1000 pound hog

Jay481985

Thanks guys, I was feeling a bit of a wuss there. But in some strange way, the size and age of that boar seemed pretty magnificent. Kind of like those huge squid they are catching and killing. Maybe we should let some of nature just be nature. It's the Boy Scout in me.

I understand the need to cull the herd, in Indiana we have a deer population problem. And there's hunting for food and a certain nobility in a man teaching his son the sport, if that's tradition in your part of the land.

It's just not for me at all. My cats wounded a baby bird yesterday and even that hurts me.....nature's way is cruel isn't she?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

huge squid we are catching and killing?

Seems there's all these bizarre and huge sea creatures that are being found. Of course they have to be killed and brought onshore. Pix pop up on the home page of AOL every so often.

oh I know that there are two different breeds of huge sea squids but they come to shore either when they died to where mistakenly caught by us in fishing rigs. Actually we know very little about them and their habitats since they live in very deep waters and we just recently caught a video of them in the 400 years we knew they existed. The predator/prey of them are sperm whales.

• Moderators

Colter.

Yeh, nature is surprisingly cruel. At least, that's the way we think of it.

Thats true Dee, we think it's cruel, in nature it's just the food chain !

But sport hunting (not eating the kill) is not really included by nature, and in nature nothing is waisted.

i was disturbed a father let his son use a gun especially such a big revolver at age 11...

oh btw at age 15 he will be hunting the most dangerous game of all, humans [;)] jk

My own son quite rightly calls this a total nonsequitur. There is absolutely no evidence to indicate that this boy will hunt humans. A real red herring in this thread if ever there was one. Statistically, you would probably find him to grow up and be very responsible. He also probably knows how to handle firearms better than most on this forum. That's a good thing. If he has been hunting since age five, his father (and/or others) have given him a lot of training on how to handle firearms.

If it had been an adult on this hunt carrying a handgun, there would still have been one or two others with rifles there to back him up.

Bruce

i was disturbed a father let his son use a gun especially such a big revolver at age 11...

oh btw at age 15 he will be hunting the most dangerous game of all, humans [;)] jk

My own son quite rightly calls this a total nonsequitur. There is absolutely no evidence to indicate that this boy will hunt humans. A real red herring in this thread if ever there was one. Statistically, you would probably find him to grow up and be very responsible. He also probably knows how to handle firearms better than most on this forum. That's a good thing. If he has been hunting since age five, his father (and/or others) have given him a lot of training on how to handle firearms.

If it had been an adult on this hunt carrying a handgun, there would still have been one or two others with rifles there to back him up.

Bruce

One thought I would add to Bruce's word is that the time this son spends with his father is most likely a formation experience which has an excellent chance of contributing to this youngster becoming a responsible adult male.

Bruce

marvel i was kidding note the smiley..... It was actually a line in the Simpsons if I recall right

Oh lets see...boar hunting...very nice!

I have not done it yet, but I would! The reason for the hand gun is vegitation. You need to be able to swing and shoot. You don't want to be caught by a boar, ANYWHERE! Most people use a 44 Mag on the side and their weapon of choice as the long arm.

I would say I would use a 45-70 long arm and a 44 mag on my side for last chance backup. I have both but have not hunted them...yet! And I would!

I know of people who have hunted them with knife!

Besides Polar Bear, (in N America) this is the ultimate man -vs- beast!

Oh lets see...boar hunting...very nice! 

I have not done it yet, but I would!  The reason for the hand gun is vegitation.  You need to be able to swing and shoot.  You don't want to be caught by a boar, ANYWHERE!  Most people use a 44 Mag on the side and their weapon of choice as the long arm.

I would say I would use a 45-70 long arm and a 44 mag on my side for last chance backup.  I have both but have not hunted them...yet!  And I would!

I know of people who have hunted them with knife! 

Besides Polar Bear, (in N America) this is the ultimate man -vs- beast!

Good choices Phil, especially the long gun. Nothing else like a lever action, just a classic feel to them. I gave up hunting many years ago, but I still shoot. I have several Rugers and that is what I am comfortable with. My choice for the revolver would be a Super Redhawk .454 Casull. 
Robert Ruark wrote "Use Enough Gun" and he was right about that, but nowadays I would rather shoot target with a more reasonable weapon and improve my skills. 
But I do respect the respectful hunters.
- Jim
EDIT - thanks for the link sput - this whole thing just seemed suspect. Part of the reason I don't hunt anymore is because of ignorant hunters. I get the impression there are many guys that don't fish that much anymore for the same reason.

Sounds like Dick Cheney's kind of "hunting," surprised he didn't have dibs on this one.

http://kdka.com/local/local_story_344154903.html

Hand raised pet pig "hunted" down and killed in an enclosed area. Ace marksman 11 year old fired 16 shots at "Fred" who was about the size of a Volkswagen and hit him "less than half a dozen times" over a three hour "hunt." Fred probably thought the kid was going to feed him some canned yams.

The whole thing is pretty disgusting.

James

Sounds like Dick Cheney's kind of "hunting," surprised he didn't have dibs on this one.

Hand raised pet pig "hunted" down and killed in an enclosed area.  Ace marksman 11 year old fired 16 shots at "Fred" who was about the size of a Volkswagen and hit him "less than half a dozen times" over a three hour "hunt."  Fred probably thought the kid was going to feed him some canned yams.

James 

Agreed.
My guess is the kid had dibs though, the whole thing appears like a set up "hunt".
This part bothers me,
"The big boar was hunted inside a large, low-fence enclosure..."
But more so the fact that it took three hours before the animal was down.

I don't call that hunting.

- Jim

Hand raised pet pig "hunted" down and killed in an enclosed area. Ace marksman 11 year old fired 16 shots at "Fred" who was about the size of a Volkswagen and hit him "less than half a dozen times" over a three hour "hunt." Fred probably thought the kid was going to feed him some canned yams.

James

Disgusting, yes that's the word I was was searching for. Then to pose for a photo and post the story like he was some big hero. I bet that kid's dad is a real piece of work. The only person with an inkling of class was the previous owner who came forth with the real story.