with complex passages and instrumentation that will cause us to really
note which systems we enjoy the most. (note: Diana Krall will NOT be
on the list)

ideas?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a few songs that might make good candidates. I can play them for you later this week and I'll let you decide if it's what you're looking for.

Btw, I really like your idea. It gets boring listening to stuff that sounds good everywhere.

• Moderators

Can we ban Diana Krall and Norah Jones Pleeeeeeeeeease?

hehehehehe

[Y] Ok i will be the first to throw out something......Traffic..."Low Spark" and Old love from Eric Clapton, both have a mix of different instruments, OK I just like them !

96 Tears - ? and the Mysterians.

Wow.....96 Tears...I vote for that one too...probably one of my all time favorite songs.

What about some Van Morrison??

Not exactly a good 'test track' although it may be a favorite. I'm looking for songs that are difficult to reproduce, with complex passages, tones at the limits of frequency response, etc. You guys are kidding me, right?

• Moderators

Not exactly a good 'test track' although it may be a favorite. I'm looking for songs that are difficult to reproduce, with complex passages, tones at the limits of frequency response, etc. You guys are kidding me, right?

I've actually found the best "test tracks" to be music you are very familiar with, not necessarily complex with lots of range. It's difficult to tell how good the speakers are comparitively if you've never heard the song before. I guess that's why some of our engineers choose the Doobie Brothers and Supertramp as their test tracks. [;)]

Good point Amy, although both of those bands feature great players on all counts, fairly complex arrangements (for rock/pop bands) and superb recording technique. I enjoy differentiating instruments in multi-guitar or guitar/keys rock. Not every system sounds like a million bucks with either of them, but they are very familiar bands and I'd include them in a heartbeat.

How about Steely Dan, maybe some Chicago (horns on horns, remember?)

Still looking for input from LarryC, but I enjoyed hearing Aaron Copeland at Roger's last night.

how about Frankenstein it goes ting ting ting an some pink floyd it goes whoosh whoosh whoosh some robin trower it goes ping ping ping some grand funk it goes klang klang klang, steve miller it goes rev rev schreech varoom, ten years after it goes FM band white noise while it tunes in the station wish wish wish...........

• Moderators

I thought the whole idea behind "auditioning" speakers/systems was to listen with music you are familiar with??????

I am not opposed to "orchestra" music, but as a rule "orchestra/symphony" is not my music "of choice".

Some symphony, along with a lot of familiar tunes would be a good idea IMO.

and....of course, Michael if you could squeeze in some Motown I would surely give you a big kiss!!!![:D]

Michael, you know I love you....but you asked for it with this one........[;)]

Steely Dan - Gaucho: Track 1 - Babylon Sister (or, for some nice horns Track 4 - Gaucho)

Jack Johnson - Curious George Soundtrack: Track 2 (several good tracks on this CD)

Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Session: Track 2 - Misguided Angel (some cool and strange LF going on in this one)

Katie Melua - Piece by Piece - Track 8 - On the Road Again (good female vocal, horns on this one)

Larry Carlton - Sapphire Blue - Track 3 - Night Sweats

Donald Fagen - Morph the Cat - Track 1- Morph the Cat

Albert King with SRV - In Session - Track 6 - Blues at Sunrise

Thelonious Monk - Straight, No Chaser - Track 3 - Straight, No Chaser

Thanks Seadog- good suggestions. I think some Steely Dan is a winner. Looking at some SRV or maybe Robert Cray for blues guitar.

What for rock? Is that going to be the toughest category? Leave it to me and I'll have some classic Zep and Yes or Stones!

Don't forget other people's tastes too Mr. Colter dude [;)] I see a lot of classic rock and jazz....we at least need some classical. Any chance for some crazy new age stuff? Or will there be too few interested in that?

You out there Larry? I would love to do a side by side comparison with that one classical piece where Malotky had a better recording, but you had a better performance. I think it would be a dramatic exercise to play the two side by side.