How many of us listen to VINYL as primary source?

Allan Songer

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rereading this old thread made me pull out that Coleman Hawkins Impulse LP--I'll bet I haven't palyed that one SINCE that post fou years ago. Man oh man--what a GIANT, what a GREAT record. As I once read, Hawkins' solos seem to be "carved out of granite."

Gary, buddy--has this been a great 4-year trip into jazz and vinyl OR WHAT?

Yup. Its been a life-changing experience. It's hard for me to imagine that just 4 years ago I'd never heard of Duke Pearson, Hank Mobley, Lee Morgan, Jackie McLean, Art Pepper, Benny Golson, Allan Songer, Scott McConnell, Craig Ostby and even Paul Parrot. What a long strange trip its been.[8]

100% vinyl for life! I've stocked up on cartridges (4) for the long haul.

Haven't brought any music for decades, last night decided to buy some NEW records - sealed.

Miles Davis - Four and More (180g Audiophile)

Sonny Rollins - Way Out West

From LPNOW online for $14 each.

Pauln

I listen to vinyl exclusively in my car.

Your carseats are talking to you?

Has to be his dashboard, his seats are leather.

CD's were made to replace Vinyl, not casette tapes.They used to throw CD's like frisbees, than put them in a player, and play them, industructable, Yeah right. I don't like vinyl, don't own vinyl anymore, nor will I ever buy vinyl again, but that doesn't mean others shouldn't enjoy the world of LP's. Most of the people in the vinyl camp on this forum have such great equipment,(Khorns, Lascala's, Cornwalls, and mega amps, Mac's, Crowns,etc., and WATTS to spare) No wonder LP'S sound so good. Thousands of dollars turntables, hundreds of dollars tonearms, tic and pop suppressers, vinyl should sound good. Record clamps, cleaning machines, alot of money to play OLD technology, that in the end, wears down everytime you use it.

In the end, what does it really matter what you listen to? CD's, Vinyl, Tapes, DVD's, it all contains the MUSIC, and the Music is what it is all about, isn't it? So whatever you listen to, ENJOY the music, however you chose to play it.

Doesn't anyone remember the quality issues with vinyl? Warped discs, holes not centered, surface noise, prices going higher, quality control levels low? I can't be alone on this.

Enjoy your LP's, I'll enjoy my CD's, and we all can enjoy the MUSIC!!!

"Doesn't anyone remember the quality issues with vinyl? Warped discs, holes not centered, surface noise, prices going higher, quality control levels low? I can't be alone on this."

Absolutely!!! In the dark days of the 70's and 80's vinyl was at its nadia in terms of quality - with a few notable exceptions and I think that that was a major factor in the early and rapid success of CD. The thing is that most of the vinyl we buy - the second hand stuff - are the records that have been kept and for one good reason - they were in good condition in the first place. Decent recordings, flat vinyl, properly centered and low noise.

Yes - there is still rubbish being sold in the market - but it tends to get weeded out by the sucker that bought them.

Over the last 4 or 5 years I have bought some 2000 records I would guess. About 100 of those have been thrown into the rubbish as they were totally trashed (from the days before I learned to test any record before purchase).

The rest vary in condition from near perfect to acceptable with just one or 2 historically interesting records that are really not actually playable anymore (Rachmaninoff playing Rachmaninoff for example - which I also have on CD - and it is also not really listenable to - for different reasons).

All of this is a long winded way of saying that in reality we are comparing CD to the best of vinyl. The bad stuff has long since been junked.

Price of course is another issue. Vinyl can be had very economically. I typically pay $1 to $6 per disk for second hand stuff. This is cheaper than CD and in fact has been a major financial justification for spending as much as I have done on the player. If I had bought all of this music on CD (ignoring the fact that much of it is simply not available) it would have cost considerably more - almost enough to pay for the TT - almost!!!

The final point is the life expectancy issue which comes up on these forums again and again. I would guess my most played disk is Pier Gynt. I have played it on average twice per week for 4 years. Still sounds fine to me (although I did buy it sealed - for $6). That is about 400 plays - I guess it has another 400 left in it. Still looks like value for money to me - especially when you consider that the vast majority of my stuff gets played a lot less than that. I expect most of my collection to out-live me in playable condition. CD may be harder to damage - but I wonder how many of your CD's will outlive you?

"Enjoy your LP's, I'll enjoy my CD's, and we all can enjoy the MUSIC!!!"

Agreed.

"Doesn't anyone remember the quality issues with vinyl? Warped discs, holes not centered, surface noise, prices going higher, quality control levels low? I can't be alone on this."

