Quartets question

vjboxer

I'm new to this forum and have learned much in the short time here but it leaves me with more questions.

I have a question about the Quartets, model # QUR WO. I found a pair for sell, the asking price is $550 and I was told that they are in great condition. Is that a decent price? What can you tell me about those speakers?

How do you compare the different series of speakers? Like the RF vs the Quartets vs the Heresy, etc.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Quartets are excellent speakers when spaced and placed properly. Many have referred to them as Heresys with bass. Having had both, I tend to agree. I think $550 may be at the top end for Quartets. Even if theyre in excellent condition and you dont have to have them shipped that seems too steep! Make sure the rear, passive woofer isnt messed up because replacement is getting near impossible. They can be protected with grills so its no biggie if theyre OK. Quartets mate well with Forte IIs and the Academy Center Channel Speaker. Fact is, you may be able to score an oiled walnut pair of Forte IIs for $550 and that would be a step up.

great speaker with the Tractrix similar but slightly smaller than the Forte' II...like the Heresys with MORE bass...I enjoy mine but $550 is a bit high for used...nice walnut oiled REAL wood veneer...nice...as boomac says above, BUT you don't have to pay for shipping, they are closeby, etc...they are worth that kind of money soundwise I believe as they were $1100.00 a pair when new IIRC (and I could be wrong)...I paid less for mine used but they are worth it...with that rear passive radiator, they are somewhat "placement" sensitive...when properly placed they sound GREAT!...Good Luck.

Bill

Not muddy, just a little less bass. I have a pair that I am using for rears in a HT and I paid $500 for them about a year ago from a forum member who lives local. They were in near perfect shape, Oiled Oak, no water marks perfect grills, just a little dry but nothing that a good coat of oil couldn't fix. One has the paper tag, one is missing.

The passive on the rear of them is the same one that is used on the Fort'e 1 and I have two spares from another forum member who parted out his Fort'es after the cabinets were totaled.

If the speakers are local and no shipping is involved, you would be hard pressed to do better for the money. They blend perfect as rears with my Fort'e 1s as mains with an Academy center.

I must add after reading this that I have not kept up on good prices for Quartets...if they are perfect and you like them, I would get them...I got mine for a bit less having never heard them and even believing that I didn't like them (the price was worth the tryout) and I was AMAZED that to me, they sounded like my beloved Heresys but with MORE bass...I would pay that much for local and if they looked nice...now you KNOW they will sound nice...I have mine about 1 and a half to two feet off the back wall and toe'ed just a bit in...WORTH IT!...please report back your thoughts after you buy them...:D

Bill

I think you guys are paying way too much for speakers. I'd never go more than 1/3 the cost of orig retail, and if something

is old/obsolete, I'd go 20 to 25% of list. I think $550 is way too much, and there are better deals to be had.

NP - Plasmatics - New Hope For The Wretched

Ive never paid too much for speakers. Like I said in my initial post, I think $550 is too steep for Quartets. That doesnt mean I wouldnt stretch a bit if I found a pair of quality speakers in great shape. Heres the thing. It seems vjboxer is still in the information gathering stage and therefore $550 is too much to pay for a pair of speakers that hes not sure will fit his needs. On the other hand, if I found a quality pair of Klipschorns in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Greenville I would be willing to pay more than the going rate for a couple reasons. Theyre close, I can inspect & move them and I can have them now! So if $400 is reasonable for quality Quartets and you really know you want them why the heck not pay a little extra for getting what you want when you want it?

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Alex note that several of us are having a Forum Get Together in WaukeshaCounty. Check the thread and maybe stop by if you can. Were about 70 miles form the Hwy 41 bridge over Butte Des Morts.

VJBoxer - any update yet on the Quartet's? It probably wouldn't hurt to post what area of the country you are in - maybe someone

on the board has some cheap Klipsch to sell (as my wife has been hinting!)

Boomac - I'll keep the Milwaukee visit in the back of my mind - yes, I'm just 100 miles north. The calendar is always changing up here.

I'm new to this forum and have learned much in the short time here but it leaves me with more questions.

I have a question about the Quartets, model # QUR WO. I found a pair for sell, the asking price is $550 and I was told that they are in great condition. Is that a decent price? What can you tell me about those speakers?

How do you compare the different series of speakers? Like the RF vs the Quartets vs the Heresy, etc.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Where are you? I have a pair in 8/10 condition that'll be up for sale shortly (I hope!)

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to go check out the Quartets. Major computer crash and long time at vet etc really messed up my weekend. I live in N. Florida. I saw the Quartets on the Tallahassee Craigslist under garage sale. It just stated Klispch speakers so I sent e mail to get more info and they turned out to be the Quartets. I want to check out the RF-7's if I can find them but will still be trying to learn about the different models and family of Klispch speakers so that when my wife gives me ok I can be well informed about what to get. But if a great deal comes along, I don't want to miss it either.

FWIW, I had Quartets with various SS sources. I never could get the sound at appreciable levels without that flaming up the horn to hateful levels. Sold 'em on the 'Bay. I hope the buyer was happy with them. BUT, with an Academy center, they were GREAT home theater. I now use SS with vintage JBL and original Advents in the "upstairs" system. I had Cornwalls for a while and liked them a lot but they did not image in my smallish room. I DO miss them to some degree and hope to find another pair someday. For jazz, live, classical and chamber music, those Cornwalls were awesome.

I have no horns or tubes right now. I just enjoy music and good vintage equipment sound. On audio boards there are lots of differing tastes represented. Check out the audioasylum boards for various systems. It's really an eye opener. I would like to go back to basics with integrated amp, "large" Advents and a TT like I first started in 1977, my third year in college. But that would mean splitting up the entertainment center with the 5.1, XBOX, PS2, and SNES. We just need bigger houses with a spare 15x24 (or so) room, right?

I hope you are happy with your choice. The Heresy has more support on these boards, IMO, and, with a sub, could sound better than the Quartets. And, you will own a Klipch Heritage. I just wish the bass was worthy of the cabinet size. I have wondered if anyone has experiemented with biamping the Heresy horns with a much better bass driver like some of those old custom PRO ElectroVoice rigs.

Interesting...with my EICO HF-81 at Craig's for a freshening, I have Quartets hooked up to a SS McIntosh MA6200...I preferred the Tube sound over SS on my Quartets as well but am listening at good volume lately and find it very nice...in fact BETTER Than I remembered...Fleetwood Mac-The Mask...Diana Krall-anything...Cowboy Junkies...very nice and LOADS of bass...

Bill

For many years, Quartets were my only Klipsch Speakers. I mated them with a Tandberg TR 2045 SS Receiver and that combo worked very well. Tandberg doesnt get much mention on the Forum but the sound and build quality are very special. Much like the HK Receivers, the Tandberg sounds sweet on Klipsch. Although Ive somewhat moved on, I still use the Tandberg on occasion and in fact, I have it set-up with a pair of Forte IIs right now. In a few weeks, well see what some of the Forum guys think about the combination. Quartets and a 2045, (for the money) get 5 stars! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />