Three Out Of Seven The Heritage Wall Of Sound Here I Come

rmlowz

Hello to my forum friends,

Due to my busy life I have not been in my theater in a long time (months). In the last week I was able to spend some time also with forum member jbsl enjoying my new 2007 LaScalas. They put a big smile on my face every time I listen to them. Then one day I fired up the projector and was playing with certain demos. I thought and wondered what the LaScala would sound like if I let it do center channel duty. I pulled out the rack and connected the one LaScala for the center and put on a movie with a lot of vocals in the center WOW.I was completly amazed on the clarity and dynamics. It really filled the room. The THX 650 is a very good center but the LaScala just sounded better. I just had to order a black ash LaScala for the center. I will put the 4 650s in the back and the 3 La Scalas in the front. with the Danley DTS20 in the front and the 2 THX Ultras in the back center wall for the subs. This I hope will be a upgrade from the 3 650s in the front. I also have a pair of KS-525 but on most days I like the 650s in the back. I am half there to a Heritage home theater. What do my forum friends think if I got 4 Heresy III for the back instead of the 650s.Would I really here an improvement? I set 7 feet from the side and back surounds. I dont know, I might have to ask Santa Clause for some Heresy IIIs for Christmas.

rmlowz

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RMLOWZ.. heheheheheheeh I am your man here.... You said "It really filled the room. The THX 650 is a very good center but the LaScala just sounded better."

hehehehe I know.. I almost did the full THX package.. If you love the K horn or La Scalas big ole horn sound.. You will never be happy with anything else.. You can take that to your Klipsch sound experience soul....

Ok do this.. 3 la scalas in the front..

You can use the 525's, even with your seating position to about 20 degrees behind you for side duty...

Try the 650's for your back surrounds... Or go nuts and use 2 to 4 heresey speakers for your backs... HOME RUN!!! I use 4 la Scalas for the rears...FYI

Keep the THX 120 Subs witht he KA 1000 amp too! And for heavens sake.... Move the subs up front, so you can play them with music too. That THX system KSW 120's (2) and the THX KA 1000 sub amp + La Scalas is heaven! I do not care what most people say MOVE EM UP FRONT>> not quite as critical where.. But I can alsways tell. Unless it is right next to you in a very controlled atmosphere.. (picky's theater) you will always hear it IMO.

Read my system below... You will see I practice what I preach!

Hello forum friends,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been down the Khorn as fronts road. My room is 15x18x8. The Khorns were on the short wall thats the only way I could design the theater. Anyways the Khorns did not do as well as the LaScalas on the shortwall in my opinion. 7 LaScalas? Its not the money part. I think they are to big and would be to close to the listening position to give the horns what they need to sound good? We will see who knows some day I might just order 4 more. I am still thinking on 4 Heresy IIIs or 4 Cornwalls would fit better. What I really was wondering was the upgrade path to the Heritage also in the back. Would it sound better than the 650s? Time will tell. It is a four seat theater. Sometimes I think I need to find a different hobby why am I always trying to improve and never happy with what I have.

rmlowz

Some how I missed the Danley sound labs DTS-20 sub... WOW>> That looks pretty impressive! What are your thoughts on it? Do you have one or two of these? they might also come in as colums if needed to separate the room some.. hahahahaha Wow those are BIG!

DTS-20

125 db

95db

18 Hz - 60 Hz

1,000 W

88 x 18 x 20 in.

206 lbs

I know the THX Klipsch ksw 120 subs with the KA 1000 amp is a match with the La Scalas made in heaven... [:D]

KW-120-THX Specifications

frequency response

20-200Hz ±3dB

power handling

See KA-1000-THX specifications

sensitivity

130dB @ 30Hz, 122dB @ 20Hz, 112dB @ 15Hz 1/8 space, 1m (2 enclosures side-by-side per THX Ultra2)

nominal impedance

8 ohms

woofer

12" (30.5cm) front-firing, Cermetallic cone, cast aluminum frame driver with a 240oz ceramic magnet structure

amplifier

Use only with KA-1000-THX

enclosure material

MDF

enclosure type

Bass reflex via front-firing slot port

dimensions

20.25" (51.4cm) H x 17.75" (45.1cm) W x 17.75" (45.1cm) D (w/ grille)

weight

80 lbs. (36.3kg)

finishes

Galaxy Black cabinet with Black anodized aluminum fascia

built from

My vote is for the four Cornwalls, that would be sick! With three La Scala's in the front and the 4 Corns hammering you from behind not much can come close to that.

My room is not much bigger like 18 x 18 with 9 ft ceilings and I have the speakers on the long wall. I am in an apartment for now though I will have the arrangement in a larger room at some point but it sounds killer and the Velodyne's are unreal for true subsonic bass response.

Hello,

The Danley is in a whole different league than any thing I have ever owned. It will shake, rattle, feel it in your chest, you name it, move shirt sleeves and pant legs. It will pressurize my room with ease. Many other forum members own them as well. I also have a JL fathom 113 that blends very well with the LaScalas coming out of my Rogue Tempest II integrated. I have owned several DD series Velodynes. I can not tell the differance in my room between the F113 and a DD18. I just sold the DD18 for that reason. Cornwalls in the back sounds very tempting.

rmlowz

"Many other forum members own them as well."

Really.. Your the first I know of. At that price $$$$ for the Danley sub, + an amp + cross over + I assume special cables??

Why did you need the THX subs? Or did they come with the THX deal? Your still missing some info from where the Danley's go to say 60 and you need em to go to 80 Htz? (THX specs) at least? Do you feel u miss it too?

I have 2004 La Scalas so it was interesting to hear the LS IIs.

The LS II sounded very smooth but also with the usual LS detail, clairity, and can play loud! NICE VERY NICE!!!

It is hard to do a comparison since he has a tube int amp and I use a SS preamp with a tube amp.

So my system is a bit brighter sounding and his has a smoother or laid back sound to it.

I would like to try my speakers with his int amp and cd player just to do a real comparison.

He already has a great HT system but once he gets the center LS II he will have a incredible system!!

Thanks for having me over I enjoyed it very much!!

"Many other forum members own them as well."

Really.. Your the first I know of.

I believe Chris Robinson has one. Unfortunately when I was at his house in Hilton Head, there was an issue in the system and the sub wasn't working. Chris btw, bought Greg's refinished Rosewood Khorns. Was a sweet setup!

Hello forum friends,

To jbsl, some day soon bring your amp and cd player over I would like to here it also. IndyKlipschfan I don't understand what you mean about the missing frequencies. I set the AV9 to 80 and everything under that goes to the subs? I also have a SMS1 that I use to calibrate the room and speakers. Why do I need the Ultras? This is my second THX Ulta II system. I would not want to own the system without them. They are the very best that Klipsch has ever made IMHO. I am a suboholic I can't just have one, it is a very bad disease ha ha. I enjoy having multiple subs trying new things. This year so far I have had a Def Tech Trinity, DD18 and the JLf113. I bought the Danley last year. Forum member Soundood recommended the Klipsch Ultra amp for the Danley so I got another one for the Danley it works very well. One thing that I have found in my room is that I like how the bass sounds having one sub or subs up front and one or more on the back wall. It is hard to explain but it just sounds better. I also had Auralex design the room for treatment and I installed where they told me to place everything. Believe me room treatments make a big differance.

rmlowz

Hello,

I ordered the 3rd LaScala on 7-06-07. I was told the normal 6 to 8 weeks build to order I was prepared to wait no problem. I received my one pair in 6 weeks. I called Klipsch yesterday to get a build week the same thing I did when I ordered the other pair. Much to my surprise they told me it shipped and give me a tracking number !! Klipsch must have had one from a split pair or something. Fed Ex Freight delivered it yesterday. The Klipsch Heritage home theater (half of one) is going to be installed tonight. I can hardly wait.

Take Care,

rmlowz

Hello forum friends,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been down the Khorn as fronts road. My room is 15x18x8. The Khorns were on the short wall thats the only way I could design the theater. Anyways the Khorns did not do as well as the LaScalas on the shortwall in my opinion. 7 LaScalas? Its not the money part. I think they are to big and would be to close to the listening position to give the horns what they need to sound good? We will see who knows some day I might just order 4 more. I am still thinking on 4 Heresy IIIs or 4 Cornwalls would fit better. What I really was wondering was the upgrade path to the Heritage also in the back. Would it sound better than the 650s? Time will tell. It is a four seat theater. Sometimes I think I need to find a different hobby why am I always trying to improve and never happy with what I have.

rmlowz

You are always trying to improve just as many of us in here because the chase (or journey) is part of the fun and excitement. I guess the question of whether Heritage in the rear would sound that much better in part depends on your listening/viewing preferences. I've found that having large Heritage in the rear help for concert/music DVDs and for SACD or DVD-Audio. Additionally, there is no substitution for cubic inches. I can relate to your concerns about size matching with the LaScalas, because I had to incorporate Fortes in my system as side surrounds to make everything fit. But, my adage is that more large Heritage - the better in the system.

Congrats on the third LaScala. Having the big three across the front is top notch!

Carl.

Thanks Carl for your advise and opinion. You are right the chase is part of the fun! We will see, right now I am thinking on 2 Cornwalls for the side surrounds and 2 Heresey III for the rears. My hobby fund is getting low I might need to wait. Honestly I have never been a real 7.1 fan. Most of the time 5.1 sounds more seperated and discrete IMHO. I might just forget about the 2 backs and go 5.1 maybe even two more LaScalas. I am going to have the 4 650s in the back and watch some movies and see how I like it. I have never done this before having a unmatched system.

Take Care,

rmlowz