New Cornwall Owner!!!!!!

gigbyt

Well i finally found a pair of Corwalls.

got them locally from a member here Snilsen13/ref. this thread, http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/916560.aspx

i traded him some cash and my Heresy's that i bought about a year ago.

Steve is a great guy and made me and my buddy feel right at home. What was great is that he let us listen to his Cornies thru a tube amp(which i had never had the pleasure of experiencing) and a ss amp. He also a/b'd his Corwalls with my heresy's with tube amplification and we listened to all four at the same time also.

I got to say that i did not know how good my Heresys could sound with the tube amplification versus Home theater receiver.

the more i listened to them with the tube amp and different music played (rock,jazz, irish and others) the more i wasnt so sure i wanted to part with them!!

My Buddy actually preferred the Heresy's over the Corwalls, although some of his decision had to do with the size difference as he is not so partial to the Cornwalls dimensions.

But the more we listened i almost talked myself out of buying the Cornies!

Don't get me wrong i love the sound of the Cornies, i was just amazed at how good my little heresy could sound with proper ampflification.

I have listened to the heresy's thru a crown k2 amp i had recently and they did sound much better(bass cleaner and more impactful)

but the tube amp sound was so much better to my ears. I also heard noticable difference between the crites tweeters in the Corwall vs the klipsch tweeter in the Heresy. to me crites twweters sounded better, smoother and more extended.

So,reluctantly i parted with my heresy's and brought the Corwalls home. Now ive got to find a decent tube amp for 2 channel listening, i'll probably start with a scott

and work my up from there. any suggestions on amp choice would be appreciated.

I think i have to help my buddy find a pair of Heresy's now, LOL.

Actually i may need another pair of heresy to do rear surround in my home theater i think that it would sound incredible with the Corns up front.

I'd like to thank Snilsen13 (steve) for a great time with the auditioning of the tube amps and also like to add that his Corwalls look much better in person, the pics he sent me did not do them justice at all, the cabinets are in very good shape.

Isnt this a great Hobby and Forum!

Thanks for the kind words Joe. Indeed, the ''78 Heresys sounded almost as good as the '77 Cornwalls, but were not as open and natural sounding when vocals/instruments that relied on the woofer. However, that's just what Cornwalls do best, right? I've got to say that the Heresys are as easy as pie to position for a surprisingly clear image. I also like that their blond stain matches one of my LP cabinets. Moving to a smaller place won't be so bad now, but I will be looking for some larger cabs again, someday.

Regarding our A/B: the Heresys were on the floor pointing directly into the thick futon couch (no upward tilt), while the Cornwalls stood behind them on the wall. Both were driven by amplification that mates very well with Cornwalls: either a passive into 3W SET (Cornwalls here) or a 6DJ8-tubed preamp into class A SS (Heresys here) and both used the same analog source. I won't defend the science, but I think this pairing gave us a fair idea.

BTW, I could easily hear the treble extension the Crites tweeter in the Cornwalls had over the stock K77 in the Heresys. They didn't take anything away from the few recordings with real timber extension we sampled either, which were Miles Davis "Cooking" and the famous Brazilian, Joyce "Femenina". Well worth a listen if you can.

Well i've been listening to my new cornwalls for a few days now thru my sony db-830 receiver.

now this receiveer did not do justice to my old heresy's and after hearing the tube amps at snilsen13's house i know

these cornies can sound better too. i've also been looking at vintage ss receivers.

does anybody have any experience with the yamaha r1000 receiver, i can get one pretty cheap(50.00) to try it out.

i've also been looking at Marantz, Pioneer, Hk. on e-pay.

My biggest problem is i like home theater as well and have been thinking of buying a 5-7 channel amp that would maybe make the Cornwalls sing for music and movies. like a parasound 1205a or rotel rmb-1705, ati 1505. i'd hate to have to keep switching the wires back and forth for 2-channel and home theater listening.

Any Ideas?

thanx.

Not sure what your budget is. The R-1000 Yammie is a late model,
with ICs in it as I recall and poorer quality than the CR line, but for
$50...

If you are trying to keep costs low right now (saving up for tubes),
look at a H/K 330c (or 430) or a Sherwood 7100A (or 7200). A Marantz
2200 series will have a nice warm sound that can do good by Cornwalls.

My biggest problem is i like home theater as well and have been thinking of buying a 5-7 channel amp that would maybe make the Cornwalls sing for music and movies. like a parasound 1205a or rotel rmb-1705, ati 1505. i'd hate to have to keep switching the wires back and forth for 2-channel and home theater listening.

Yeah, do you tech savvy guys have a work around? When my Marantz 2245 gets out of the shop I want to try it for 2 channel which will use the front 2 speakers of my multi-channel dvd system. I know this Marantz will be smoother than my Outlaw or H/K processors.

Instead of an all-in-one box, buy separate amplifiers. For home theater, you have to try the Tripath amp design, after using class AB, class A, SET and PP, I still can't think of a better amp for HT than tripath-chip platform amps (I tried the cheap Sonic Impact and the slightly better, but discontinued, TEAC). Vocals were sooo present, there was no lack of bass or treble, and the only reason they failed me is that they didn't synergize well with my analog front end. Guess what though, I plan to get one for my office and the speakers you traded me, where my front end will be digital and I want their dark and dry sound, which isn't the least bit fatiguing. Specifically on your pair of Cornwalls, and I should know. They don't require a preamp, they have volume controls on them, and you can buy good ones for $100... DVD/CD player > amps > speakers. Clean, simple, easy, great sound. Oh, you want remote volume control? Well, that comes when you can afford a good HT pre-amp. There may even be a 5-channel tripath-based HT receiver out there within your price range.

Bottom line. In the realm of CD sound, where a decent detail and a stable image is inexpensively obtained, you must strongly consider the chip amps.

-Steven

• 2 weeks later...

The Journey continues....

I picked up a hk 330c in great condition on e-pay for 16.45!!

And I now have become TUBED!!!!!

I also picked up a SCOTT 299A on the bay.

Can't wait for new toys to arrive.

Will Probably have a few questions on how to operate the SCOTT.

Now i need to find a record player so my wife can listen to her old records.

The Cornwalls continue to delight every day.[:D]

The Journey continues....

I picked up a hk 330c in great condition on e-pay for 16.45!!

And I now have become TUBED!!!!!

I also picked up a SCOTT 299A on the bay.

Can't wait for new toys to arrive.

Will Probably have a few questions on how to operate the SCOTT.

Now i need to find a record player so my wife can listen to her old records.

The Cornwalls continue to delight every day.[:D]

Congrats! What did you have in mind for a TT?

Larry