Worth upgrading RF-7 to RF-83?

Kain

i have both the RF7s and the RF83s. The 83s are a bit tamer than the RF7s, a bit more refined, but no I wouldnt upgrade for the incremental improvement. we have both for different reasons, the 7s are used for theater only and the 83s are used for music only and we didnt want the exact same speaker in both rooms for aesthetic reasons, so it works. Enjoy your 7s. btw i looked at your equipment signature and saw you use a reciever to power your setup. if you really want to hear a change in sound, i would suggest you spend your money on upgrading to separates. I recently did just this for the 83s, and that has made a world of difference. These are sensitive speakers but the more good, clean power you provide, the more they shine.

I say stick with your 7 setup. I highly doubt you would hear a difference between the 83's and 7's. And if you did, it would probably be so subtle of a difference it would be hard to justify for the amount of money. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

I would probably agree the 7's are very close, or just as good. Then again, I have spent some time witht he 83's, too, and I like them also..

I think it is a toss up to personal choice too. The 83's might be a tad bit tamer, smoother... 7's more in your face speakers!!

Get a rsw 15 sub and have some thunderous bass too.

I think it is a toss up to personal choice too. The 83's might be a tad bit tamer, smoother... 7's more in your face speakers!!

That's my take too. It isn't an upgrade question but a personal flavor question.

btw i looked at your equipment signature and saw you use a reciever to power your setup. if you really want to hear a change in sound, i would suggest you spend your money on upgrading to separates. These are sensitive speakers but the more good, clean power you provide, the more they shine.

Ditto.

This could be the best upgrade you could make.

in my opinion the rf-7s are far superior speakers the 1.75 diameter tweeter alone kills the 83's just my taste thought and the bass wow,wow,wow

I would hope that the tweeter is smaller so it can move quicker.....

the rf-83 cone surface area of the 3 8 inch has more cone surface than two 10s surprisingly

16*pi*3 = 150.79 (RF 83)

25*pi*2 = 157..07 (RF-7)

I did make a mistake.... I remember now though I was talking to drwho, we discussed instead of cone surface, it was internal volume per cone surface which the rf-83 has more volume per cone surface.

in my opinion the rf-7s are far superior speakers the 1.75 diameter tweeter alone kills the 83's just my taste thought and the bass wow,wow,wow

I would hope that the tweeter is smaller so it can move quicker.....

the rf-83 cone surface area of the 3 8 inch has more cone surface than two 10s surprisingly

Smaller tweeter moves quicker...[:^)] So the RF-83 ha squicker uper registers! [:P] Now much quicker ?

If you want a REAL upgrade, send your crossovers to DeanG to tame those highs or upgrade your power amp or receiver. The RF-83's ROCK, but I would not think they are that much better than the RF-7's to justify the cost. Upgrade the crossover and, from what I hear, you will notice an immediate difference.