What's your take on car audio?

falcon20x

I just drove back from the dealer with a my new car. The car is equipped with a DVD system which includes Dolby/DTS decoding and a bose 5.1 system.

While I was reading the owner manual I decided to check it out using the Eagles dvd.

I know it is Bose and believe me if it was up to me I would have Klipsch speakers installed in the car but after setting up the system I have to admit it sounded pretty darn good. I really like the speakers incorporated on each side of the head rest of the front seats., they actually do a good job. I never gave much attention to that kind of system on board of car but I did not know what I was missing.

I was just curious if any one has had the same experience?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see your point. However if you drive a lot and enjoy to be able to listen to your DVD audio so you don't have to buy the audio CD version for the car. Such a system in a car might just be a good answer.

I don't think it is suppose to compete with top HIFI equipment but it does provide a good alternative.

Are you speaking of experience or just giving an opinion?

The only reason I asked is because the cabin of my car is extremely quiet and sound diffusion is fairly decent.

I am speaking of experience as a driver. When i drive I want to experience driving. Listen and feel what the car is doing. I can tell my mechanic exactly what is different from before because i know exactly how it sounds and feels different. At home I listen to my system. I can also tell if anything sounds different from before because I know exactly how it sounds with the same music.

I know what you are saying and if you enjoy doing what you do then that is good for you. No matter how quiet a car is there are always low frequencies that are hard to hear because of the noise floor. This is just my personal opinion but I would rather listen in the most optimal environment I can, and drive a car for what it is worth, and not try to listen to music.

In retrospect I am the wrong guy to talk to about this, because I am a purist when it comes to driving, and own Italian and German cars without cupholders. After all, your coffee table doesn't come with a steering wheel, so why should your car have a cup holder? Japanese and American manufacturers instead would rather have you drive your living room.

No  US made.

Oldtimer while I used to agree with your statement I have to say that I just traded in a german luxury made car because after spending the last a year and half at the dealer fixing it I just got tired.
Without mentionning the fact that there service is way over price.

No US made.

Oldtimer while I used to agree with your statement I have to say that I just traded in a german luxury made car because after spending the last a year and half at the dealer fixing it I just got tired.

That's cool I don't give dealers business either.

Very nice work on yours, but that is way above what I need for a car.
The only reason I started this thread was just to have an idea of what people have out there.
I do understand and respect oldtimer's point because I do enjoy driving for driving myself, if it does make sense, but It can get pretty boring if you are driving a long way on high ways ( and I can't afford anymore tickets this year)

No US made.

That's cool I don't give dealers business either.

I have always done the work myself on my cars in the past 15 years but this days those things are so computerized that is nearly impossible to work on them by yourself anymore

I have two stock OEM Bose systems. I only MP3 it in the car, As OT said, the home system should blow the car system out of the water. I am sure there is a freezin dude in Vermont who would disagree, but to each thier own. I like to listen to music while commuting. I have to check out books on CD.

Car Audio is a waste of money to me........Can't match my home system, don't drive enough to justify expense, standard car stereo good enough for me. Remember when I was a young guy, and my car was sorta' my home, I would invest in car audio then, couldn't play my music loud enough in my parents house. That was back in the dark ages, FM converter with a Reverb unit, then came 8 tracks, oh god they sucked, then the cassette, better than 8 track, Stereo Radios before the Clear Channels of the world took over, and now the CD's.........just my take on it, would rather invest in Home equipment.............Yes, there is alot of fine Car Audio gear today, but I don't need it..

Car Audio is a waste of money to me........Can't match my home system, don't drive enough to justify expense, standard car stereo good enough for me. Remember when I was a young guy, and my car was sorta' my home, I would invest in car audio then, couldn't play my music loud enough in my parents house. That was back in the dark ages, FM converter with a Reverb unit, then came 8 tracks, oh god they sucked, then the cassette, better than 8 track, Stereo Radios before the Clear Channels of the world took over, and now the CD's.........just my take on it, would rather invest in Home equipment.............Yes, there is alot of fine Car Audio gear today, but I don't need it..

You haven't heard my car then, it can rival and in certain areas outperform my home system. It will easily outperform 90% of the (HT or 2-channel) systems on this forum with ease. I don't like boom cars, my car audio system was designed with "sound quality" being the main focus of the system. My brother in law Gilbert who is very familiar with quality audio systems tubes or otherwise could not believe what he was hearing so much so that he bought the same amplifiers and similar arrangement for his BMW M3. He has a Nakamichi CD-700II with a Focal front stage, and JL Audio 8" subwoofers in a custom rear deck configuration with the best Orion amplifiers ever made the NT100 & NT200 that are better than some of the best home amplifiers.

