OT: Wonder how many Klipsch nuts also golf?

anarchist

I have been hitting the links more regularly with my brothers-in-law so the musical madness has been on hold while I have been busy upgrading my clubs on e-bay. Have a new driver and 3-wood on the way. Wonder how many others are afflicted with this same disease?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been playing for almost 25 years now (started when I was 30).

Finally gave up trying to be good and learned to just enjoy playing the game.

As you've probably already discovered, the course is a great place to smoke cigars, drink beer and get away from women.

Enjoy!

I don't golf but I do have a fun golf story.  I like to live on golf courses.  This is my 3rd home on a course.  It's like living next to a well groomed park with clowns hitting at little white balls.  You just gotta be careful not to buy a house in a target zone.  I played golf a little in my teens.  I was a strong kid and could really drive a ball, sideways, usually.  I did not know which club really did what other than there were putters, drivers and irons.  I played with my cousin and a friend.  We would bet holes and low man got the money (pocket change so no stress).  None of us were any good.  Well we came to a long par 3 hole.  We always played the same course so I had been there before.  This time, for the heck of it I grabbed an iron to tee off with.  I don't know which iron, it just wasn't a putter or driver.  I smacked that ball hard and the damn thing went sky high and straight as an arrow.  It landed over a little hill right on the green exactly where the stupid flag sat, picture perfect.  A lady in the group behind us ran over wanting to know who'd hit that ball.  I said "I did but it was an accident".  She just shook her head and walked away.  It was not a hole-in-one but it was an easy birdie.  I won the money for that hole.  Crap if I'd known how much money there was in it I might have stuck with it.

I have been playing over 20 years and currently play 3 times a week in Central Florida. It's very rare if I don't play in a week, and that's all year round. I think I have over 70 rounds in this year already, and I'm leaving for a 9 day gof trip to Pittsburgh next Friday. [:D]

My index just came out a couple of days ago and I'm playing to a 4 at the moment. I believe Arky is a scratch golfer.

Mike

I used to be a 6. Now about double that if I play enough. Once a month ain't enough. Still, I'll shoot in the 70's at least once a season.

Boomac used to be close to scratch and Allan ain't bad either.

You single Florida guys can play all year round. Unfair advantage.[;)]

I am still working on putting together a complete round. I usually start off driving beautifully and can't putt for crap. By the 9th hole, my driving is going south and I still can't putt for crap. By the 15th hole, I can't drive but now I am making a few putts. By the 18th hole, I am throwing my 3 wood.

So, after careful analysis of my game, I decided I needed a new driver with a matching 3 wood (which was expensive enough to remove the urge to throw the club) and am going to hit a golf shop and pick up a real putter.

Regarding another thread on here, at the moment I am stir crazy waiting for these clubs to get here so I can go hit the driving range. To think I have to wait the better part of a week... oh, well, will spend a couple hours putting in the local golf shop tomorrow.

I purchased a set of irons (used) years back when I started.......so what next?

Ordered a custom set of Calloway's and now I don't drive the ball as far. Go figure! Had to change my grip/swing plane, so it's like starting all over again. I commend you guys that can actually post a decent score. I fall off the back 9 myself, as the first (3) holes are a real PITA, and I lose momentum if I don't get off T - to - green.

Definitely as much (if not more) of a mental challenge as it is a physical demand. GaryMD, if you plan some time off over on the shore, make sure you bring your clubs. I believe you would like this course, but you already know there are a ton of courses on the Eastern Shore for the picking. This particular course (Great Hope) is county-funded/public and generally isn't jammed up, so it is an enjoyable experience w/few delays if any.

i started learning to golf early last winter. have gone to the local golf course about once a week ever since and have had a blast. still not very good at it but i certainly do have fun. i got a number of items off e-bay as well but bought my clubs used locally. tried to get good equipment at the lowest prices. i figured that way i didnt have poor equipment as an excuse for bad golf. no handicaps other than my own lack of ability.

hope everyone's having a great evening!

pete

As you've probably already discovered, the course is a great place to smoke cigars, drink beer and get away from women.

Enjoy! 

Oscar - You missed this?

Strangely this post was not up when I posted mine.  In fact I thought my post was the 1st after the lead post but there are several in front of mine.  Anyway Bart get a grip.  You can conduct your life anyway you wish, it is fine by me.  I'm sorry I oinked on your cigar thread.  Happy now?  I wish you the best of everything, especially the growing up part. :-)

old timer, to be honest with you, the rock climber/white water kayaker/racketball player/volleyballer part of me thought it was a stupid game for the longest time. then i got a little older and decided i wanted to try it as a more relaxing sport. now i know it as one of the most challenging sports to do well. i hope i can continue to play for a long time!

pete

I hope you can continue to play for a long time too pete.

Oh, I also like that scene in Caddyshack where the priest is golfing the game of his life in a thunderstorm, then misses a putt and looks up at the sky towards God and says "ratf***." Then he gets hit by lightning. Now that's hilarious.