on my thinking cap, round up some of the info I have around here and send it to you, but I strongly advise against going in the summer. Also, the park is extremely crowded during the summer. Going anywhere in the Smokies in summer is like a major traffic jam in New York City. It really spoils the trip. We went ONE time in the summer and we swore we would never go back in summer.

We go at least once a year to the Smokies, if not twice and I will NEVER go in SUMMER again. But if it is the only chance you have to go, do it.

• Moderators

We have not planned anything for summer yet, I just wondered if it was cooler there, and now i know, avoid it for the summer. We are trying to think of something different then Vail for the summer, that is kind of our annual summer deal, Vail, and want to try something different. We were thinking about WI, a bit cooler there. What about Ashville, NC, I heard the mountains are cool there in the summer? Blowing Rock, Chimney Rock, I know it's a rock. I heard 60's in the summer at night, or colder.

I am going to talk to Kelly about the crusie when she gets back later today.

Travis

I am going to try to go on the cruise with my wife.

We go to the Smoky's regulary too. With small kids, summer is the only time we get to go and spend the amount of time we like. What works well for us is to go one of the last weeks in August. Schools there start in mid August, so it is less busy.

In summer, We usually hike in the higher elevations, drive in the valleys.

I still have a hard time calling the bears in the smokys "bears". They are so skinny and small. Nothing like the bears we have here in Wisconsin.

JM

• Moderators

Travis, I do not want to dissuade you from visiting the Smoky Mountain area, which in my opinion includes areas close to the mountains, such as Ashville. If you are going to be sightseeing, primarily by car, of course you would be in air conditioning. It does get down into the upper 60's to mid 70's at night throughout the Smoky Mountain area. However, there is not a lot of night life in the area. If you are going to go to Ashville in the summer you might as well brave the traffic and humidity of the Smoky Mountain area.

Staying on the North Carolina side of the mountains, such as Fontana would eliminate some of the crowd in the evenings, but of course to do any sightseeing you would have to brave the traffic, no matter where you go.

We usually rent a chalet/cabin rather than hotel rooms even in the fall and winter because the crowds pour in on the weekends and the cost is really not that much higher. We have made so many trips to the Smokies I can't even count them anymore, most of those vacations were spent in a cabin. It is really a lot more relaxing. Most of the cabins are equipped with all the amenities of home, including washer/dryer, coffee pots, fridge, stove and probably most important jacuzzi's. However, in winter you can get a room for a little as $19.95 with jacuzzi.

It is a beautiful area, I have never been any further west than Tempe, Arizona, but I can't imagine anything being more beautiful than the Smoky Mountains. It is also intensely rich in history. If you are an American history buff it is something to see, especially Cades Cove and Cattalooche. If you go in summer you should plan at least five to seven days to see all the sights, just in the park. You could spend an entire week in the National Park and still not see all the sights. There are also several horse stables in the park where you can rent horses and take a self tour or a guided tour of some of the areas.

The main problem with traveling to the Smoky Mountain area in summer is the intense traffic and crowds. If you take little hikes on established national park trails it is generally a little cooler, because of course you are in the shade of the forest. Traveling by car you would be comfortable as far as heat and humidity, but the traffic is horrendous, especially Thursday evening-Sunday morning.

If you look at a map of the Eastern United States Ashville, NC is really not that far from the Smokies and could be a one day excursion from anywhere near the park. We have never been to the Biltmore Estate but several friends of ours have gone and say it is unbelievable.

There is so much to see and experience....like Cattalooche Valley...we only saw four or five other people on our visit there in late February.

The Smoky Mountain area is my favorite place in the world, I can't think of anywhere else I would rather be. Our daughters who are now in their late twenties have developed the same deep felt love of the area through the years. Every year they look forward to the annual "Pilgramage" to the Smokies. We have even considered renting a cabin for the week of Christmas to spend Christmas in the Smokies, but with four granchildren and a fifth on the way, we will probably wait another year or two. My birthday is Christmas Day and spending Christmas in the Smokies is something I really want to do. Our oldest daughter wants us to move up there within about six years. She and her husband, as well as her son Buddy live with us. She is an RN, and wants to become a Certified Nurse Anesthetist (sp). She figures her dad and I could officially retire and we could all live very comfortably on her salary.

It is probably one of the few places you can visit, sightsee for a week and not get out of your car. But, the fall colors are no less than breathtaking and of course snow-draped trees in winter is not a sight we see in the South. Most of the time there is at least four inches of snow on the ground in the higher elevations during the winter. As far as snow skiing in the winter, our favorite is Winterplace Ski Resort in Ghendt, West Virginia. It is a well kept secret among the residents of that area and is an awesome ski resort. It is small by most standards, but very personable. The average snow fall for Ghendt is much greater than in the Smokies. Ober Gatlinburg, the ski resort in Gatlinburg is extremely over rated and down right dangerous for skiing.

Another thought, look up Canaan Valley, we visited Canaan on one of our two day "family excursions" from the National Park area. It is a beautiful area. Deer roam freely in herds, literally in herds. So much so, that you have to watch for "deer poop" on the sidewalks. One other thought, visit the Great Smoky Mountain National Park Sunday through Thursday and take a few driving excursions, like to Ashville on Friday and Saturday. Also, Washington, D.C. is not very far from Canaan if I remember correctly. Have you ever been to D.C.?

