Walmart claims HD DVD has won

CopperPot

I haven't posted in a long time but I read the forums just about daily. I was out of town for quite a while and then had trouble getting back into my account. To make a long story short everything is going well and I have the Klipsch fever.

I've been holding off on purchasing an HD format until a winner has been declared. The war is far from over but Wal-mart will have a good say in who wins.

http://news.digitaltrends.com/talkback184.html

Just another reason to hate Walmart.

There usual tactic is to mandate requirments to manufactures if they want to keep selling there product in there stores. Hapens over and over again.

I know of two decent size manufacturing companies in Wisconsin they have done this too and they have put them out of business. In both cases Wall-fart started selling there products and demanded they get first dibs off of there lines or they would pull there orders. Once they had them hooked and they lost some of their other revenue outlets, Wall-fart demanded that they drop the price to meet the price of the crap they were importing from China which was not even close the same quality. One of these companies was in a small town, pretty much wiped the town off the map.

Price is not everything.

It has been years since I steped foot in a Wall-fart. I will drive out of my way to avoid that crap store.

JM

Just another reason to hate Walmart.

There usual tactic is to mandate requirments to manufactures if they want to keep selling there product in there stores. Hapens over and over again.

I know of two decent size manufacturing companies in Wisconsin they have done this too and they have put them out of business. In both cases Wall-fart started selling there products and demanded they get first dibs off of there lines or they would pull there orders. Once they had them hooked and they lost some of their other revenue outlets, Wall-fart demanded that they drop the price to meet the price of the crap they were importing from China which was not even close the same quality. One of these companies was in a small town, pretty much wiped the town off the map.

Price is not everything.

It has been years since I steped foot in a Wall-fart. I will drive out of my way to avoid that crap store.

JM

What JM said.

Guess who is one of the primary distributors of raw and FPchicken, and the person who routes a large proportion of their loads?

O the stories I could tell you.............but silence is golden on open forums![:#]

Just compare product spec's! We have (2) different broiler plants dedicated to JUST WALMART and SAM's. They are just as bad as Sysco IMHO.

But he, who dictates the volume, also has the upper hand in many situations

I haven't posted in a long time but I read the forums just about daily. I was out of town for quite a while and then had trouble getting back into my account. To make a long story short everything is going well and I have the Klipsch fever.

I've been holding off on purchasing an HD format until a winner has been declared. The war is far from over but Wal-mart will have a good say in who wins.

This is curious. Only 10 days ago, I read an AP "Technology headline" claiming that Blu-Ray had won, based on the number of available titles and number of discs shipped (twice as many as HD DVD)! Also, in this month's Sound & Vision, Ken Pohlman discusses how neither side is backing down, and how player manufacturers are likely to begin making universal players, and some studios may release movies with BR on one side of the disc and HDDVD on the other side. Go figure.

10-4 that! Heck, I worked w/Jim and his children back in the 90's before Frank passed the torch. I would NEVER incriminate myself w/PERDUE, but Walmart is a VERY DEMANDING ACCOUNT, along w/BJ's.

I still remember Frank asking, "I know you, and where do you work?" LMAO......I had the utmost respect for that self-made millionaire, and there are stories that I could also share regarding FPP (Franklin Parsons Perdue). I assume you mean Steve Evans? If so, I remember him as a cornish supply manager back in the day (more stories, more stories......lol).

Maybe someday, someplace! We just picked up (2) more DC's for Walmart this week......Garrett, IN and Tomah, WI, and last week was Pottsville, PA. It never ends, and constantly changes.

PS. I ain't worried, since I know many of Management VP's, Presidents, and Jim will be on their 1/4ly state-of-the-business trips. In fact, Jim will be travelling alot for the next month or so. Yes, I run into him from time to time! Except for a 4 year break, I've been w/PERDUE since 1986, so I've run across alot of people in that time frame.

I suspect that Wal-mart wants HD DVD to win because cheap Chinese players will flood the market and hence HD DVD will predominate. Why carry two different formats? DVDs are big business at Wally-world. Hence what is best for Wally will have to do for the public.

I hate going into their stores. I also dislike their business practices.

Keep your own council. I believe that no clear winner will be apparent in the near term. If either format dies, it will take a long time.

