Forte II replacement???

krusty239

My wonderful Forte II's were destroyed in a flood. Insurance will pay full replacement value for like kind and quality. I paid about $1200 for them in 1991. Any suggestions on what to replace them with? I've considered Ebay to find a set of replacements but am not sure I'm comfortable buying 'used' speakers. I babied mine right up until the pipe burst and dumped 22,000 gallons of water on them (and my plasma TV)... Thanks for the suggestions!

Krusty

Welcome to the forum. Too bad about your Forte II's and everything else in the flood.

You've got a most interesting question ahead of you to determine your replacement. The Forte II's are fabulous speakers. The biggest trouble with Ebay sellers on items like big floor standing speakers is shipping. Shipping is costly and few sellers are competent in their packing. If you can find speakers within decent driving distance is a huge help. Good luck.

Sad to say, there isn't anything in that category available, unless you'd consider the new Heresy III.

Best bet is to stick around here. I'd bet these guys could fix you up with a little patience. They tend to do good things on a regular basis.

Where are you located? We'd want to find you a pair within driving distance to avoid the gorillas.

Michael

I would call a public library and ask fro the Government and Business Dept. There see what the Consumer Price Index is from the month you bought your speakers to now. Then take what the insurance company gives you and throw in some extra cash and buy a pair of Cornwall III's.

O.k, I just got off line from the web where they say CPI from 1991 till now is ~136.0 (or 36% higher now than what it was). So the adjusted price should be $1,632.00. Then take into account that the insurance company may pro-rate their value.

Thanks for the good words. I lost the speakers when a pipe froze and burst in my house in Birghton, Michigan. I currently am residing in Tampa, Florida and travel the I-75 corridor fairly regularly. I'll check Ebay and investigate the Cornwall III's.

Mr. Krustovski:

Fortes are auctioned quite often on
Ebay. They were popular speakers, which means that many owners not
fully committed to them are now selling them to downsize, or they got
married, or whatever. My experience is that anywhere from 3 to 10 pair
are being auctioned in any given month, usually oak or walnut,
sometimes black, and sell for $400-$600. Also check Audiogon.com, not
an auction but an audio gear classified site with feedback like Ebay.
Whatever you do, don't have them shipped. We have heard too many horror
stories here about inadequate Mailboxes Etc styrofoam peanut packing,
and the buyer receives a box of kindling. A speaker as classic and
valuable as a Forte is worth a one or two day roadtrip to pick up in
person. For an insurance replacement cost settlement, you could buy two
pair, and if you find an Academy center, you have an unbeatable home
theater system.

• Moderators

We purchased two pairs of Forte IIs and paid $450.00 for one pair and $475.00 for the other pair. Both pair were in very good condition and within three to four hours (one way) from our home. Buying close to home works well, even on EBay. You can arrange payment with the buyer by picking the speakers up, this will give you a chance to listen to the speakers before payment.

We are very happy with the Forte IIs we have purchased. I am sure if you take your time you can find a pair that will make you [:D].

• 4 weeks later...

I have seen several pairs on eBay, I watch them to see what they are selling for.. I have a nice pair myself and have no desire to sell them.. If I did upgrade it would be to a pair of Chorus IIs... When you buy on eBay you can ask a seller if he will be willing to use an escrow system. Escrow allows you to inspect the speakers before you release the funds to the seller.... you will have to deal with enormous shipping costs if you get a bad pair...If you do purchase a pair ask the seller to remove the bases of both speakers and ship them separately..

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Hey Sambo dude Welcome to the forum there are many good people here who could help you find what your looking for.

One thing you need to watch is when searching thru post be sure to check the date, that was posted over 2 years ago.

I have some Forte ll's also, great speaker I will never get rid of mine even though I have bigger and better speakers, in my opinion.

Also it helps if you put where your from ( not to personal ) under your name. The way it works around here is if someone would hear of something in your area for sale they could let you know, if they know your area ! Look at mine you don't have to be really specific, especially if your in witness protection or hiding from X wives or something ! [:o] [;)]

Why thanks fir the welcome, My FII's were built on the 198th day of 1996 accordning to the serial numbes and I love 'em. The HII's I recently acquired for $250 (bad economy, good price for speakers) are ok, they are kind of uneccessary, the FII's do a gret job in my 12 x 8 x 8 room. I'll fill out my profile more thouroughly. For any Heresy I, II, or III, you need a subwoofer. Forthe FII's you have soli, visceral bass down to 32 hz.

I have already received advice I didn't ask for, so thanks to all.

23 years of US Naval service, what is left to do but perfect my Combat SAMBO and to teach the next generation. If you don't know exactly what Combat SAMBO is, wiki it, the description does is good. OK, so I have to enlarge my movie, music and video game collections.

Thanks,

CSG