chest thumping

martindemon

A weird question.

Can chest thumping due to bass be dangerous?

If so, what's the limit?

Why do i ask?

I was seeking the good spot for my sub (only a frx-s15, 300W rms). I found a good one ; not too loud (not boomy) on the sweet spot and not localisable. I was trying music (10th track on the new CD of POD) and i just walked near the adjacent corner of the corner where my sub is. I received shockwaves! When i put myself at 6 inch from the corner, the bass was the best i EVER felt! I've gone to shows (Metallica, Slayer, Faith no more, guns'n roses...) and in my corner, it was better!! It's like the vibrations resonate and are directed right in there, like a magnifying structure for the sound. It's a shame i cannot obtain this on my sweet spot! Now i have 3 sweet spots :

1) in the center for best imaging, soundstage, best overall sound

2) near the rear left corner for floor vibrating tremor bass

3) in this left rear corner for incredible chest thumping.

That brings a question. What's the limit pressure a body can take before something (i don't know what) dangerous occurs? I did not measure the SPL it gives

in that corner but my vision was blurry... (i have glasses) I find that it's like a drug... bass. But does it have effects on health? I noticed that my pulse accelerated. Perhaps that an andorphin rush... Is there a doctor in the room? cwm3.gif

------------------

If it's not broken, don't fix it.

the first and most obvious danger is the dB level. That can damage your hearing at around 115dB, though it really depends on teh frequency...

now, if you are talking about low bass, like in the 20's and lower 30's at loud volumes where it shakes your insides... that too can be dangerous, not just to your hearing but to your heart and equilibrium. first off the pounding can put what i will just call pressure on your heart, like someone doing chest compressions... not good if you do not need CPR at the time Smile.gif it can make your nausiated from teh extreme pounding through your body, especially your ears, if you stand infront of a large speaker and let it pound you, you can loose balance and coordination, in my cases at least. i do not think that there is any long term damage besides the obvious hearing loss. it is never a good idea to stress your heart but i do not think that you will get concert levels from your speakers, the kind that cause the heart stress i am talking about.

this is all just from observation... i will look for some medical article on it for you though... this has no real factual basis so take it with a grain of salt, and then throw it to the wind! Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

It can also make you poo.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

Seriously, have you never heard that even the US military experimented with super low frequencies to induce uncontrollable bowel movements on the enemy? I am really NOT making this up. I think it was in the neighborhood of 8hz @ 140db. Sometimes when I listen to Lustmord I get a dirt road in my draws. Never a full-fledged Hershey-squirt though.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Hey Synthfreek, can you give me some references

for Lustmord?

I've heard a pair F15's or 18's or whatever,

Take off together with the backburners on,

from about 150 yards or so.

The low frequencys thumped off my chest, but I didn't feel like shittin' my pants though.

The high frequencys just hurt your ears!

Look at these :

About sound weapons :

http://www.acoustics.org/press/137th/altmann.html

http://carlisle-www.army.mil/usawc/Parameters/96autumn/stanton.htm

About sonic bullets :

http://www.earthear.com/recentsoundings.html

And this :

The Sound of Disaster

Low-frequency sound waves can have some rather nasty physical effects on people, including disorientation, bowel spasms, and loss of balance. Los Alamos National Laboratory in Los Alamos, New Mexico, and Scientific Applications and Research Associates in Huntington Beach, California, are working on generators that emit high-power, low-frequency acoustic beams; the beams can travel over long distances and overpower ambient noise. The debilitating effects of the beams cease as soon as the generators are turned off.

Among the problems facing researchers investigating this technology is how to target and focus the waves so that they don't incapacitate everyone in the vicinity.

All other details remain classified.

taken from: http://www.omnimag.com/archives/features/nonlethal/shopping.html

I really think that the Us army can transform almost anything to a weapon...

------------------

From my experience in my many years of working at music shops Lustmord is the best reference material I've ever heard for low frequencies. Check out lustmord.com for a history lesson. Brian Williams has been making great stuff since his album Heresey(wow, just realized he must be a Klipsch fan). His stuff before that is just a bit too harsh for my taste. He records volcanic plates, underground chasms, caverns & all sorts of natural earth sounds and processes them. The albums I like alot are: Stalker-a pairing up with Robert Rich on Fathom(a Hearts of Space sub-label), Metavoid-his newest, The Monstrous Soul-some of the most evil sounding stuff ever-great for Halloween & The Place Where the Black Stars Hang-voted best ambient album ever in Interface magazine if I remember right. If you've ever heard of the soundtrack composer Graeme Revell this Lustmord guy actually "collects" his sounds he uses. As far as a description goes this is some DARK ambient electronic music in the vein of newer Steve Roach or Thomas Koner. Great for some major chillin' with headphones. I've mentioned his name every time I've recommended refernce discs but noone cares. They'd rather get a f*@king Billy Joel re-issue! What is up with that?

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

quote:

Originally posted by synthfreek:

Sometimes when I listen to Lustmord I get a dirt road in my draws. Never a full-fledged Hershey-squirt though.

This just may be the funniest thing I have ever read on this board. I'm still lmao! Biggrin.gif

Mike

BTW, you really got it in for Roy, don't you? Smile.gif

------------------

My Music Systems

I didn't read those papers that martindemon posted, so perhaps I'm restating what has already been said.

This from the here-say mill:

I too have heard that 8hz can make you throw-up (never heard about the poo thing, but that is a funny way to phrase it). I've also heard that 7hz can stop a human heart from beating. I assume there is some minimum level of SPL associated with these events.

Apparently, truckers and long distance drivers can suffer all sorts of maladies that may be just as related to ultra low frequency vibrations as it does to inertia and sedentary lifestyle. Vehicles set up a low five Hz vibration that wiggles our guts around inside and stresses their ligatures and walls. GM? is apparently working on a device to counter such low frequency vibration, presumably for their Cadillac land cruising yachts

"It can also make you poo."

cwm27.gif

Yes it helps!

Right now my two systems can generate so much bass energy most will poo and get cwm3.gif

I should s my doc if four SVS SS are still recomended as an add on to get more bass! cwm5.gif

My next goal 140dB at 20Hz,my 120dB goal at 20Hz will be atained in 2002.I better get my hearing aids fast,I heard SVS will sell SVS Ultra Micro SS subaids!

TheEAR(s) Now theears

But with 140db of bass, i wonder ; you can protect your ears from the violent bass (to be able to feel it real strong without losing hearing) but with a so strong bass, ... I mean, the bass will pass through your body ; you cannot escape ; everybody near you will be doomed to hear (and poo). But, reading what i could on the subject, i think that 15-100 Hz is not dangerous to humans ; only sub bass like 7-8 Hz. (but 140db of bass? cwm3.gifcwm3.gif

I don't know...)

Good luck with your bass quest and tell us what happens... to your house, walls, windows,... neighbors... And if the police show up, tell them you need to finish your renovations quick (keep a hammer and nails near.)

------------------