La Scala

gil

Hi All,

I just bought a used pair of black La Scala speakers, and will take delivery in a couple of days. I plan to drive them with a Golden Tube Audio SE40 (single ended 40 watt tube amp) and want to know if these speakers were meant to be placed at corners like the Khorns or just anywhere against the back wall. My room measures 14' wide x 18' long x 10' high.

I've never listened to horns before, but the horn bug's bitten me and I've finally taken the plunge.

Gil

PWK felt that all speakers are better in corners. The bass will be more abundant (only you can say if it sounds better) when the La Scalas are in corners.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Make certain that the tweeters are working. Put a towel in the squawker horn and you should easily be able to discern output from the tweeter; no noise and you probably need new diaphragms.

You might want to contact BEC (Bob Crites) about replacing the aged capacitors in the balancing networks. I would also suggest opening the bass bins to verify the correctness of the woofers and to verify that the machine screws are snug. While in there, if the woofers are OK, you might want to supplement the four original machine screws into T-nuts with four wood screws.

As a general rule, La Scalas should be placed along the long wall, near the corners. They don't have to be right in the corners like Khorns. They may sound best toed-in, so they're aimed directly at the listening position. That will get you started, but you'll want to experiment and see what works best in your room. In my room, I found the bass a little uneven if they were right against the wall, but it got better when the nearest corner to the wall (since they were at an angle) was about 6 inches away from it. I pulled them out as far as a foot from the wall without any improvement, so went back to 6 inches away.

Although they're a large and heavy speaker, they slide pretty easily on carpet, so it's easy to move them around until you find the best placement.

I do have mine in corners with a 20 degree toe in. They sound great. Good suggestion to contact Bob. I had him send me the upgrade kit for my AA crossovers and what a difference. Took all of 30 minutes and a couple of calls to Bob and I was listening to new speaks!

scooter

I can't wait to get them hooked up myself. I've been using Apogee Stages for the past several years and am very happy with them. These La Scalas should sound very different, and I will compare them.

One thing they have in common is their size, which is why they are both going to be located in my office. There's no way my wife will let me put the La Scalas in the family room.

One thing they have in common is their size, which is why they are both going to be located in my office. There's no way my wife will let me put the La Scalas in the family room.

What, the La Scalas aren't pretty enough? Get Belles or La Scala IIs! Or, a cheaper tactic, show her a picture of a Jubilee. "See, just the top horn on that is bigger than a whole La Scala. These Scalas are small!"

That's funny. What I'm actually going to tell her is that "now I've moved the big speakers out of the house, I will replace them with a smaller one like the Zigmahornets. With a small footprint and a great price, what's not to like?! I'm only doing it for you."

Hi Gil,

You will have to be Gil #2 [:)]

I
have mine in a room with non-parallel side walls. They are 4'
from the back wall, toed-in about 45 Degrees and the outside corner is
about a foot off of each side wall. They are part of a do-it-all
listening/theater system.

I find this position gives the
best vocals and cleanest lower midrange/upper bass. It also gives
room for my subwoofers to be in the corners.

If you push
them back into the corners the bass will be solid to at least 60 Hz and
quite good down to 50Hz, or so. There will also be a mild bump at
200 Hz.

You didn't say how old they are. Mine are
1981 models. Replacing the capacitors was a revelation. If
yours have Type AL crossovers, you will do well to replace them with
Type AL-3 or one of the many crossover we have designed and published
on the Forums.

Mine seem to be circa 1987 based on serial numbers, and I've probably got the AL crossover. I've just gotten in touch with Bob Crites and am getting prepared for the upgrades. I'll know more next week when I take delivery.

There's no way my wife will let me put the La Scalas in the family room.

When building my Khorns my wife had some concerns about the size. When I got them located in the living room, she looked at them and expressed:

"These speakers are actually very cool and classy"

I could have married her once more that day!

But if she had a problem with the horns, it would be her problem! She can decorate the rest of the house except for the hifi wall, that's my territory.

Unless she really got you by the "b...." for other issues like chasing other wimen, gambling, drinking and fighting ea, I think you should allow yourself the pleasure of having your favourite speakers where you prefer!

A pair of Apogee Stages already dominate the family room, with a pair of Audio Research 120 watt monoblocks. Before that I had an even larger pair of Magnepan MGIIb, so she's lived for 15 years with my toys. My issue is I'm not getting rid of the Stages, so I had to find another place for the LS.

Unless she really got you by the "b...." for other issues like chasing other wimen, gambling, drinking and fighting ea, I think you should allow yourself the pleasure of having your favourite speakers where you prefer!

Wise counsel ... 'specially if you know how to cook for youself! [;)]

Rob