There are ways to avoid the crowds during the summer if you schedule what you want to see while taking into consideration the crowds. I would go even in summer if I had never been before, but like I said my favorite is fall (mid October is peak fall foliage) and winter (because we never see snow). I do want to go in Spring, but it looks like our cruise will take priority over a spring visit for 2008. However, we may try to squeeze in a fall or winter trip this year...just don't tell dtel...he says he knows every mountain peak in the Smokies...we have been so often.[:#]

• Moderators

I am going to try to go on the cruise with my wife.

We go to the Smoky's regulary too. With small kids, summer is the only time we get to go and spend the amount of time we like. What works well for us is to go one of the last weeks in August. Schools there start in mid August, so it is less busy.

In summer, We usually hike in the higher elevations, drive in the valleys.

I still have a hard time calling the bears in the smokys "bears". They are so skinny and small. Nothing like the bears we have here in Wisconsin.

JM

We don't have bears down here so to us they are "bears". It's real hard to see a lot of sights in the Smokies, even with a week to spend. I would think it is a very popular destination for lots of folks.

We will be officially "booking" the cruise in about a week, but anyone can join in and sign up at any time, as long as there is availability on the boat. If any of you decide you want to go post a note here and I will send you the rest of the info, along with the travel agent's name and telephone number. The initial deposit is very nominal and Carnival will set up payment schedules once we book.

Christy,

Cathy and I cruised the Carribean 20+ years ago, and yes, Grand Cayman has some excellent snorkelling. More recently, we took the kids to Oahu, and Hanauma Bay. What a treat!!

hanaumasplashs.jpg

Hey Travis, if you're looking for a Summer get-away, how about Yosemite?

yosemite-view-small.jpg

• Moderators

Fini,

You are one lucky man!!!

Twenty years huh? Sounds like it might be a good time for ya'll to go again. Snorkeling in Cozumel was awesome, so I am really excited about Grand Cayman. Never thought I would hear myself say that. I almost freaked the first time I stuck my head under the water in Cozumel. I was hyperventillating (sp) and everything.

Believe it or not I am really not fond of water sports, but snorkeling was like viewing another world. Heck, it was viewing another world.

• Moderators

I went to the Smokies twice..... first time it was spring break (early April) and it was absolutely beautiful. The weather was perfect, and everything was so "fresh"....and it wasn't very crowded. We took a trip into Asheville (Biltmore Estate)...just gorgeous. So I couldn't wait to go back...

Next trip was late July. Completely different trip. The traffic and the crowds were unbelievable. It was so hot and humid... the area had been in a drought for weeks when we arrived, and the very next day it started raining...and raining...and raining...and it was a HOT nasty rain... and it didn't let up one bit. We ended up packing up the campsite and staying in a hotel for two nights, then leaving early.

It's all about timing.

Travis,

Weather in the Smokies in the summer SUCKS. It is hot and extremely HUMID. Far more humid than down here. If you have not already planned a summer trip I would suggest that you do not. Evenings are a little cooler in the summer, but still VERY HUMID.

My favorite places in the Smokies.... Cades Cove, Cataloochee, Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail, a trip from Gatlinburg (Sugarlands Visitors Center) to Oconoluftee Visitors Center (which is just outside Cherokee). Maggie Valley is very nice.

Cataloochee is a lot less traveled than most other places in the Smokies, It takes a full day to really enjoy the trip to Cataloochee, as well as Cades Cove and Sugarlands to Oconoluftee. Once you arrive at the entrance to Cataloochee Valley it is all one/two land dirt roads that wind through the mountains. After twenty five years of touring the Smokies we just discovered this jewel this year.

I am especially fond of fall and winter in the Smokies. There is almost always snow in the higher elevations in the winter and fall is breathtaking in the Smokies. The colors of fall are so brilliant, it is priceless.

Have you already scheduled a trip to the Smokies for summer? I have never been in spring, but I hear it's beautiful.

So are you guys up for a cruise in April 2008???? I hear snorkeling in Grand Cayman is even more beautiful than Cozumel????

If you are seriously going to the Smokies this summer I will put on my thinking cap, round up some of the info I have around here and send it to you, but I strongly advise against going in the summer. Also, the park is extremely crowded during the summer. Going anywhere in the Smokies in summer is like a major traffic jam in New York City. It really spoils the trip. We went ONE time in the summer and we swore we would never go back in summer.

We go at least once a year to the Smokies, if not twice and I will NEVER go in SUMMER again. But if it is the only chance you have to go, do it.

When you live in the area, it doesn't suck. And it doesn't seem too humid either. Give me a break - are you saying that Mississippi or Louisiana isn't humid in the summer? [bs] [;)]

Bruce

Travis,

Weather in the Smokies in the summer SUCKS. It is hot and extremely HUMID. Far more humid than down here. If you have not already planned a summer trip I would suggest that you do not. Evenings are a little cooler in the summer, but still VERY HUMID.

When you live in the area, it doesn't suck. And it doesn't seem too humid either. Give me a break - are you saying that Mississippi or Louisiana isn't humid in the summer? [bs] [;)]

Bruce

Yea, I've got to second Marvel here. Never been, that I know of, to where you live Christy but I have been to Northern Mississippi many times and damn it was hot.

I went to college around Maggie Valley, and while it CAN be hot, there is plenty to cool you off. One of my favs is the tubing or rafting in one of the many rivers. Kind of leeps a balance.

Travis, Asheville is a great "base camp" if you will. You could "excersion" from there. Asheville is very eclectic, which is one reason I love it so much. We go often. It doesn't hurt that my sister owns a horse farm there either!

All the places Christy mention are fabulious!

I just don't notice the heat as much myself, as where I live now is MUCH hotter and MUCH more hummid[6]

Of course I will say this as well, the Spring and Fall are better though in my opinion!