Good idea or bad idea?

dkalsi

I have a pair of 1977 Khorns Raw Birch without the riser. They are going to be placed in an extention to our house that is currently in construction.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way the look - Joe (who I bought it from) kept them in near flawless condition.

Although the K-horns are always pleasent to look at - I was still thinking about making some cosmetic changes to it.

What I had in mind was finish the top section in black - put lacewood veen on the front of the bass bins, paint the back black - and potentially add a riser. - i.e. turn my 1977 K-horns to look a lot like the 60th anniversary khorns - I can even get my uncle to make me the silver klipsch logo.

Let me know what you guys think.

I think they would look great! Klipschorns are a great 'canvas' on which craftsmen or tweakers can - and do - work their own brand of magic... often to their own delight and satisfaction through (subjectively) better "looks" or "sound." Given quality workmanship, your vision of "remodeled" Klipschorns could be very beautiful, indeed... just decide if the new "look" would fit with your overall decor.

When I decided to rework my '84 Klipschorns, I was initially strongly considering following pretty much the same design path that you are thinking of... in the end, however, I came up with an entirely different "look"... one that blends better with our other room furnishings, etc.

In other words, "go for it"... but be sure to think it through very carefully before you invest in pricey veneer and start makin' sawdust

Please show us photos of your project... all along the way.

My version...

Posted Image

Posted Image

RFP, nice looking room. I have noted that ceiling fans destroy the high end when turning... they cause a Doppler-like reflection that makes high notes warble at a frequency of [[fan blade rotations/sec] x [no. of blades]]/sec. I always have to turn mine off to listen...

RFP, nice looking room. I have noted that ceiling fans destroy the high end when turning... they cause a Doppler-like reflection that makes high notes warble at a frequency of [[fan blade rotations/sec] x [no. of blades]]/sec. I always have to turn mine off to listen...

Very interesting I never even thought of that.... My ceiling is 11.5 feet high not sure how much I would notice.... Dang now I'm going to be listening to tunes turning the fan off and on....

I personally like things looking factory stock in appearance.

Your Khorns survived unmolested for 30 years now this idea pops into your head, bad move.

What would you rather have, a 67 Corvette as it came from the factory, or one with fender flares, a third brake light on each side and some funky non hideaway headlights?

Thanks, Paul... I appreciate your kind words. I am really, really proud of my new "absorber panels not that they actually do very much (sonically), but they look great in the room and I am proud that I was actually able to figger out how to make them (see shamelessly prideful how I did it thread here: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/4/930506/ShowThread.aspx#930506 ).<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Someday soon, I intend to make a similar one for over the double door.

Im too lucky.. wife thinks the look super and were work all the trouble (which was considerable!).

As for the ceiling fan(s) I have often wondered if they (there are two in this room) had any effect on the sound I thought that it made sense that the fans might strobe the sound. But these tired old ears dont seem to notice but Id bet you younger (and more perceptive) guys could tell the difference when they are on. Anyway, during the summer, I usually run them.

Hey, Paul, do you ever get up to the Fort Worth area?

Cheers to all,

Rob

guys, please comment on my idea too - its going to cost me about 200 bucks for the veneer alone - let me know what you guys think

dkalsi... Where are you going to buy your veneer? Are you going to use "backed" veneer? Do you have at least some veneering experience? These are a couple of questions that might help us give you a meaningful question to your question.

I may be running counter to the collective wisdom of the group, but I say if you want to and you can... do it!

Cheerz,

Rob

I was actually going to buy the lacewood veneer from oakwoodveneer.com - part of the reason what i was considering the lacewood is because I dont have to worry about matching the veneer on the two speakers (like most khorns have matched veneer). If i went with any other wood veneer - then i would have to buy to peices and make sure they were consecutive so the veneer would match - however, this is not a big issue withe lacewood do to the patter of the grain.

I myself have never veneered before - A very close friend of my is very good with veneer and wood work in general and has veneer several speakers - he plans on helping me out. He added that since I am putting the veneer only on the front of the bass bin of the khorns, it would not be too difficult of a project.

I may be running counter to the collective wisdom of the group, but I say if you want to and you can... do it!

Yes!! Agreed!! I learned on Heresy projects, up to Cornwalls and now a pair of K'horns!! If you don't try it at some point, you'll never be able to do it!!!

Read joewoodworkers site carefully, it's designed for people like me (and you??) who are learning as we go. many schools of thought on glue, etc. It can be done with heatlock glue instead of contact cement if you practice on smaller pieces first.

Dhar, I may not be able to contribute a whole lot, but maybe we should follow up with my visit to see your other speaks (which I'd like to), and if I see something to comment on, I can maybe add a suggestion or two. I don't recall the details of what the K-horns looked like before you got them.

Larry

I was thinking about using heatlock as well - I believe there is a forum member here who restores vintage Klipsch speakers and I remember reading on his site how he felt heat lock works perfectly as well as reducing the changes of air bubbles.

dkalsi.... You Klipschorns don't have the 'toeboards' do they? It seems to me that they would be a pain to 'veneer' or 'veneerr around'... I know for a fact that they are a pain to remove.

Be sure to check out the posts by greg928gts (Greg Roberts... Forum member, and craftsman par excellance!)...

http://www.dcchomes.com/Heresy.html
http://dcchomes.com/LaScala.html
http://www.dcchomes.com/JBL.html
http://www.dcchomes.com/RosewoodKhorn.html
http://www.dcchomes.com/WalnutKhorn.html
http://www.dcchomes.com/ZCorn.html

Rob

Birch can look pretty good without doing too much. Here is a set that has only been oiled.

vn2qfm.jpg

Proof positive that a simple inexpensive wood can look positively elegant. The grill cloth helps, but mainly these look like this because they have a nice finish applied to them and they are obviously well cared for.

So many people over the years ordered Khorns unfinished to save a few hundred bucks. Then they proceeded to butcher them with unskilled labor and questionable decision making on finish choices. Kinda like ordering a new Porsche without paint, and then using Rustoleum to "finish" it.

Greg

JMON, that looks veneered to me, which adds to their beauty because the grain is symmetrical between the two halves of the front panel. (That may explain how they are in the B style.) Birch is a beautiful wood, I agree, and yours look very elegant.