Absolutely!!! In the dark days of the 70's and 80's vinyl was at its nadia in terms of quality - with a few notable exceptions and I think that that was a major factor in the early and rapid success of CD. The thing is that most of the vinyl we buy - the second hand stuff - are the records that have been kept and for one good reason - they were in good condition in the first place. Decent recordings, flat vinyl, properly centered and low noise.

Yes - there is still rubbish being sold in the market - but it tends to get weeded out by the sucker that bought them.

Over the last 4 or 5 years I have bought some 2000 records I would guess. About 100 of those have been thrown into the rubbish as they were totally trashed (from the days before I learned to test any record before purchase).

The rest vary in condition from near perfect to acceptable with just one or 2 historically interesting records that are really not actually playable anymore (Rachmaninoff playing Rachmaninoff for example - which I also have on CD - and it is also not really listenable to - for different reasons).

All of this is a long winded way of saying that in reality we are comparing CD to the best of vinyl. The bad stuff has long since been junked.

Price of course is another issue. Vinyl can be had very economically. I typically pay $1 to $6 per disk for second hand stuff. This is cheaper than CD and in fact has been a major financial justification for spending as much as I have done on the player. If I had bought all of this music on CD (ignoring the fact that much of it is simply not available) it would have cost considerably more - almost enough to pay for the TT - almost!!!

The final point is the life expectancy issue which comes up on these forums again and again. I would guess my most played disk is Pier Gynt. I have played it on average twice per week for 4 years. Still sounds fine to me (although I did buy it sealed - for $6). That is about 400 plays - I guess it has another 400 left in it. Still looks like value for money to me - especially when you consider that the vast majority of my stuff gets played a lot less than that. I expect most of my collection to out-live me in playable condition. CD may be harder to damage - but I wonder how many of your CD's will outlive you?

"Enjoy your LP's, I'll enjoy my CD's, and we all can enjoy the MUSIC!!!"

Agreed.

I probably should not have jumped in on this. We both have our views on this subject, but I got the feeling this post was(is) heading towards a "what's better" type discussion, and I don't think that's what it was intended to do. Vinyl people like to listen to Vinyl, and that's great, that's the way it should be. The main point is to LISTEN to the music, what it's pressed on really doesn't matter. Music is the soundtrack of life, doesn't matter how you listen to it, as long as you hear it. Vinyl could be final.

Vinyl is my secondary source. I have around 500 LP's now. Most of them I paid no more than 50 cents. Lots were given to me. There's some great music out there that will never make it to CD. In relation to pops and crackles, I guess I'm lucky, but I've never had a problem with noise. In many cases I forget whether it's a CD or vinyl playing - I just enjoy the music.

You guys realize that vinyl has better frequency response than CDs - up to 50KHz. Although this can't be heard, it 's presence in the signal chain effects the sounds you do hear. The low frequencies are there, too - I have albums that state they go down to 16Hz - and these albums were cut in the late 50's!

Also, vinyl has a superior signal to noise ratio to CDs. This is due to the way the high frequencies are augmented before cutting and diminished by the phono preamp during playback.

Not bad for dragging a rock across plastic. At the molecular level vinyl is 40 bit. Anyone care to calculate the sampling frequency that is equivalent too? And how long it will take for that to be available on a digital source?

Pauln

You guys realize that vinyl has better frequency response than CDs - up to 50KHz. Although this can't be heard, it 's presence in the signal chain effects the sounds you do hear. The low frequencies are there, too - I have albums that state they go down to 16Hz - and these albums were cut in the late 50's!

Also, vinyl has a superior signal to noise ratio to CDs. This is due to the way the high frequencies are augmented before cutting and diminished by the phono preamp during playback.

Not bad for dragging a rock across plastic. At the molecular level vinyl is 40 bit. Anyone care to calculate the sampling frequency that is equivalent too? And how long it will take for that to be available on a digital source?

Pauln

I'm a CD guy but this makes sense. Remember the first digital cameras? They had terrible resolution and could not compare to 35 mm cameras. Digital cameras finally caught up. CD's appear to be froozen in time with the resolution that they had in the 80's.

I have a Denon DP37 TT. I was thinking about buying a Shure M97xe cartrige to try out with a Sony digital receiver that I just bought for HT use. Am I just wasting my time?

Chris

I have a Denon DP37 TT. I was thinking about buying a Shure M97xe cartrige to try out with a Sony digital receiver that I just bought for HT use. Am I just wasting my time?

Chris

Go for it. Shure make nice cartridges. Even if you have vinyl as a secondary source, having a turntable is great - it brings the fun back into audio. It opens up the door to the incredible wealth of vinyl LP's available from thrift shops, garage sales etc., expecially for the music enthusiast who wants to get into classical. For next to no money you can try composers or music you've never heard of. If you don't like it - who cares, give the record away to someone else. If you like it - you've struck gold. [<:o)]