NOS VRDs vs. pCATS

Guest " "
"IMO you have a perfect set up fore bi-amping here.  pCATs on the tops 25 WPC,  and the VRD's on the bottom in linerar mode at 60 WPC."

I wonder if anyone has done this.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When did you become the diplomat? Well said.

Yea, what the heck? And he sent me an email today that I'd deem as.... rather pleasant. What's going on around here? [:S]

pretty simple you have left me alone for a few days [;)]

"IMO you have a perfect set up fore bi-amping here. pCATs on the tops 25 WPC, and the VRD's on the bottom in linerar mode at 60 WPC."

I think the more interesting question for J.4knee would be if he had to settle on one set of amps with all variables like cost, size , appearance, overall sound and versatility considered which would he choose....

at this point all the head to head comparison's have been done with a fairly limited musical type. I myself would not be able to determine much with just mild jazz, female singers and acoustics track that I was able to track down that these folks listened too.

Craig

I'm sure they tried both ways. They may have focused more on triode when comparing to the pCATS since that's how they are run. That might explain the comment about the bass, which is anything but "boomy" in ultralinear -- it's a little more rounded in triode mode. With most of my music, I thought they sounded better in triode. It was nice to have a choice, some things did sound better in ultralinear.

"IMO you have a perfect set up fore bi-amping here. pCATs on the tops 25 WPC, and the VRD's on the bottom in linerar mode at 60 WPC."

I think the more interesting question for J.4knee would be if he had to settle on one set of amps with all variables like cost, size , appearance, overall sound and versatility considered which would he choose....

at this point all the head to head comparison's have been done with a fairly limited musical type. I myself would not be able to determine much with just mild jazz, female singers and acoustics track that I was able to track down that these folks listened too.

Craig

Craig

I dont think that your characterization of the tracks we listened to is not entirely correct. No we didn't listen to any heavy metal or what one might call hard rock. Dire Straits was the hardest rock we listened to. We also didnt listen to any "mild Jazz" The Ray Brown LP is anything but mild. It was chosen so we could compare a well made recording with heavy dynamic natural bass. In fact the LP contains a warning that says "Dynamic recording of bass may cause difficulties at low tracking forces"

a link to information on the LP and the recording and mastering process used is here

http://www.tnt-audio.com/topics/raybrownsoularenergy_e.html

The VRDs (in triode) obviously handled this with aplomb - as did the pCATS.

Josh

Josh,

I guess its a difference in musical preference or opinion. But honestly I just listened to samples of that entire album and track 5 is the only track I would say is upbeat and has some toe tapping tempo. I mean to me that music is very laid back and on the lazy side of Jazz. Maybe its just me. Heck the Dire Straits track used for testing was about the most laid back DS track that could of been used nice song but hardly taxing on a system. I just say its beneficial to get some versatility in these listening sessions if folks are going to get a broad picture of the system they are listening too. Not everyone is into Jazz. I keep seeing people bring up heavy metal and hard rock in reference to these session I rarely listen to either.. I listen to just about every gender of music on the planet and built the VRD's to do them all to my taste with authority, dynamics and ease.

All the tracks can be heard here if anyone is interested track one was the one being used. I think its nice music and may pick up the recording but I would not call it overly dynamic. Yes it digs deep, but the stand up bass has never IMHO been a quick dynamic instrument.

http://www.amazon.com/Soular-Energy-Ray-Brown-Trio/dp/B0000006FC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-3379611-0908617?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1178140766&sr=8-1

Josh,

I guess its a difference in musical preference or opinion. But honestly I just listened to samples of that entire album and track 5 is the only track I would say is upbeat and has some toe tapping tempo. I mean to me that music is very laid back and on the lazy side of Jazz. Maybe its just me. Heck the Dire Straits track used for testing was about the most laid back DS track that could of been used nice song but hardly taxing on a system. I just say its beneficial to get some versatility in these listening sessions if folks are going to get a broad picture of the system they are listening too. Not everyone is into Jazz. I keep seeing people bring up heavy metal and hard rock in reference to these session I rarely listen to either.. I listen to just about every gender of music on the planet and built the VRD's to do them all to my taste with authority, dynamics and ease.

