1000 pound hog

Jay481985

4 pages dedicated to a 1000 pound hog.... Wow! Makes me hungary for some bacon.

Gee, it looks like this was a hoax..........Farm raised, thought it might have been Arnold Ziffel, sure am glad it wasn't. That's what happens to unemployed TV stars, they get lazy and put on weight..................

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see animals like that hog being a problem and the possible necessity of killing it. An adult has the emotional maturity to realize what taking a life entails. Things are a lot less clear for children.

For an 11-year-old to fly an airplane or climb a mountain is an achievement that could be rewarding and fulfilling and be of benefit. Sport hunting is a whole different thing and should be reserved for adults, IMHO.

I hated killing fish after I caught them when I was little, I still dislike it but I think you are right with age and being able to understand what life really means.

I don't sport hunt anymore. Once I became good at it, I realized that it was not fair, and I don't like the taste of wild game.

I have adopted the philosophy that (other than target shooting) I will never again shoot at anything that can't shoot back.

.........For an 11-year-old to fly an airplane or climb a mountain is an achievement that could be rewarding and fulfilling and be of benefit. Sport hunting is a whole different thing and should be reserved for adults, IMHO........

No, it is EXACTLY the same thing. The thrill of achievement in doing a hammer-head in a Pitt's pulling 5.5 and 2.7 negative G's, climbing the grand Teton, jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, OR the kid with the pig (with adult backup) .........all the same. The thrill of a lifetime, is remembered, and carried for a lifetime. Whatever it is, we as fathers should be obligated to place our boys in a position of risk, (with backup) to excel in such things. If the Hog was 300lbs or 30,000 pounds, tame or wild, that kid will never forget the shot or forget his father for putting him in a position of (controlled) risk. The boy was sucessful, and will remember that to the day he dies.

tc

• Moderators

Easy decision for me tame or wild, let's see 600 lbs of sausage or let it die of old age...................bang........ sorry, no problem here, plus I raised hogs at one time for food ! Best pork I had ever tasted, they were on a corn diet for the last 6 weeks. I even have it on VHS tape, killing and cleaning, which also has the last movies with my dad in it.

When you buy it wrapped in plastic in the store someone killed it ?

I just opened sputnik's link.

That was no hunt I would ever be involved with.

I don't hunt much anymore myself. I've been on too many hunts where you run into someone drinking a pulling the trigger just to here the gun go off.

I only bird hunt anymore. Love the english setters and a nice browning 16 guage A-5.

I can see animals like that hog being a problem and the possible necessity of killing it. An adult has the emotional maturity to realize what taking a life entails. Things are a lot less clear for children.

For an 11-year-old to fly an airplane or climb a mountain is an achievement that could be rewarding and fulfilling and be of benefit. Sport hunting is a whole different thing and should be reserved for adults, IMHO.

I hated killing fish after I caught them when I was little, I still dislike it but I think you are right with age and being able to understand what life really means.

I don't sport hunt anymore. Once I became good at it, I realized that it was not fair, and I don't like the taste of wild game.

I have adopted the philosophy that (other than target shooting) I will never again shoot at anything that can't shoot back.

.........For an 11-year-old to fly an airplane or climb a mountain is an achievement that could be rewarding and fulfilling and be of benefit. Sport hunting is a whole different thing and should be reserved for adults, IMHO........

No, it is EXACTLY the same thing. The thrill of achievement in doing a hammer-head in a Pitt's pulling 5.5 and 2.7 negative G's, climbing the grand Teton, jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, OR the kid with the pig (with adult backup) .........all the same. The thrill of a lifetime, is remembered, and carried for a lifetime. Whatever it is, we as fathers should be obligated to place our boys in a position of risk, (with backup) to excel in such things. If the Hog was 300lbs or 30,000 pounds, tame or wild, that kid will never forget the shot or forget his father for putting him in a position of (controlled) risk. The boy was sucessful, and will remember that to the day he dies.

tc

Go get 'em Terry. Some people will never understand this, at all.

tc

Go get 'em Terry. Some people will never understand this, at all.

Yeah, maybe that hog had too much cowbell.

Easy decision for me tame or wild, let's see 600 lbs of sausage or let it die of old age...................bang........ sorry, no problem here, plus I raised hogs at one time for food ! Best pork I had ever tasted, they were on a corn diet for the last 6 weeks. I even have it on VHS tape, killing and cleaning, which also has the last movies with my dad in it.

Who wants sausage from a pig that died of natural causes?

dtel:

I was raised on a farm & have no problem with raising an animal for slaughter. After all, that's where all our meat comes from.

The problem I have with this whole sick scenario is that this pet hog (which was "feral" for a total of four days) was sold as a "hunt." I don't know what was paid for the "privilege" of killing this pet pig, but I think the whole thing is sick.

And contrary to what IB Slammin says, I think that once the kid understands what he did, he will be ashamed for the rest of his life.

James

No matter what anyone says, that was not hunting. A tame anything will not give the same experience of actually have to hunt.

Remember, hunting and shooting are two totally different things. You have to be able to do both.

I have hunted all day not to fire one shot, even though I have seen game, the shot wasn't a good one so I don't shoot. I have never hunted released game on a game preserve due to the nature of them being more tame.

Hatched quail are some of the easiest birds to hunt. Wild quail react differently and were born knowing the preditor/prey concept.

However, I'm sure after the boy shot the pet pig the first time the hunt was on as the pig realized something went amuck in his life.

To me it's sad, but I'm not going to slam the boy or his folks. They did what they did and who knows what they knew or didn't know at the time. The truth is, a pig has a rather pre-determind life when born anyway.

My wife used to get pet pigs (Jewish New Yorker from Brooklyn who gives anesthesia) and raise them until the were large. She would then give them away so she could get more piglets. She always said they were going to a safe farm....YEA...RIGHT!

dtel:

I was raised on a farm & have no problem with raising an animal for slaughter. After all, that's where all our meat comes from.

The problem I have with this whole sick scenario is that this pet hog (which was "feral" for a total of four days) was sold as a "hunt." I don't know what was paid for the "privilege" of killing this pet pig, but I think the whole thing is sick.

And contrary to what IB Slammin says, I think that once the kid understands what he did, he will be ashamed for the rest of his life.

James

my thoughts exactly. This is not normal farm 'harvest' for food, but a bizarre twist of 'pet turned into hunted'.

Imagine selling your old dog to a neighbor so their kid could put it in a pen to shoot it to death, slowly. That's my take on what happened here.

Sick, just sick. (IMO)

Tangent time...........

The lady I'm dating (yes....I finally got divorced some months back - YIPPEE!!!!!!) has done some hog hunting. She has a Ruger 7-08 rifle. Anything I need to be worried or concerned about?? Anything I should ask her like, "What kind of head start would you give me??"

Tom

She has a Ruger 7-08 rifle. Anything I need to be worried or concerned about??

Tom,

I don't even know where to start......[^o)]

I guess if I had to take a stab at it, does she have anger management issues?

What state (physical) are her past relationships in?

Of course, this could be a very good thing![:D]

Tangent time...........

The lady I'm dating (yes....I finally got divorced some months back - YIPPEE!!!!!!) has done some hog hunting. She has a Ruger 7-08 rifle. Anything I need to be worried or concerned about?? Anything I should ask her like, "What kind of head start would you give me??"

Tom

I think what kind of head start is an excellent question.

What else does she hunt?

Second question: What is your opinion of chauvinist pigs? Sweetheart?

• Moderators

Who wants sausage from a pig that died of natural causes?

Exactly, Dee !