T Khorns

greg928gts

And that was a bargain! What would you estimate the difference in time spent with un-backed versus paper-backed veneer? I'd guess it would have to be at least 3 times.

There IS that much difference with the actual veneering part of the restoration, but not so much overall. The main difference is the fact that the backed veneer has perfectly matched flitches that are tightly joined, wonderful grain patterns, is sanded, and is much more stable once it's applied. It just makes a much better finished product. On the "M" Khorns, the veneer from www.oakwoodveneer.com had such a thin paper backer that it did not show on the edges, which is the problem I had with NBL backed veneers. Also, the Heatlock glue worked much better than Titebond II.

So the "T" Khorns gave me some trouble with the raw wood veneer. It was difficult to join the pieces together tightly, I had bubbling issues right from the begining, and even though I agree they are stunning, the grain of the veneer isn't quite up to par with the premium stuff you get with paper backed veneers.

I would estimate about 80 hours of work went into the "T" Khorns, and about $700 in materials. I paid $1000 for them originally. There's other time involved in shopping for materials, moving the speakers around, and testing, but I just chalk that up to the fun of the hobby.

Greg

Again, simply stunning. Do you also make furniture? I have this idea for a custom flat screen stand that fits over a forte II center and has audio racking on the sides....my wife will kill me for even asking, but i've lived a good life..

It is very rare that I take on a commission, for three reasons. First, I'm expensive. 99% of the time it ends up that the cost of doing the work is more expensive than it's worth. Second, I just don't have the time to take on other jobs when there are so many projects of my own that are just waiting in my shop to be done. Third, I live up here in the sticks, so shipping stuff is expensive.

However, if the building industry slows down any more than it already has, I may be forced into woodworking just to pay the bills! Of course I could join the growing trend of not working and find some disability that I can use to leach off the system . . . . oops, getting into BS Forum territory here.

Greg

Again, simply stunning. Do you also make furniture? I have this idea for a custom flat screen stand that fits over a forte II center and has audio racking on the sides....my wife will kill me for even asking, but i've lived a good life..

It is very rare that I take on a commission, for three reasons. First, I'm expensive. 99% of the time it ends up that the cost of doing the work is more expensive than it's worth. Second, I just don't have the time to take on other jobs when there are so many projects of my own that are just waiting in my shop to be done. Third, I live up here in the sticks, so shipping stuff is expensive.

However, if the building industry slows down any more than it already has, I may be forced into woodworking just to pay the bills! Of course I could join the growing trend of not working and find some disability that I can use to leach off the system . . . . oops, getting into BS Forum territory here.

Greg

Greg,

Can you build me a set of Decorator Cornwalls in Rosewood?

Great work Greg!

You're pics and work were my insperation for my Cornwalls in curly maple that are in progress now. It's been so darn hunid here the veneering has come to a stop.

Would you mind sharing the name of the wood filler you use? It looks like a great product.

Greg,

Great work as always! Your website is great with the step by step process of restoring speakers. It is definitely a time intensive hobby, but the final product is well worth the effort. I too use the paper backed veneer from oak wood veneer. They are a great company to work with and there veneer is first rate.

Greg,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

As always, you have created beauty! I agree 100% about the better-quality paper-backed veneer it is so much easier to work with and the end results are more predictable, more uniform, and more reliable.

That said, you, my friend, have mastered the use of both kinds of veneer! I cant wait to see what you do next.

Keep em coming.

Rob