Looking for a dbx decoder

The 128 is a single (one) band expander and Type II decoder in a single chassis. If all you need is the decoding ability a 21, NX-40, 122, 124, 224, 224X, 224X-DS will all do what you want. The 224X-DS was the final and best version of the old DBX consumer group's Type II encode/decode units.

DBX also made a single ended noise reduction unit (the SNR-1) that did not require the encode/decode deal. It could eliminate up to 40db of hiss and background noise without adversely affecting the high frequencies.

DBX 3BX units are readily available in all flavors on eBay from the original 3BX to the 3BX-II, 3BX-III, and the final model the 3BX-DS the 3BX-DS is the best of the bunch the processing is smooth and clean and does not sound harsh or edgy when run at higher threshold levels like it's predecessors. The "DS" models have been selling on the high side lately.

I have .pdf copies of some of the user manuals if you want to read up a little.

Shame DBX consumer is no longer around they designed and built some awesome and very durable products.

Hey, Freezin, question whilst we have your attention. I purchased a 4BX a while back and really like it, but could use a manual. I am also curious if I could locate someone who has one with remote if I could send a 'learning remote" to them and get the codes. This one didn't have the remote and it would certainly be nice.

I believe DBX could make a few bucks today as many getting into phono don't have the bias from back in the day. Having used DBX all the way back to the 117 in the 70's I would no more listen without dynamic restoration than I would without RIAA.

I was SLIGHTLY disappointed with impact restoration. While it does a great job on records in good shape, it's algorithm doesn't seem good enough to tell an impulse noise from signal and can sound pretty bad on records with a few scratches.

OTOH, some of my 78's that are in good shape sound downright startling with a judicious setting applied.

Dave

Dave,

The 4BX is basically a remote controllable version of the 3BX-III, I will see if I have a .pdf copy of the user manual. If I don't I know a guy that can supply you one and clone you a remote as well. His name is Jim Gammel - email jamesgammel@yahoo.com he sells the hard copy user manuals that are done on the identical weight, color and grade of paper as the originals. He asks like $10 for them, he does the remote clones for like $30 or so I think. He is damn good at it.

The 4BX only has a single band of Impact Restoration, if you want better Impact Restoration try the 3BX-DS it has three independent bands of impact restoration and has an ambience circuit that will allow you to narrow or widen the soundstage by subtracting L from R and R from L depending on how the knob is turned. It is great for taking the edge off some digital recordings. The "DS" Digital Series models were geared with CD's in mind. The absolute best unit they made that was never offered in the USA was the 5BX-DS a true 5-Band Dynamic Range Controller with 5 Independently controllable bands of Impact Restoration. A recording studio's dream if they knew about them, it can also be controlled remotely. Only about 2000 were ever produced.

I attached the release notes done up by John Aldaz as his marketing company bought up the last of the 5BX-DS's shortly after the DBX Consumer groups untimely demise in 1989-1990.

Here is a copy of the DBX 3BX-DS User Manual. There is a very rare DBX 5BX up for auction on eBay right now, they don't go cheap since they are rare as hell and more at home in a studio than someone's living room with all the capabilities they have. I have owned a number of them and they sound as nice as they look. I have seen average ones with no remote sell for $1K, the best part is if you don't like it you will have no trouble re-selling it.

I have an original 3BX that I bought new in 1978 while stationed in Hessisch Oldendorf, Germany. For the last 20 years or so it has a problem where after it warms up (10 minutes or so) all of the red lights lite up on the Gain Changed LED's, and all of the highs, mids and lows are expanded 100%. So basically, I get about 10 good minutes of listening and that's it.

Any ideas? Anyone know who might be able to fix it? I know they can be had used for $50 or so, but this one is kind of special to me since I have owned it for 30 years and it is absolutely mint cosmetically.

Mike

I have a 224X, 400X and 3DBX III with original manuals but have misplaced the rack mounts. Boxes are gone finally got tired of moving them. All one owner and currently working in a system. I was planning on putting all my excess equipment up for sale but never did the research or took the time to get organized enough to do it. I would sell rather sell thru this forum then the "bay". Don't want to violate any rules here so....

