Does anyone own a DBX 200? Have trouble with mine

• Moderators

I am having trouble getting tape output through by DBX 200 route selector and was wondering if anyone else owned one out there that I could pick their brain. I have no trouble playing the source with the line/tape button set to line, but cannot get any of the tape decks to output through monitor.

Thanks in advance,

Travis

I've got a 400. Don't know if it'll help or not. Mine is also not hooked up. Charles might be the man to ask (FrzinVmt)

1. Did it work fine then just stop working?

2. Have you recently rewired something?

3. It plays fine from tape out to preamp in but not from preamp out to tape in?

My speculation is you might just have a wire in wrong spot OR perhaps a button pushed or NOT pushed that is supposed to be the other way.

I am having trouble getting tape output through by DBX 200 route selector and was wondering if anyone else owned one out there that I could pick their brain. I have no trouble playing the source with the line/tape button set to line, but cannot get any of the tape decks to output through monitor.

Thanks in advance,

Travis

Man, I practically gave away a 400XG several months ago.

In anyevent, Frzninvt (Charles or CB) is the DBX guru around here. Contact him, and I'm sure he'll provide you with a lead or two, or three or four....... [;)]

Well I tried twice to upload a .pdf copy of the user manual for the 200X but was unsuccessful. Email me directly and I will send it to you.

Firstly, the unit should have four "U" type pins to jumper across the Noise Reduction circuit. If they are not in place none of the tape loops (1-3) will output signal. If you don't have the "U" jumpers or a Noise Reduction unit in that spot you will need to use two RCA jacks to jump across the noise reduction loop.

In addition, the 200X does not have the full dubbing capability the the 400, 400X, or 400XG have it is limited. The user manual will explain, you can use a Program Route Selector for just about anything. They are great because they use a single tape loop and provide provisions for 3 processors, a noise reduction unit, and three sources of your choosing or you can daisy chain them to run six sources.

Hope this helps.

• Moderators

Well I tried twice to upload a .pdf copy of the user manual for the 200X but was unsuccessful. Email me directly and I will send it to you.

Firstly, the unit should have four "U" type pins to jumper across the Noise Reduction circuit. If they are not in place none of the tape loops (1-3) will output signal. If you don't have the "U" jumpers or a Noise Reduction unit in that spot you will need to use two RCA jacks to jump across the noise reduction loop.

In addition, the 200X does not have the full dubbing capability the the 400, 400X, or 400XG have it is limited. The user manual will explain, you can use a Program Route Selector for just about anything. They are great because they use a single tape loop and provide provisions for 3 processors, a noise reduction unit, and three sources of your choosing or you can daisy chain them to run six sources.

Hope this helps.

Charles,

Did you get my email?

Travis

Yes I did, I sent you .pdf copies of the DBX 200x and 224x user manuals. I take it you did not get them. Is your email limited file size wise? It was about a 10mb email with both attachments. I will send them one at a time tonight if you did not get them. I also provided some additional information. I will copy the text and resend it.

• 3 years later...

Frzn...

Interesting about the jumpers. As an audio engineer in a previous incarnation, I was totally frustrated when I got my DBX400 router and couldn't make hide nor tail of the top diagram. Just didn't seem to work. I eventually put my 4BX in one of the processor loops and fiddled until I got my TT, cassette, and R2R to work. However, your mention of the jumpers across the noise reduction inputs caused a light to go on. So, I placed the 4BX in that slot as I had no jumpers in it. Now I feel even dumber. The signal shows as passing through the 4BX and I see processing taking place, but I am hearing only the unprocessed signal and not the processed signal no matter what positions the 4BX switches are in or even if it's off. No question I am going through the preamp tape monitor loop as the signal goes off if I switch to the other loop and it toggles as I toggle input/tape.

Dang strange. This sort of thing should be very simple indeed and I've dealt with far more complex routing issues in the past, but this one has me stumped.

I took some pix of the IO routing as I am sure the above description isn't clear enough but don't have them with me. Will post later or tomorrow.

Dave

but with my 400x I do not have to use anything plugged into the decoder spots for it to work.

Nor do I. But it doesn't work logically. I suppose that "work" is good. Work logically is better, though, at least for my purposes. Really bothers me when things work but the logic doesn't make good sense. I'd reallly like to have this thing working as intended.

Dave

Well, I figured it out after locating and downloading a manual. My error, which is shown in the pix but nobody caught it, was that I had my 4BX in the noise reduction loop. Rational to me, as I prize the noise reduction on LP's it provides even more than the dynamic range correction. However, DBX limits the use of that term to the NX-40 and related fixed 2:1 noise reduction system and the way that particular circuit is routed prevents the processed 4BX from being heard...only the unprocessed signal. Haven't sat down and figured out why this is so but I suppose it's irrelevant.

So, I put my NX-40 in that slot on passthrought and put the 4BX on the processor 1 loop. Works logically now.

I am going to stick an equalizer and a bass booster in the other loops just for grins. Since they can easilly be bypassed it does no harm.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Only the DBX 200 needs the jumper pins in place, the 400 does not require them to operate.

The Noise Reduction loop is tricky to connect since it requires 4 pairs of RCA cables.

The processors also need to be connected in proper sequence for them to operate correctly.

An Equalizer should be in the third processor loop, an expander in the second, and a subharmonic synthesizer or single ended noise reduction unit in the first.