Klipschorn restoration webpage

It's been a while, so I thought I'd put this up here again.

www.dcchomes.com/Mkhorn.html Go directly to page 2 to skip to the restoration www.dcchomes.com/Mkhorn2.html

This pair of Khorns is going to Moscow, Russia! The new owner has asked me to install Trachorns, Beyma CP25's, and complete ALK ES networks.

The best part? I get to test them out before they're shipped!

Greg

Having seen some of his work (I saw the Rosewood Khorns in person that Chris Robinson bought) and the passion he seems to put into his work, I'll admit I've contemplated trying to get the Jubes to him. My thinking is, I COULD find a local woodworker guy but he might only be in it for the cash, Greg seems to be passionate about it and I like that.

It's a pain that he lives so far as the only way I think I'd feel comfortable about doing it is hand delivery.

Thanks for posting all that... great work as usual.... and a wealth of

information and tips (i liked the tapping down of the veneer) in there

for anyone wanting to restore their Khorns. Now that it's

done...is "heat lock" from "better bond" your glue of choice?

greg928gts

I read your comments on your site. Glad to hear your happy with the K-33-P's (I think thats what they are). They actually originally came out of some Khorns.

The K-33-V's have been repaired. Side by side, you won't be able to tell them apart.

Thank you everyone for the kind words.

I am passionate about my work. It's hard not to be when I get to work on Klipsch speakers in a great shop, listening to music, and make money doing it!

The filler is Minwax High-Performance Wood Filler. It mixes like Bondo, it looks like Bondo, it smells like Bondo, and it acts just like Bondo. I think it might be Bondo. It works great.

I don't think I'll ever go back to raw wood veneer. The paper backed veneer from Oakwood Veneer www.oakwoodveneer.com is really great stuff.

Of all the glues I've used, I still like contact cement the best, but it is not recommended for paper backed veneers. The Heatlock glue from www.joewoodworker.com worked great on this last project. No bubbles at all. I did have to go over it a few times with the iron to make sure I had all of it glued down properly. The combination of paper backed veneer and this glue is how I'll be doing future projects. Make sure you get the right glue, there are several that are similar. I don't like their website, but they're the only place to get that glue. The next time I use this glue, I'll use a foam roller. I found that any inconsistency with the glue application will "ghost" through the finished veneer. The glue has to be very evenly applied.

I'd love to veneer a pair of Jubs. Maybe I could veneer the top horns too?

Greg