3 minutes to Miller Time

jacksonbart

Sorry about that TH.. Just my destroyed palate from many years of abuse. I drank Absoult for years. It was the well drink at my favorite old watering holes. Then we got friendly with some of the girl batrenders at Mortons and starting getting FREE drinks of Belvedere every day after work. Ruined me totally. I got to where Stoli- Absoult- Sky-Smirnoff - and even .. GOOSE.. didint taste right. Now I can barely tolerate FInlandia- I can stand ketel OK- I prefer belvedere but cannot afford it. no disrespect meant- didnt realize you were a Absoult fan- open mouth - insert foot. Your Vodka is fine- the problem is with my dumb @ss.Drinking the top shelf vodka is a mistake unlesss it is a permanent plan. Not like whiskey where you can go back and forth.

been drinking Evan Williams single barrel- thumbs down IMHO at 27.99- rather have black jack at 22.00 knob creek has goten stupid with the price.

Sipping on a Pilsner uqurel as we speak- out of vodka- need to reup

Big wine score.. someplace here went belly up- bought their last order for pennies on the dollar-very srtange situation-been washing down my Egg grill cooked boston butts with 150.00 cabernet. this is gonna suck when the well runs dry on this deal.

Where are those dam dancing girls??? - Note to self - never pay in advance.

Definitely no offense taken buddy. I guess my palate is not quiet so refined[:o] I prefer Grey Goose but like Belvedere price is a factor for me. I can't say that I have tried Belvedere but with your endorsement I will try some. I have been drinking Makers Mark but I may try some different scotches this fall. Again....when you go past Dalmore Cigar Malt you may lose me again.

Looks like me, you, and Ace are tending bar. Where is that wus JB? He's been awol for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the cheers to the project...although I am sure it will be busting my tail and dead tired, it will be a joy to have a dry basement after 2 years...that's my home theatre room and 2 channel room that are not being finished because of water. 'nother round on me!

hey TH--- it is your lucky day-- just ran out for quick fix to the ABC store. belvedere is on sale- 54.99 for a handle- 12 dollar discount(awfull tall bottle- PITA) 30 for a 750. good opportunity to try, this stuff is TASTELESS- like distilled water-for the record my palate is ruined not refined. I like vodka without taste- but that is just me. Absolut and goose are similar in character IMHO.

I am a MM guy- in the rotation- myself. The stuff is just a ripoff in NC. Got to go to SC and reup.

Have not seen JB- musta discovered a stash of old playboys in his attic or something

The daily scotches are in bad shape now- 10 yr Springbank is gone- try balvine doublewood- foolproof.

Now to go mix a belevedere martini- YEAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!- Not had any in a while- only buy it on sale.

yep decided on a belv and tonic with some fresh limes from the farmers market- Limes??? dont know where they came form better than that dried up garbage at HT.

Belvd is SOOOOO SMOOOOTH- you can mix a double- tastes like a single- will kick your @ss if you are not careful

I think it is still cheaper than Goose

Intersting story- I have a customer in Montreal- She begged me to bring her a bottle of Goose becuase the stuff is so high up there with the taxes. I brought her a bottle of Goose and a bottle of belvedere- made no comments as to my preference- back when you could still carry on liquids- guess which one stole the show????

You gotta try it particular if you are a martini drinker.

So how did the Bloodys turn out??????never got a report

Dam-Look what the cat drug up. It's MIke!!!!!!!!!!! thought you were on your way to the land of cowboys and topwater bass??????

When ya shipping out?? too bad we dont have time for a tunes and booze fest at CBs. he is apes--t over those k horns you sold him.

I was glad to hear about your job - but bummed out by the fact that the distance wil be so great. CB has said that we need to make a road trip after you get a place and drag you out to a bar. Dont laugh ... it could happen

Dont waste time watching the Braves- related to the Panthers- will break your heart every time.

Take care buddy.

Hi Mike.....glad you stopped by. My neighbor 3 houses down got me started on MM. He is retired CIA and an interesting fellow. We went to a movie together about the spy (Ames or Hanssen...can't recall) who was selling info to the Russians for years and he said he use to work down the hall from him. He always wore expensive suits and drove luxury cars on a very meager salary[:^)]

Hey Ace....when you get my age you can talk about being tired. Congrats on the future music room. Where are you located? I might volunteer winchester to come over and help you dig[:)]

Winchester......the bloody marys were a hit but what can you really do to mess one up?

bluesboy is coming over tomorrow to discuss a new addition on the house. Take advantage of prices while the economy is bad. Maybe a martini afterwards.

Cheers gents[D]

Wrong on the Bloody ms- IMHO- Mine taste lke s---. have not figured out the secret. glad yours were a success-tasted many more bad ones than good ones- most good ones at bars where people knew what they were doing. On that note- there is this cute little bartender down the roadwith just a few miles on her late 30s that makes the best bloody mary that you ever wrapped your lips around- maybe she will show me how to make them at her place.... bad idea. She is bad to the bone.

