Khorns on Ebay

JerolW

What's with the Model type? Any know what this stands for?.

I have sheet somewhere at home.... His ad says Rosewood (?), but based on "MEL", I would think they are a type of Mahogany - (M) Mahogany (E) need to find the sheet[:$]... (L) laquer

Mike Colter or Steve Phillips may have something on that "E". I'll try to look it up tonight if no-one else can determine the "E"

OB; could be; I pulled some mahogany veneer "samples" out of box, with staining, etc. could be; very aggressive pattern though on the eBay pair. Sent him an ebaymail and asked him about provenance (if he knows or will respond....)

Similar topic on getting questions answered on ebay.....; couple days ago a fairly ok pair sold for only ~$1250 in Morehaven (35 miles away); cane grills, allegedly original owner. Would NOT respond to email/ ebaymail, etc. I offered to come look, etc. then maybe bid to do a project, etc. Strange, I'm wondering if they had some major issues that one could not tell in the photos (water damage...). Oh well, back to work.

The finish type has me perplexed as well but if I was to take a guess at it I would call it Macassar Ebony Lacquer, it looks like Rosewood but it is not I do not think it was available in 1988. I would love to have them. I would purchase these over Rosewood's or the 60th Anniversary editions. Simply stunning.

I better stop looking at them!

The finish type has me perplexed as well but if I was to take a guess at it I would call it Macassar Ebony Lacquer, it looks like Rosewood but it is not I do not think it was available in 1988. I would love to have them. I would purchase these over Rosewood's or the 60th Anniversary editions. Simply stunning.

I better stop looking at them!

Frzninvt,

COLLECT THEM ALL!

OB; could be; I pulled some mahogany veneer "samples" out of box, with staining, etc. could be; very aggressive pattern though on the eBay pair. Sent him an ebaymail and asked him about provenance (if he knows or will respond....)

Similar topic on getting questions answered on ebay.....; couple days ago a fairly ok pair sold for only ~$1250 in Morehaven (35 miles away); cane grills, allegedly original owner. Would NOT respond to email/ ebaymail, etc. I offered to come look, etc. then maybe bid to do a project, etc. Strange, I'm wondering if they had some major issues that one could not tell in the photos (water damage...). Oh well, back to work.

These are indeed beauties.

Marshall,

I also noticed that pair in Florida and didn't know what to make of the low closing price. Interesting that the seller didn't respond to your contacts. I didn't see anything in the pics or description that threw red flags.

KLIPSCH S/N FORMATS

DATES

DESCRIPTION

EXAMPLE

1946-1947

###

001 (ending #021)

1948-1961

####

0121 (starting #0121)

1962-1983

##letter####

20Y1234

1984-1989(?)

YY WW ####

1990-1997(?)

DOY Y2Y1 ####

1998-2000

YY WW ####

1962-1983 Letter format

A = 1962

F = 1967

K = 1972

R = 1977

X = 1982

B = 1963

G = 1968

L = 1973

S = 1978

Y = 1983

C = 1964

H = 1969

M = 1974

T = 1979

D = 1965

I = 1970

N = 1975

U = 1980

E = 1966

J = 1971

P = 1976

W = 1981

NOTES

1946-1961 dates can only be found in log book (eng. Library)

DOY = day of the year
YY = year (i.e. 99,00)
Y2Y1 = 2nd digit of year, 1st digit of year
WW = week of the year

Date code on drivers (1994) Example - 9429 = 1994, 29th week of the year / YYWW

Klipschorns of this vintage had the s/n hammer stamped into the tailboard, woofer access door or inside the woofer chamber.

Klipsch Date Codes