Mike,

DBX did all of their service work at there home depot (orginally in MA, then CA), there were no satellite repair shops. So that is why there are no parts or documentation available or it it really tough to find. That said the only place that I am aware of that can effectively service the older DBX gear is Musician's Service Center in San Jose, CA they have a website http://www.musicianservice.com call Thang Ho and tell him Charles sent you. I don't think that they charge anything for providing you an estimate for repair. They bought the remnants of the old DBX company from The Soundwell in Berkely, CA shortly after they acquired it from DBX and they do have some parts and documentation available.

I have a 224X, 400X and 3DBX III with original manuals but have misplaced the rack mounts. Boxes are gone finally got tired of moving them. All one owner and currently working in a system. I was planning on putting all my excess equipment up for sale but never did the research or took the time to get organized enough to do it. I would sell rather sell thru this forum then the "bay". Don't want to violate any rules here so....

It is perfectly fine to offer items for sale here, I would be interested in the 3BX-III if the price is right. Don't really have an immediate use for the 400X Program Route Selector or the 224X Type II Noise Reduction unit. You can PM or Email me if you like.

Mike,

Here is a copy of the 3BX Service Manual for you if you have some competent Electronic Service centers in your area or know a competent electronics technician they may be able to diagnose the problem and fix it for you locally. Provided that the parts that require replacing are not DBX proprietary components.

MSC has a good amount of experience with the older DBX products that is why I recommend them. I have an original 3BX that I recently acquired, I had never owned the original version and I like it alot. It has a nice smooth processing style to it most likely due to all discrete components.

I've sent James an email. I'd love to have a remote.

Looked at the pdf on the 5BX. I suppose I'll have to have one some day. The guy didn't seem to think much of the 4BX, but since I really liked even the lowly 117 I suppose I can live with it awhile.

Dave

He of course had to bad mouth it, he was after all trying to sell off his stock of 5BX units. The 4BX is a nice machine as long as you keep the expansions below 30% and the threshold levels reasonable otherwise it can get a bit harsh and edgy. It excels with vinyl which is what it was designed to do. You can tweek the release rates and high frequency transition levels with the small gain pots on the back that may help you sensitivity problem with the impact restoration circuit picking up transients.

Mike,

Here is a copy of the 3BX Service Manual for you if you have some competent Electronic Service centers in your area or know a competent electronics technician they may be able to diagnose the problem and fix it for you locally. Provided that the parts that require replacing are not DBX proprietary components.

MSC has a good amount of experience with the older DBX products that is why I recommend them. I have an original 3BX that I recently acquired, I had never owned the original version and I like it alot. It has a nice smooth processing style to it most likely due to all discrete components.

Thanks, Charles! I have the original manual and the original box also. I loved this thing from 1978 - 1982, and it got a lot of use on all my vinyl (along with an SAE 500 NR unit). I slowed down with vinyl in the mid 80's about the same time the 3BX went south on me, but I have been yearning to see what it can do again with alot of my older poorly recorded rock albums.

I would love to get this one fixed since I have a history with it, but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg on it. I also love the look of the original 3BX over all the predecessors. It truly is built like a tank. If I recall they were retailing for $750 back in 1978 and I paid $550 for mine, which was a fair piece of change then. My Dual Turntable (with Shure V15VIII) was only $375 in comparison.

Mike

PS... MSC is closed until early July.

Generally I tweak my vinyl expansion just until the groove noise disappears. That's usually more than enough expansion on classical. Thanks for the tip on the rear adjusts. I haven't diddled with them.

I've never used it on digital sources, as in most cases I find them either well recorded and fine as they come, or not fixable. I MIGHT rethink this attitude as it stems entirely from my view of phono as a compressed medium and digital as not, therefore not a target for DBX.

What all uses do you put it to? Maybe I could use some eye opening...

Dave

Here is a copy of the DBX 3BX-DS User Manual. There is a very rare DBX 5BX up for auction on eBay right now, they don't go cheap since they are rare as hell and more at home in a studio than someone's living room with all the capabilities they have. I have owned a number of them and they sound as nice as they look. I have seen average ones with no remote sell for $1K, the best part is if you don't like it you will have no trouble re-selling it.

Thanks. I am pretty sure that I have the original manual at hoem for my 3BX-DS, but it is nice to have a PDF.