Help to bring my Heresy alive

jamesV

I purchased a pair of Heresy a few months back and have they hooked up to my, almost ten year old, Sony. I have been thinking about upgrading it but want some advise as to what will make them sing. I have them in the bedroom so I don't want to spend too much money, no tubes but maybe later down the road. I was either thinking about a receiver or separates, used is fine also. Last I want to stay around $500 for either direction.

Thanks in advance,

James

Hey James,

I liked the sound of my Nakamichi (TA-2 and SR-2 (STASIS receivers) with Heresys...of course the older (to stay in the price range) McIntosh sounds nice with Heresys (I tried a MAC 1900 Receiver and a MA6200 Integrated amp) as well as my older Yamaha (CA-610 II) Integrated...from the "Natural Sound" days (1978)...many of those will keep you in the ball park pricewise and should be a nice compliment to your Heresys...how 'bout the Outlaw Audio 2 channel Receiver RR5500 or whatever...I haven't heard one but see them from time to time on Audiogon around $500

Good luck and keep us posted!

Bill

I always used a Harmon Kardon 730 receiver on 2 sets of Heresys..thought it sounded great!

I've played mine with an HK 430 and it sounded so musical that for at least a few minutes (if not a little longer), I wondered if my Khorns and all the other equipment I have were worth all the trouble. OK, they're not quite Khorns, but they did sound exceptional and just made music! And isn't that the real reason we do this?! I could be quite happy with that combination for a lot of my music listening. In fact, maybe I'll go pull those babies out of the closet!

I second the recommendation about the Nakamichi STASIS. I picked one up for $10 the other day - missing two buttons on the tuner). It is a champ. You might consider spending sometime on fine tuning the speaker placement. They do best when they get some "room reinforcement" from being in the corner or on the floor. That will have a much bigger impact.

Good Luck,

-Tom

I always used a Harmon Kardon 730 receiver on 2 sets of Heresys..thought it sounded great!

I've played mine with an HK 430 and it sounded so musical that for at least a few minutes (if not a little longer), I wondered if my Khorns and all the other equipment I have were worth all the trouble. OK, they're not quite Khorns, but they did sound exceptional and just made music! And isn't that the real reason we do this?! I could be quite happy with that combination for a lot of my music listening. In fact, maybe I'll go pull those babies out of the closet!

I have one of the lower HK line (don't remember the # at the moment) and the Yamaha NS 600, let me say that the Yamaha blows away the HK. Just my $.02 for what it is worth. The Yamaha can be had for under $100 on Ebay, if I remember right.

If you really want to make them sing, buy a Scott 299............Yeah, I know you said no tubes, but trust me, they love tubes...You will keep searching for SS to make them sing, that would mean you need big power.............to even stay with the Scott.......Just another thought for you to think about...any intergrated amp should do the trick, doesn't have to be a Scott...................

James,

You have gotten some very good advice on alternate receivers to use with Heresy. I am quite fond of the HK's myself.

One thought, on the age of your speakers is that they are at least 22 years old as Klipsch last built Heresy in 1985. It is pretty likely that the crossover caps have drifted off spec and are negatively effecting the sound. The change is so gradual as one would not notice it while it is happening, but the change is dramatic and it is the closest thing available to restore to factory spec. I have been surprised how much this inexpensive solution has improved the sound in my vintage Heresy speakers.

Bob Crites sells the type E crossover kits on Ebay for $35 if you are a diy type. He will also do the work in his shop for those who prefer that. If you are interested to take a look, check out Ebay item 110119433473. I don't have any financial interest in this, just pleased with results.

Thanks for the input D.D.

Yes, I have '81 Heresy. I was thinking about switching the crossovers but I want to hear how they sound so I have a good starting point to reference. I think I will be doing that in the next few months. I have indeed seen Bob's listings on Ebay so when the time comes I will go that route.

James

Yes, I have '81 Heresy. I was thinking about switching the crossovers but I want to hear how they sound so I have a good starting point to reference. I think I will be doing that in the next few months. I have indeed seen Bob's listings on Ebay so when the time comes I will go that route.

James

Yopu don't need to switch teh crossoner, just replace the 2 uF caps with new ones. It is really eazy to do. When I rebuilt mine I dropped the taps on cthe mids and tweets to give them -3 db each. This helped to balance the speakers. It cost 50 cents. I attached a schematic.

post-10861-13819330596426_thumb.jpg

James

Yopu don't need to switch teh crossoner, just replace the 2 uF caps with new ones. It is really eazy to do. When I rebuilt mine I dropped the taps on cthe mids and tweets to give them -3 db each. This helped to balance the speakers. It cost 50 cents. I attached a schematic.

Is there a similar tweak for the E-2 Crossover? Replacing the caps is on my list (they are due) but I am wondering about the tap change. When I was driving them with a mid-fi SS amp I had some complaints of them sounding bright, but hardly at all now that I am driving them with tubes.

Rick