1000 pound hog

Jay481985

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But anyways flannj you said bigger game??? I don't quite think deer weigh 1000 pounds? or even bear?, moose maybe

Grizzly bears get to 1500 lbs. That is 1500 lbs of shear muscle.

Necks as big around as bushel baskets that can push over mature trees

at will.

The ultimate hunt is Polar bears. They can get to be

1200 lbs. They are the highest risk as they WILL be hunting you back.

Once they get your scent you will be on their menu. My uncle has hunted

both via Archery.

Moose / Elk are big, but too easy to hunt.

Hunting with hand guns, especially

large bore, is not uncommon. It is a lot easier to navigate woods /

swamps with a hand gun than a riffle.

That kid looks like he is

big enough to handle that gun. Remember, a 50 cal handgun is not an M2

Carbine. The kick is not that bad and very manageable by the loading.

JM

3:00 am.........Last call...............They all look beautiful.......................EH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot NY is 3am.... NJ is 2am

Come On Jay, you chased some down too, when you went to R.P.I............................Right, Dude !!!!!!!!! Seems like you have had a good year at Rutgers...................You done yet, or more to go ?

Yessiree.... Wild hogs are sometimes a pest; they eat everything they can find, kick the dogs' butts, and generally tear up my pasture fences with their "rooting" (that's what pigs do) Normally I leave them alone... but once a year.... Normally in Okeechobee (rural!!!) County, we'll hunt them in the fall right after hurricane season. We'll take boar hogs, but their meat's "gamey", but as Daddy Dee said, that's alot of sausage... If we take a sow, we'll try to find the shoats (piglets) and they are very good, better than supermarket ribs, IMHO.... They are NOT native and you want to have no more than about 1-2 boars and 2-3 sows per 10 acres, otherwise they'll tear up your fences, etc. On hunting them, believe me, they are extremely dangerous. Boars are mean just for the hell of it; Sows are mean because they are protecting their piglets... They can move at 25 MPH and a 400 pound sow (about average for a 4 year old) will tear you up.... Average weight for boars in Okeeville is about 275 pounds, and sows are about 250 or so. Last year we had to get rid of a boar that kept just removing the fence posts and it weighed about 560 pounds. Useful meat? about 65% or so. A well dressed out hog will feed 15-20 "young-un's" with plenty left over.

Now that being said, letting a nine year old run around with a .50 caliber Desert Eagle chasing "Godzilla..." is not a good idea. That borders on stupidity and one questions the sanity of the parents.... If I'm going to hunt hogs, my son is NOT going with me until he's 13-14 years old and has some common sense.... Best hog gun is a .243 or .270; I use a .308 (7.62x51mm) and don't fool around. 500 pounds at 25 miles per hour = Sherman Tank with a severe personality attitude disorder. Advice: Don't mess around with wild hogs unless you are well armed and know what you are doing!!! [:|]

i was disturbed a father let his son use a gun especially such a big revolver at age 11...

oh btw at age 15 he will be hunting the most dangerous game of all, humans [;)] jk

Good point! I was going to add, this is not an Inuit child learning to shoot a caribou or a seal to provide food and clothing for his family. And whether the animal is beautiful or ugly, an attraction or a pest, is irrelevant.

In some warped way I can see the scenario sorta like when you were little and your dad caught a fish and he let you reel it in but the fact that he gives a revolver while his dad and someone else waits there with rifles is not the greatest idea imo

I can see animals like that hog being a problem and the possible necessity of killing it. An adult has the emotional maturity to realize what taking a life entails. Things are a lot less clear for children.

For an 11-year-old to fly an airplane or climb a mountain is an achievement that could be rewarding and fulfilling and be of benefit. Sport hunting is a whole different thing and should be reserved for adults, IMHO.

If you are not going to dress it, clean it and it, don't kill it.

If it's a "pest", fine, great!; have at it; but if it's edible, and you don't want it, then at least have the ethics to get with someone who will dress it and use the meat. Otherwise, that's not an "right" thing to do.

IMHO, etc. Hunting and preparing game for eating is one thing; trophy hunting, or just "killin" for sport is not exactly what our forefathers intended. No offense to Teddy Roosevelt and the others, but big "game" hunting really serves no useful purpose. Wanna test one's manliness? Go hog hunting with a knife, a pole (to stick the knife on to make a spear) and your wits... You will find out real fast just how "manly" you are when that sow chases you up a palmetto tree.....

I can see animals like that hog being a problem and the possible necessity of killing it. An adult has the emotional maturity to realize what taking a life entails. Things are a lot less clear for children.

For an 11-year-old to fly an airplane or climb a mountain is an achievement that could be rewarding and fulfilling and be of benefit. Sport hunting is a whole different thing and should be reserved for adults, IMHO.

I hated killing fish after I caught them when I was little, I still dislike it but I think you are right with age and being able to understand what life really means.

Nothing like slaughtering some of God's creatures. I find this all kind of sad really, unless of course the animal was a menace.

I could never understand the joy of killing through. Maybe it's just me.

M

I understand you completely Michael, and there's nothing wrong with that way of thinking.

For me, it was the culture and environment in which I grew up. I shot my first deer when I was 9 or 10 yrs old... and I clearly remember how proud my Dad was. But, before you jump the gun, know this, my father always emphazied, strongly, that we (my sisters and I) respect the life of the animals. I know how easy it can be to precieve this as some hoky BS, but it truly is not. At the age of 13, I called up my first Bobcat, and then shot and wounded it. I trailed it only about 50 yrds or so before finding it, and there I sat and wept like a baby as I watched it exhale it's last breath. I swore then that I'd never shoot another, but did, about 25 yrs later. My wife wanted a rug, and we have many of them on the ranch, so I shot an old male.

If you went to our ranch in South Texas, you'd be surprised at just how much wild game we have. They are all well looked after; Dad even paid for another 17 more water wells drilled so that the animals could have water near by, all year round.

Nothing like slaughtering some of God's creatures. I find this all kind of sad really, unless of course the animal was a menace.

I could never understand the joy of killing through. Maybe it's just me.

M

Don't apologize for your humanity (or humaneness), Michael. It's not just you, and I wish it was everybody. It would be a different and better world...

I hunted rabbits and pheasants with a shotgun when I was a teenager growing up in rural PA, but left home before I got into deer hunting.

My younger brother, however, bought himself a 30.06 rifle and thought he wanted to go deer hunting. First day of deer season a buck came wandering past him with it's lower jaw shot off. He killed it rather than let it starve to death -- and never went hunting again.

James