The clarity, imaging and dynamics are off the scale but that is how the system was designed and implemented. So much so that even on the highway with the moonroof open I can still hear every nuance and detail.

Here is what the system consists of:

Alpine CDA-7998

Alpine CHA-S604 6 Disc CD Changer

HiFonics Series VIII Isis (Front & Rear)

HiFonics Series VIII Isis (Subs)

HiFonics Series VIII Ulysses (Center)

Kinetik HC-600 High Current Supplemental Battery

a/d/s 236is 2-Way Components w/336PX Tweeters & 346is Crossover Networks (Front)

a/d/s 200i 2-Way Plate w/L-Pad (Center)

Magnum Professional's w/MF & HF Modules (Rear)

Orion 10" NT2 "nTense" DVC's (Sealed Enclosure)

Stinger Dream Series Twisted Pair Interconnects

Big Three Baby! Yeah!

All that said, you won't get a system like this at your local Best Buy or Circuit City you need to go to a speciality shop and preferably one that knows what they are doing there are alot of "poser" shops out there and it is all about "SPL" these days and the focus is no longer on sound quality. Always ask to see some of their install work. A killer car system done right also does not come cheaply just as a high quality home system does not come cheaply. My high-current HiFonics Isis amplifier's retailed for $1K apiece.

FrzninVt..........I have no doubt what so ever that what you say is true. damn man, look at your Home gear,Top Shelf. I just don't have the need or desire for such equipment in my car, I don't drive that much anymore. When I say it can't match my home stereo, I'm speaking of just me,and mine. Funny, the Porsche has an Alpine with component speakers, but I'd rather listen to the music of the engine than CD's....call me crazy, but 220 horses of Fuel Injected Porsche playing through dual SS exhausts is a Symphony to me.........I'm sure your car system would give me goose bumps....

Oh, I agree nothing like the thrill of some serious horsepower and a rumbling exhaust, my little Honda Accord has some performance parts in it and it will zip along pretty good, but it is only my back and forth to work and go to the dump on Saturday car but I drive like 25 minutes each way and love my quality sound. I used to compete in the IASCA Sound Quality circuit from '95 to '97 and did win a number of trophies including a 2nd place in one of the "Best of the Best in NY" shows in Plattsburgh, NY. The car was so meticulously detailed that every screw was clocked in the same position under the hood and in the car.

I have been into car audio since the days of the Pioneer TP-900 8-track, Clarion 100-EQB Equalizer, and Jensen Triaxials so at least 30 years and still enjoy it to this day.

I despise the kids with the bass that sounds like 10 men beating on the side of a rubber raft coming down the road, I welcome the opportunity to get behind one of these idiots and showing them what real bass sounds like. Nothing like rattling the insides of their car from inside mine. [:D] I only have a total of 250 Watts (2-100W amps and 1-50W) but they are high current and will double thier output with every drop in impedance.

Here is a photo of my head unit.

I have two stock OEM Bose systems. I only MP3 it in the car, As OT said, the home system should blow the car system out of the water. I am sure there is a freezin dude in Vermont who would disagree, but to each thier own. I like to listen to music while commuting. I have to check out books on CD.

JB, that's kinda-sorta what I use to think, only not as strongly, because I always knew there were some damn good car audio systems to be had, but I would have never in a million years thought they could come even remotely close to a good home set-up. HOW WRONG I WAS, because about 3 years ago I visited Frzninvt for a couple of days, and was dumbfounded and blown away at the sound quailty. His car's system was astounding to say the least. Crystal clear clairity, broad ranging dynamics, not aggressively booming, but deep and throaty (don't you go there, [;)]) when it was suppose to be.

I was taken back so profoundly, that I started a quest to build something similar in my daily driver, which is definitely a fun to drive car. I now, 2 1/2 years later, finally have that system, and though it doesn't out perform my home system, it will certainly give it a run for it's money.

did it sound like your home system? you know, depth, soundstage, dynamic, etc.....

have a blessed night,

roy

Beyond belief, is all I can say Roy, beyond belief. But as you probably should know, it doesn't come cheap. The amps I purchased were around $1500 each, back in the early 90's, and still command a healthy price even today. The speakers I use are new (Focal Utopia's), but cost about the same as a used pair of Khorns. The sound is incredble, and your ears will bleed long before the systems limits are even tested. Perfect clairity, perfect. Still to this day. I can not believe the sound quality comming from my car's system, even though I drive it to work and back every day, but not today, I road my bike this morning. [:D]