Howsabout those Klipsch Palladium?

damonrpayne

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved the idea and looks of the Premier line several years back. I thought the more contempary look worked well in main living area applications.

Now....15K a pair just seems a little pricey to me. I'm not sure how many will sell. For that kind of dough, they better sound as good as anything on the market or this may be a short lived enrty. At 15K it may be anyway.

Phil

Na Phil, $130K is pricey even if they did go out of business. Wonder how that happened as the design is interesting[:o] NOT

post-18681-13819344067284_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I am really excited to see, AND HEAR, these. I am not really happy with the name either, Palladium is too common, can you even trademark it? There should have been a contest on here to come up with a name.

Travis

Hey Travis,

Actually, we do have the name Palladium trademarked, so yes. And it turns out the atomic number for the element palladium is 46. Coincidence? [;)]

Below is an article from C/Net News on 1/24/2003 about Microsoft Palladium discussing that Microsoft dropped the name, in part, because of possible litigation over the trademark, maybe Fred got the big guns after Bill? In addition there is a Palladium in every town, including the most famous one of all in London (other then the original one of course), I have a pair of Palladium shoes, from the Palladium Shoe Co.

It doesn't matter though, I can get over the name and just call them "P-39F's". I don't believe in coincidences, it must be meant to be that I have P-39F's.

Travis

This was from C/Net News on 1/24/2003:

Microsoft has dropped the code name of its controversial security technology, Palladium, in favor of this buzzword-bloated tongue twister: "next-generation secure computing base."

On Friday, the company said that the name Palladium had become tarnished by controversy surrounding some elements of Microsoft's security push. In additional, it faced a potential legal battle with a small firm over the Palladium name.

"The official story--and it's true--is that we intended to change the name for a long time," said Mario Juarez, product manager for Microsoft's Windows Trusted Platform Technologies Group. "The fact that it was something that got a lot of attention and gave rise to a lot of misunderstanding" was also a factor, he said.

Microsoft unveiled Palladium last summer with the goal of allowing companies to wall off data, secure communications, and to identify their systems and those of business partners.

Critics, however, argue that the technology can also be used to restrict access to data. For example, a text document could be restricted to being accessible by only the application that created it.

To address the criticism, the company has decided to release the source code of the core part of the software, known as the nub or nexus, so that others can verify it is secure and is doing only what the company has claimed.

Microsoft's Juarez dismissed any suggestions that the name change implied that the company was trying to dodge criticism.

"That's not the reason that we are doing it," he said. "This is really reflective of the fact that Microsoft is embracing this technology in terms of folding it into Windows for the next decade."

In addition, a potential lawsuit by a small firm that he wasn't allowed to name was also a major factor, Juarez said.

"Another company has laid a claim to the trademark of Palladium," he said.

The name change comes a day after Chairman Bill Gates sent a memo to Microsoft's customers outlining the company's progress towards securing its Windows products. The memo foreshadowed the name change by referring to Palladium as the initial name for the technology.

"Looking ahead, we are working on a new hardware/software architecture for the Windows PC platform (initially code-named 'Palladium'), which will significantly enhance the integrity, privacy and data security of computer systems by eliminating many 'weak links,'" Gates wrote in the memo.

Despite the controversy surrounding the technology, few technical details of the technology have been released.

• Moderators

My rf83 weigh in around 100 pounds and its about the same size

These weigh over 200 lbs each.

Amy, is there ANY information you can give us regarding the first available time to demo them? Will we just have to wait until they hit the dealer?

jc

Doc,

Can you get any time off between Sept. 5 and 9th off? If you can get a day or two I have a hunch where they might have these on display for us to check out. I have not confirmed they will be in Denver, but it is no coincidence that these were anounced to the public in August. I don't believe in coincidences. If you can get the time I will confirm whether they will be there or not for us to go take a listen with a few thousand other of Klipsch's faithfull.

Travis

Thanks, Travis!

There is a front grille, Roger--magnetic, of course, but the posts are under the veneer, so it looks like they are magically attached [:)].

I can't wait for you guys to see them. They really are stunning.

I would be a bit wary of this. over time the magnet will make itself apparent on the veneer, probably a round circle.

Thanks, Travis!

There is a front grille, Roger--magnetic, of course, but the posts are under the veneer, so it looks like they are magically attached [:)].

I would be a bit wary of this. over time the magnet will make itself apparent on the veneer, probably a round circle.

What difference would that make? You don't see it with the grilles on, and with them off, you would see the magnets anyway with exposed magnets say like the Forte II's.

• Moderators

Yeah,

I guess y'all are real familar with the Palladium name[:|] Here we go with the cross-branding, vertical intergration stuff. Whoa boy, this is going to be a fun ride. http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/palladium-1k.aspx

Palladium 1K Monoblock Amplifier

You have selected a Klipsch Classic product.

Features

400 watts into 8 ohms, 600 into 4 ohms, and 1000 watts into 2 ohms

Dual five-way binding post outputs

Machined aluminum front panel available in black or silver finish

• Moderators

Thanks, Travis!

What difference would that make? You don't see it with the grilles on, and with them off, you would see the magnets anyway with exposed magnets say like the Forte II's.

Yeah, and magnets are known to cure cancer, headaches, and improve your golf swing.

However, for 15K speakers this would be good to know ahead of time.

Travis

• Moderators

I'm sure that was taken into consideration and will not be a problem. [edit] I was just told the magnet is behind the wood, not just the veneer.

• Moderators

I guess y'all are real familar with the Palladium name[:|] Here we go with the cross-branding, vertical intergration stuff. Whoa boy, this is going to be a fun ride. http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/palladium-1k.aspx

400 watts into 8 ohms, 600 into 4 ohms, and 1000 watts into 2 ohms
I dunno, will it be that inefficient?

Nope, but there has to be a reason they are using a name from the Aragon family. Maybe they are going to start building tube amps in China?

T

• Moderators

Crazy! What they spend on speakers is an inverse relationship to their weenie size!

Whoa GARY and DTEL,

Did you hear that? Gary, you got $7,500 KHorns on this forum for free and DTEL got CWIII for free, you can't get inversely bigger that that[:P]

I think I will wait for the Klipsh earphones to come out.

Travis

Thanks, Travis!

Yeah, and magnets are known to cure cancer, headaches, and improve your golf swing.

However, for 15K speakers this would be good to know ahead of time.

Travis

My Forte II's have done all that for me, and I don't even play golf!