Bill

That's funny, I didn't know you worked for Purdue. I did an internship there about two years ago this summer. I was a corporate guy but my project required me to work and do a lot of testing at the Milford plant. I still remember my first day there being told this huge plant only produced for Wal-Mart and there were a few others. I had to map out our distribution paths from all DCs and plants to Wal-Mart. I don't remember a day where I've been more frustrated or had a bigger headache.

Anyway, not to threadjack, but did the whole RFID thing ever pan out or did they get out of it? That was my primary project and I'm just curious if that system ever went live at any facilities.

Oh and one more note about this whole topic, normally I hate when Wal-Mart pulls this stuff, and I'm still not a huge fan, but since I've invested in HD DVD, I can't say I can hate this too much. [:$]

At present the HD-DVD Wal-mart story is a rumor. Story first broke on the AVS forum and morphed into sometihng bigger when Engadget got hold of it. From there fanboys from all sides went to verbal wars on forums worldwide. Wal-mart claims that they have no intentions to release the player, but haven't ruled it out "yet". The rumored price point is 299, which isn't much cheaper than the $310 Toshiba. There are cheaper standalone HD-DVD units that have been announced since CES. However, like most, I'm still infuriated that Wal-mart does have this kind of pull to dictate standards for the rest of the market. The only problem though is that at Wal-mart, among their target shoppers, whose going to care about going HD when they barely have the resources to sell you an complete HT package. Kinda defeats the purpose of going HD.

ROFLMAO!

Such an elitist position! Yup, all of 'them common folk idjets' who shop there just aren't as smart as some of the erudite geniuses who collectively have offered nothing more compelling, despite SO many complaining for SO long about WalMart!!

If HD-DVDs winning is indeed the case, before you give all of the credit to WalMart, may I suggest that you save some of the credit for Sony. Few companies have repeatedly handled any new technology rollout as poorly as they have - over and over again! Can we say "Beta"!?

[:P]

I would NEVER incriminate myself w/PERDUE, but Walmart is a VERY DEMANDING ACCOUNT, along w/BJ's.

Strong-arm business practices are one thing, but demanding BJs? That's just sick!

Last time I checked Newegg they had 229 HD-DVD discs and 259 Bluray discs in stock and both Toshiba and Sony introducing newer cheaper players. The HD-DVD people may have an edge as Ulead and Nero can combine to burn HD-DVD to DVD+R DL standard discs with the Toshiba players able to play them back in full HD glory.

JJK

Bluray should win, it's the better format (IMHO). As for Wal-Mart, I hope those of you with kids are having them learn Mandarin. We (the US) now ship raw materials to China, and import finished goods from them. That's the definition of a colony. [:'(]

Bluray should win, it's the better format (IMHO). As for Wal-Mart, I hope those of you with kids are having them learn Mandarin. We (the US) now ship raw materials to China, and import finished goods from them. That's the definition of a colony. [:'(]

Yup, and just look at the UK now!

I am fascinated to watch the seemingly endless string of posts telling us how the world "Should Be!".

Reality is wrong, but your vivid fantasies of wishful thinking and fantastic expectations are correct.

But then I guess that this is the fundamental basis of the two primary political distinctions in the world as well. There are those who lend primacy to the world as it is as being the basis for reality. And in light of this, they do what they can to mitigate situations that might run counter to their desires and attempt to work with the systems to move ahead.

And then there are those whose fantasies take precedence over the concept that the world as we know it is real. And they, giving primacy to their fantastic desires, proceed to dream of ways to correct reality and to remake it in their image by telling everyone else how they should act and how nature should be 'nicer' and how all of the 'incorrect' systems should work. Its amazing how reality can have it so wrong that just about everything needs to be corrected and the only way to effectively do that is to force everyone else to act in a 'proper' manner. When are they going to get it? Indeed!

The irony is that there have been few totalitarian or repressive regimes that were not initiated as just such reform movements to establish exactly such a 'better' world. Just as Nazism and Communism were instigated as reform movements.

I worry much less about the world as it is, where no external forces need be employed to maintain the status quo, regardless of how heinous someone may feel it to be, than all of the 'correct' notions that require all sort of coercive measures to implement.

You may think the world and all of the other people, the idjets, in it wrong, but I would maintain that your wishful thinking and fantasies, while perhaps well intended, in fact pose a much larger and more dangerous problem.

BTW, WalMart did not make any such claims. Others have attributed the marketing power of WalMart to have such a capability. So perhaps we might want to start out by factually presenting the facts instead of creating a fictitious ruse posing as fact!