Dutch Boy Gets Preamp - Says Texas Women Are Uitstekend!

• Moderators

Well Timkidd (Tim) our forum brother from the Netherlands (think Holland, Amsterdam, tulips, wooden shoes, hash bars, red light district, Heineken), came with three of his friends from the Netherlands and visited Austin, Texas, and some of the surrounding sites. They arrived the weekend before Memorial Day weekend and stayed until last Sunday. Tim also took the opportunity to buy my Mac MX-110 preamp and make sure it got packed properly and shipped back home to go with his MC-30's.

Since they were here we made sure that got a good sampling of real Texas Barbeque with brisket, baby back ribs, jalapeno sausage and all the side together with some good Texas beer to wash it down with. After that day I think they hit it hard every night, I had a chance to see them one morning for coffee and they were going very slow at times.

During one late night I heard one of Tims friends was quoted as saying: : Ik heb een ambulance nodig, er zijn overal spinnen en ik ben heel erg bang.

They went out and hit the road for a few days and came back so Tim could get his preamp all boxed up nice and safe. During some down time I asked Tim if he and his friends had seen any pretty Texas girls. He started asking me if there was something in the water in Texas, or the beef, or the BBQ sauce or some other secret that results in all of the natural beauty that abounds in the Lonestar State.

I meant to get these up a lot sooner, but I have been busy getting ready for a murder trial that starts Monday that I have been working on night and day for the last couple of weeks. I just couldn't look at it anymore and decided to take a 15 min. break to get this these photos posted.

Here is Tim (on right) talking with Luther (Wardsweb) who drove up from San Antonio that day.

post-15134-13819334215968_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

The average height, I'm talking the AVERAGE, of a male in The Netherlands is 6'2", the tallest of any country. I am 6'3" and on the far left. I don't know what happened to Tim, Cab and Edward, but I think the average height shot up an inch while they were out of the country. Maybe they spent too much time in the "coffee bars" back home.

Travis

post-15134-13819334217848_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

As many of you know already, the MX-110 uses two 6U8/ECF82 tubes in the line stage (and one in the multiplex circuit) and this is very difficult to find in Telefunken. And then it is very difficult to find quiet ones. Rarer still are the up graded version of the 6U8, the ECF 802. Tim got two of these as kind of a bonus since I will probably never own anything again that uses a 6U8.

post-15134-13819334218478_thumb.jpg

I'm sure Tim will be very happy with the MX-110. It will be a nice progression from the Mapletree Audio 4A SE preamp he was using for the past couple of years. I wonder where my former preamp will end up next, Canada to the Netherlands to....

Sounds like Tim and his buddies had a great visit in Austin.

Hi Travis, thanks for putting up the pics. We had a great time indeed... and Texas women are uitstekend, thanks for the translation Don, in this sentence however 'fine' is not good enough, make it 'outstanding'. For the sake of science we must have been in every bar downtown. We just had to find out what Austin's secret was. Where do all these pretty girls come from? Indeed first we thought 'the water'. We are still not sure, but steaks and Lonestar beer are definitely part of the equasion. We must indeed come back to finish our research.

At Travis' place we met Luther. We were just in time to see the guys unpack a set of Cornwalls II. This was the heritage speaker I had never seen before in real life. I am very impressed. I was very impressed all the way actually. Many before me have said it, but Blueberry Xtreme, VRD's and Klipsch heritage, what a combo!!! Great sound and great looks! The real ear- & eyeopener however was the sound quality of the reel to reel tapes. Amazing that after so many years the tapes are still perfectly preserved. In one picture Luther is explaining something. I can't remember what exactly, but I look bored. [:D]

I'm sure I wasn't, maybe just a little bit tired. It must have been around this time one of my friends said this: "Ik heb een ambulance nodig, er zijn overal spinnen en ik ben heel erg bang." , because I can't remember that either.

LOL! Travis, how on earth did you get this right? It says: "I need an ambulance, there are spiders everywhere and I am very afraid."

The MX110 is in Holland now. Just needs to be cleared by customs I guess. I can't wait to hook it up. Travis, thanks again for your hospitality. I am sure we will meet again soon (the scientific research, you know). I will try to add some more pics of our trip later this week. Cheers guys! and keep Austin weird! Tim.

• Like 1