scott 299a disappointment

hi all,

yesterday i recieved the 299a i bought off e-bay and this morning installed the tubes and hooked it up. all i got was a low frequency hum and no audio fron any source. crap!! i see that 5 of the 12ax7 tubes dont light up at all. the shame of it is the chassis and faceplate are immaculate. it has been gone over and suppposedly rebuilt with new capacitors.

well i'm undecided on what to do now. make a fuss and try to have it returned? have it gone over again with the added expense? how much might that cost. looking for advice. thanks a bunch!

pete

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete,

Flip the amp over and take the bottom cover off. Take some close up pictures of the under chassis wiring and components and either post them up here and email them to me craigostby@comcast.net. I'll take a look see at the workmanship and advise if you should raise a fuss. This could be something very simple but I would rather not advise you to start messing with different things until I see your not into a time bomb situation. Gone over by a tech on eBay can mean many things..........

Craig

oh and in reply to the other post the selling price was $312. and change. add $35.00 shipping to that.

i have to wonder if it's possible that one bad tube could effect some of the others, like in a parallel circuit? just wondering. seems odd that so many tubes would be dead but some were still live unless ofcourse they are in a common circuit. anyway, i'll try to post the pics in the morning.

thanks!

That is a bummer. It does look good though.

My take, most Ebay sellers will guarantee an item to be not DOA. That's DOA if you want to make a fuss you've got a case.

OTOH, you've got a good resource to get it running with Craig.

Send Craig some pics of the inside and he will give you an opinion as to the workmanship and if there is anything visibly wrong. He does fine work, both my Scott LK-72 (Craig's original early work) and my McIntosh MC-30's, so I can vouch for his character and workmanship. He is very helpful over the internet and by phone.

Hopefully it is nothing major and you can get it up and running. For the price, it should be in working order.

hi all,

yesterday i recieved the 299a i bought off e-bay and this morning installed the tubes and hooked it up. all i got was a low frequency hum and no audio fron any source. crap!! i see that 5 of the 12ax7 tubes dont light up at all. the shame of it is the chassis and faceplate are immaculate. it has been gone over and suppposedly rebuilt with new capacitors.

well i'm undecided on what to do now. make a fuss and try to have it returned? have it gone over again with the added expense? how much might that cost. looking for advice. thanks a bunch!

pete

There shouldn't be *5* 12AX7's in the thing.

Keith

Relax, listen to what Craig has to say................will be worth whatever repairs it may need.....I think this Forum is LUCKY to have a man like Craig on here, he helps many on here, and his hand isn't stickin' out, almost unheard of these days. He is an asset to the Forum , and to the hobby.....

If you bought it advertised as in working condition, and there is no apparent damage, then send it back. If you buy an item advertised as working it should not require repairs when you receive it, provided there is no transit damage.

To swallow this situation and sign up for after-sale repairs just encourages e-bay fraud and debases the whole system for everyone.

If you bought it advertised as in working condition, and there is no apparent damage, then send it back. If you buy an item advertised as working it should not require repairs when you receive it, provided there is no transit damage.

To swallow this situation and sign up for after-sale repairs just encourages e-bay fraud and debases the whole system for everyone.

GOOD POINT...................Enough scammers on there already..!!!!!!!

If you paid $350 shipped you did not get a bad deal one way or the other in this day and age. Sending it back without first checking it out for a simple fix is just silly. Heck I have completely rebuild vintage amps and had them arrive at the customers home and have them not work. Many parts can and do get damaged in shipping especially the tubes!! Get the under chassis shots to me and if any work at all has been done in a reasonable fashion you recieved a fair deal. Anyone that buys vintage gear on eBay listed as gone over by a tech or similar and thinks its going to be 100% reliable at this price is fooling themselves. A good quality 100% rebuild cost more the you paid for the amplifier. Trust me this amp is going to need work sooner or later.

Craig

That's true, but it's probably something simple, and it would be a shame to lose such a pristine example. If I bought one of these vintage units, and it had been adverstised as having been upgraded by "the best vintage tech on the planet" -- it would still immediately go to Craig. I would take the pictures Craig asked for so he can determine if the seller was misrepresenting the condition -- then make a call.

i just bought a 299a from thebes that craig had rebuilt. it sounds freaking fantastic. i'd just send it to craig and let him check it out. at least then you know for sure it's ready to party. you definitely have a clean looking unit. you didn't overpay by any means. you might want to hire a maid and a yardman because once you get it hooked up, things seem to get neglected around the house.