All the tracks can be heard here if anyone is interested track one was the one being used. I think its nice music and may pick up the recording but I would not call it overly dynamic. Yes it digs deep, but the stand up bass has never IMHO been a quick dynamic instrument.

http://www.amazon.com/Soular-Energy-Ray-Brown-Trio/dp/B0000006FC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-3379611-0908617?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1178140766&sr=8-1

Hey Craig

Point taken.

But in listening to the cuts off amazon they do not do justice at all to the bass that is exhibited on the recording. I could hardly hear it. Off the LP the bass is the most apparent instrument - one of the rare recordings where you can feel the string bass in your gut. At high dbs it rattled the windows! You would do well to pick up the lp and use it as a demo record because the VRDs shined on it.

josh

Josh,

Hey Craig

Point taken.

But in listening to the cuts off amazon they do not do justice at all to the bass that is exhibited on the recording. I could hardly hear it. Off the LP the bass is the most apparent instrument - one of the rare recordings where you can feel the string bass in your gut. At high dbs it rattled the windows! You would do well to pick up the lp and use it as a demo record because the VRDs shined on it.

josh

Josh,

Sounds cool! Where can I pickup the LP new?

Josh,

Hey Craig

Point taken.

josh

Josh,

Sounds cool! Where can I pickup the LP new?

Its not cheap!

http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=13078&sct=music

josh

BTW how do you insert links that link?

"String bass in my gut" now that sounds good to me, maybe someday I'll hear the VRD's with my Rf-7's.

......carry on.

Speedball,

You honestly need to hear just how well VRD's do with RF-7's. I've heard the combo before and I had to nearly cut my fingers off to keep from buying a set of the Cherry RF-7's Klipsch was/is selling for $999 a pair. I have my yearly vacation just around the corner and just can not swing $1150 w/shipping expense this time of year Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Craig

Are you guys referring to the reissue of Ray Brown's Solar Energy with Gene Harris? If so, I have a red vinyl copy I can loan you Craig. The bass really can be felt in the gut and can make ANY system sound good! BTW - I listened to the original version at Allan's and it wasn't close. They really jacked up the bass on the reissue. I love it! TOO much bass on Cornwalls. Sounds great on the Khorns though.

"I think the more interesting question for J.4knee would be if he had to settle on one set of amps with all variables like cost, size , appearance, overall sound and versatility considered which would he choose...."

Actually that is a very good question. My auditions were in different systems and different rooms both used BBX pre though and one was demo'ed on Heritage the other of Ref. Given that datum to start from it would be a tough choice to make for sure. I adored the clarity the pCAT offered for sure but I also really liked the VRD in Ultra linear mode and the VRD in triode is also very clean sounding as well. I like the extra head room the VRD offers with UL mode. I know the pCAT's have, for lack of a better phrase, "overbuilt" power supplies so they can go to their max pretty easily and that can make them sound a bit more powerful. Yeah this would be a tough choice. One that I unfortunately do not have to make anytime soon[:'(] But I think for me I'd have to look in terms of versatile application and I'd might give a very slight edge to the VRD, but Id really love to hear a system bi-amped as I listed in my original post on a set of Jubs or maybe a set of K69/K510s and LS bottoms.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Are you guys referring to the reissue of Ray Brown's Solar Energy with Gene Harris? If so, I have a red vinyl copy I can loan you Craig. The bass really can be felt in the gut and can make ANY system sound good! BTW - I listened to the original version at Allan's and it wasn't close. They really jacked up the bass on the reissue. I love it! TOO much bass on Cornwalls. Sounds great on the Khorns though.

Thats the one!

josh