McIntosh Heaven, Maggies, Klipsch and tons more

Went to an estate sale today that advertised 17 pieces of McIntosh gear, Maggies, Klipsch, Parasound, Rotel, B&O, and boatloads more.

It was all that, and much more.

I made it in in the first 50 people, and immediately saw the Mac throne inside the front door. L shelves 8 feet high, five feet long, and chock full of Mac gear, MC240s x 2, MC100s x 3, MC50s x 3, 2 MC2105s, a couple MC300s, a MC225, some tube preamps and tuners, two MC230s, one each C24, 26, 28, 32, a couple industrial tube amps. Helped get a couple pieces down from the shelves for older gents, kept things civil, and then moseyed off to find the cheaper stuff and Klipsch speakers. Saw four sets of Maggies, a set of small old Fraziers, some frufru British speakers, a Klipsch SW10, a set of good black La Scalas($900 now, $700 tomorrow in good crisp shape,) and then went on to the garage. Full workshop there, lots of woodworking tools.

Wandered back in and came across the Telarc Stravinsky Firebird suite, and a Murray organ recital from LA. Wanted both of those, so I grabbed them. Came back to the Mac shrine, and talked three people into buying nice lookers with cases. I finally had access to what I thought were a couple Marantz tube crossovers, only to find out they were a push-pull custom 2a3 integrated setup with a 6SL7 and a 5au4 or 6au4 rectifier. Nice gold plated connections, power transformer on a separate unit. I put my coffee down on a speaker to pick up the custom brew, and noticed a note on the underside that they were an attempt to mimic the Brook 12A circuitry. $100 for the set. Saturday is looking good.

Picked up the coffee, and noticed the masking tape on the speaker read "Klipsch Academy WO, sorry, only one, $75."[:o]

I'm tapped out with these two buys, so if anyone needs a set of very clean black La Scalas, for a relative song, they should be at the estate sale tomorrow. The six foot Maggies were in the $300 range, so more bargains to be had if working. All the tube Mac gear flew out in the first twenty minutes.

Rob, it was all in St. Louis, tho the Mac 6900s are now in Festus. There were a lot of happy Mac collectors, and the prices were a decent scooch above mid line. The stuff that was too high today will sell in the morning, although the MA230s were way too high at $1200. A good estate price for them is $4-500 with original boxes.

"I finally had access to what I thought were a couple Marantz tube crossovers, only to find out they were a push-pull custom 2a3 integrated setup with a 6SL7 and a 5au4 or 6au4 rectifier."

You sure there wasn't two 6AU4's? It's just a half wave rectifier.

Arky is looking for LaScals's, I will drop him a line and see if he responds. Later Bill

Thanks Bill, been out with a golf tourney this weekend. This is what i'm trying to run across.

Dave: Do you know if the lascalas are still available & how to contact. I'm obviously in AR.

I'm sorry, Arky, they went for $500 on Sunday. There weren't too many people strong enough to manhandle the set around, even fewer who had the minivan, and the the house space, the money etc....

I would have picked them up at that price just as a courtesy transfer, but the company is camping on two months of my expense reports right now. There are another couple sets of Scalas for sale in St. Louis, and CaptnBob has a beater set he could probably stand to sell. What finish and style do you need - I'll give you a shout when I run across a set again.

No one ever finds me an OLD, run down, last years model, better throw it away or trade it all in model MX 119 for a steal at one of these things.... of say 500.00 - 1,000.00 or less hahahahahah But hey, I can dream! I saw working 250's go for 200 a piece a couple years ago, before I knew what was what..... Makes me ill!