Winchester dont do no digging- just supervisin- with drink in hand.I have lived in my own private h--- of DIY projects over the years. I have always been too cheap to pay someone else.

TH - about that signature-- black fellas moaning the blues- ever been to Beale Street in Mempis????? you will find your jazzjoint there and 100 more just like it. if you have not- get your @ss on a plane tomorrow. Blues Nirvana. Been there done that but no place else can compare. Bules Junkie myself

TH - about that signature-- black fellas moaning the blues- ever been to Beale Street in Mempis????? you will find your jazzjoint there and 100 more just like it. if you have not- get your @ss on a plane tomorrow. Blues Nirvana. Been there done that but no place else can compare. Bules Junkie myself

Two books about music and the times they were written in that I really enjoyed is On The Road by Jack Kerouac and Chronicles by Bob Dylan. I have read both more than once. Buy them and thank me later.

Never been to Memphis but I would kinda like to go there......blues and ribs.....

Nothing better then ole' mud island see the sights and sounds come on, one and all to

Memphis,Tn get your ribs at Rendezvous and your music at the Rum Boogie Cafe stop

by and visit the Gibson guitar factory walk down Beale St. and have quite a few Miller's,

don't forget to see ELVIS ya hear!!Rendezvous in Memphis, TN

The Rendezvous is one of the more famous barbecue restaurants in the country, on par with Arthur Bryants and Lexington #1 in their respective regions. A common question in Memphis is Corkys or Rendezvous? For me, the answer has always been the Rendezvous.

My love affair with Rendezvous started as a senior in high school when I was on a visit to Rhodes college. I went with a family friend who had been going there for years, and we drank pitchers of Michelob (all they serve on draft) and threw down cheese plates and ribs. This is a good night anytime, but when youre eighteen years old and drinking in a restaurant for the first time, it instantly shoots up to legendary status.

Rendezvous is set in an alley across from the Peabody Hotel. As you walk down Charlie Vergos Rendezvous Alley, the smell of charcoal, pork and Rendezvous spice mix wafts through the air. Its an unforgettable smell.

If you go on a Friday or Saturday, youll likely have at least an hour wait, which is amazing because the place is absolutely enormous. Luckily they have an upstairs level where you can grab a pitcher of Michelob and sometimes even a cheese plate. You could also walk over to the Peabody for a drink and sit next to the famous duck fountain, but make sure youre back in time.

Once your name is called, you walk downstairs to the main dining room and are overwhelmed by the sights, smells and sounds. Make sure you look back over your right shoulder to see the charcoal pits filled with loin back ribs. The décor on the walls is an eclectic mix of random pictures and well, just random crap. It looks like someone went into a vintage junk store and bought one of everything to hang on the walls. Its pretty cool.

The waiters are a Memphis tradition. Legend has it that the jobs are handed down through family connections and that most make six figures. This seems ridiculous at first, but when you start doing the math, you start to think it might be possible. Most of the staff has been there forever and all but one has an initial gruff greeting that says hurry up and order. They seem to be testing you out a bit. If you roll with it and your group is out to have a good time, they soon drop the attitude and become quick with a jokeand even quicker with your next pitcher of Michelob.

Then theres Percy. He just cant help but smile all the time. You hope he comes to your table often because hes the kind of guy that helps white people loosen up and tap into that inner soul that we all long to let loose. His infectious personality also leads to you ordering one more pitcher of Michelob than you need, but thats a problem for in the morning.

While they have other things on the menu, the only thing Ive tried is the cheese plate and the ribs. The cheese plate is simply long rectangles of cheddar cheese, smoked sausage and dill pickles covered with a dusting of Rendezvous rub. The recommended method is to put some cheese and sausage on a Saltine, pour a little bit of their sauce on it and try to cram it all in your mouth at once. Its fantastic.

Rendezvous serves only dry ribs. They cook the ribs over charcoal for a couple of hours, baste them with a hot vinegar and water mixture, and then apply a generous amount of rub. I recommend adding sauce to them. The sauce and rub have a very distinctive flavor that can become addictive.

Ten years ago, I thought Rendezvous ribs were the best in the world, and many people still feel the same way. But as my barbecue horizons have been broadened, Ive come to realize that Rendezvous doesnt really serve barbecued ribs. They serve slow grilled ribs with a great rub and sauce. It still tastes very good, but it lacks the true smoke flavor that ribs like the Bar-B-Q Shop have.

On this visit, Tommy JP and I joined my friend John and we polished off several pitchers of beer, a couple of cheese plates and four full orders of ribs. John has been in Memphis for over 15 years, and he agreed with my sentiment that Rendezvous is a great experience, but nowhere near the best barbecue in town.

Rendezvous is a must if youre going to Memphis. It had the best atmosphere of any place on the trip and Ill likely go back every time I visit because its always a good time. Ill just make sure I hit the Bar-B-Q shop for lunch.