End of Hurricane Season - 2007

LATEST NHC UPDATE AT 1100 EDT

THE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT REPORTED A PEAK FLIGHT-LEVEL WIND OF 142 KT IN THE NORTHWEST QUADRANT...WHICH WOULD SUPPORT THE CURRENT ESTIMATED INTENSITY OF 125 KT. CENTRAL PRESSURES HAVE BEEN SLOWLY RISING...THE EYE DIAMETER HAS INCREASED OVER THE PAST 12 HOURS...AND THE RECONNAISSANCE DATA INDICATE A CONCENTRIC EYEWALL STRUCTURE. IN THE SHORT TERM...THERE COULD BE SOME BROADENING OF THE WIND FIELD WITH FLUCTUATIONS IN STRENGTH AS THE CORE OF DEAN APPROACHES JAMAICA...BUT FURTHER STRENGTHENING OVER THE DEEP WARM WATERS OF THE NORTHWESTERN CARIBBEAN IS EXPECTED.

THERE HAS BEEN LITTLE CHANGE TO THE TRACK FORECAST PHILOSOPHY. THE INITIAL MOTION IS 280/16...WITH SOME EMBEDDED WOBBLES. AS
THE MID- TO UPPER-LEVEL CYCLONE OVER THE EASTERN GULF OF MEXICO CONTINUES TO SHIFT WESTWARD AHEAD OF DEAN...THE FUTURE TRACK OF THE HURRICANE WILL BE CONTROLLED LARGELY BY A DEEP-LAYER HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEM THAT IS FORECAST TO BUILD OVER THE SOUTHEASTERN UNITED STATES. THE TRACK GUIDANCE REMAINS IN GOOD AGREEMENT ON A CONTINUED WEST-NORTHWESTWARD MOTION THROUGHOUT THE FORECAST PERIOD...AND THE OFFICIAL FORECAST IS ESSENTIALLY AN UPDATE OF THE PREVIOUS ADVISORY.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INITIAL 19/1500Z 17.0N 75.1W 125 KT
12HR VT 20/0000Z 17.5N 77.7W 125 KT
24HR VT 20/1200Z 18.3N 81.2W 130 KT
36HR VT 21/0000Z 19.0N 84.5W 140 KT (160 MILES PER HOUR)
48HR VT 21/1200Z 19.9N 88.2W 120 KT...INLAND
72HR VT 22/1200Z 21.5N 95.0W 100 KT

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A LARGE SCALE RIDGE DOMINATES THE ATLANTIC OCEAN...ANCHORED BY A 1032 MB HIGH W OF THE AZORES AT 38N34W PRODUCING WIDESPREAD FAIR WEATHER AND MODERATE TRADES E OF 60W. IN THE UPPER LEVELS...A RIDGE IS OVER THE W ATLANTIC N OF 25N AND W OF 70W THAT IS PUSHING S AND WILL EFFECT THE FUTURE TRACK OF DEAN. AN UPPER LOW IS OVER THE CENTRAL ATLANTIC NEAR 30N56W MOVING W. LIGHTNING DATA HAS BEEN DEPICTING A FEW ISOLATED TSTMS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS FEATURE FROM 27N-34N BETWEEN 50W-57W. UPPER RIDGING IS OVER THE ERN ATLANTIC E OF 40W.

Okay....layman's terms please.....because my head is booming with a sinus infection right now and I can't do the research on it. I know New Orleans sits at 30 and it looks like some kind of weather system near Georgia....the white "blob".

Look at the blue lines and you can see the baro pressure. The high in the upper north Atlantic is pushing the lines down.

Okay....layman's terms please.....because my head is booming with a sinus infection right now and I can't do the research on it. I know New Orleans sits at 30 and it looks like some kind of weather system near Georgia....the white "blob".

Look at the blue lines and you can see the baro pressure. The high in the upper north Atlantic is pushing the lines down.

On the "pretty colors" graphic, you see the "H" off the coast of Georgia.