What's your take on car audio?

falcon20x

FrzninVt..........I have no doubt what so ever that what you say is true. damn man, look at your Home gear,Top Shelf. I just don't have the need or desire for such equipment in my car, I don't drive that much anymore. When I say it can't match my home stereo, I'm speaking of just me,and mine. Funny, the Porsche has an Alpine with component speakers, but I'd rather listen to the music of the engine than CD's....call me crazy, but 220 horses of Fuel Injected Porsche playing through dual SS exhausts is a Symphony to me.........I'm sure your car system would give me goose bumps....

OB, I love the sound of a high performance motor, absolutely love it, but when you take a journey and drive in excess of a couple hundred miles, there's something more that I'd like to hear. Especially when the road is straight and boreing, as it can be when driving the most of Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, Wyomming, and I'm sure there's others;..... And I honestly don't think there's another member on this forum that is as big a car nut as me. I'm such a car nut that I'm seriously contemplating a barely used 2006 996 TT (just under 5000 miles), and letting Imagine Auto in Kansas drop their Stage 4GT package (http://www.imagineauto.com/996tt-04gt.htm) into it. So far, still haggeling on the price with owner, but that's another story,....... so let me say this, if a good quality car audio system is not your thing, then quite simply, it's not for you, which is fine,....... But to think a car audio system can not come remotely close to a good quality home system is dead wrong. I did use to think like you, but believe me, there are some very seriously good sound quality car systems.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer that people who drive cars pay as much attention to that endeavor as possible.  When would a stereo system be as much of a distraction as say a cellphone?  Would speakers built into a headrest keep the driver from hearing emergency vehicles in time to avoid collisions?  In the past when car audio systems were really bad I'd have considered improving them.  But what is stock in my Subaru and BMW are more than sufficient to keep my ears happy.  I guess my point is if one invests a lot into a car system will they allow it to become the focus of attention and not the operation of the vehicle?  For as little as I drive now I can recall numerous instances of having to avoid the cars with drivers using cell phones.  And those idiot booming cars.  Their ears must be internally bleeding when they get out of the car.

Gilbert, just curious in an honest way, do you not get any road noise inside your car which would raise the noise floor? Also, can you hear the sirens of emergency vehicles and/or that train coming down the track? If not, would you consider that safe?

EH! you say something? [;)]

Do I hear road noise, yes, of course. Is that an honest question? sorry, gotta ask, because I've never been in a car that I didn't hear road noise or wind noise making it's way into the cabin, and that includes a Lexus LS series, which is by far the quietest automobile I've ever been in. By relative comparison, based on what I've read and experienced, I'd guess that during a typical steady 75 to 80mph cruise, my interior noise level would be somewhere in the 67db range, maybe higher, but definitley not 70. Pretty loud for a daily cruiser, but she's seriously modded, so it's expected. Does that mean I drive around the way you are implying, no never, because I don't need to, or want to.

Do I hear sirens? Sure, of course. But, I have always seen the flashing lights long before I hear the sirens. I am an alert driver, or at least I think I am...... But tell me, why do you ask if I hear sirens or trains? And what kind of a person who claims to be curious in an honest way, asks someone if they would consider it unsafe if they couldn't hear sirens or trains coming at them; To me, JMHO, that sounds more like the kind of question comming for a ________ person, than a curious one asking in an honest way. I'll leave it to your curious but honest imagination to fill in the blank for me, but I honestly, in a curious sort of way, think you get my drift.

what is stock in my Subaru and BMW are more than sufficient to keep my ears happy. I guess my point is if one invests a lot into a car system will they allow it to become the focus of attention and not the operation of the vehicle? For as little as I drive now I can recall numerous instances of having to avoid the cars with drivers using cell phones. And those idiot booming cars. Their ears must be internally bleeding when they get out of the car.

I agree with the first sentence (above) taken from your post, but my car was/is an experiment. I have never owned a highend car audio system, and wanted to experience it. I do love it, but will not likely invest that much money again in a car stereo system.

As for considering listening to the radio a distraction, no I totally disagree. I know lots of people that are capable of focusing a different interest while listening to music. Doctors, Engineers, Pilots and Race car drivers would be perfect examples. But I do believe it has more to do with how an individual is built or more precisely,his/her mental abilities. Obviously there are allot of idiots out there driving around with cell phones, who shouldn't be allowed to even own one. And it obviously there are law makers who feel the same way, because several states have outlawed their use when driving,..... but radios? Nah, they been around for quite some time, certainly allot longer than cell phones, and no lawyer has sued (yet?) a car company for putting in a factory stereo, or worse yet, DVD player. But I do understand where your comming from.

Very pithy Gilbert. But yes my questions were simply honest. I ask because a certain volume would be required to overcome a certain noise floor. I have never driven a seriously quiet car. I made nor make any implication about the way you drive nor your alertness factor. As for hearing the outside environment, that also reflects upon my curiosity regarding noise floor and volume of listening. (As an aside, sometimes emergency vehicles are coming from perpendicular and depending upon vision blocking conditions such as buildings I know I don't always see the flashing lights way ahead of time.) As for what kind of person asks, well, hopefully this post helps explain that. Obviously I get your drift, but you have seriously misjudged mine. The reason I put in the qualifying phrase at the beginning of the post was to avoid any misunderstanding regarding intent, at least I tried.

I've had the opportunity to listen to several nice systems, both IASCA and MECA vehicles. Is it worth the cost/benefit? Just depends on your perspective and stubborness to overcome a whole slew of challenges posed by a vehicular soundstage. Most of the hi-end competitors are sponsored and don't incur the expense of the everyday competitor such a myself, and why do we do it? Probably for the love of competition and passion of accepting a challenge to attain that PERFECT sound. Much like us here in the KLIPSCH boards who have a strong attachment to their respective systems/musical preferences and interpersonal relationships created by this union.

Trust me, you can achieve an overwhelming level of accuracy, clarity, and staging if you have the right tools and equipment/and tuning skills. I've never heard a PERFECT car/truck/SUV audio system, but some that were pretty darn close.

My racing handle is "Junk in a Trunk", but it does come in handy at shows, meets, and various events where you just hang around all day. It also comes with a 400# weight penalty (completely dynamatted)

This is where Oldtimer says, "and you are losing a 1/2 second at the track"[:D][:o]

Very pithy Gilbert. But yes my questions were simply honest. I ask because a certain volume would be required to overcome a certain noise floor. I have never driven a seriously quiet car. I made nor make any implication about the way you drive nor your alertness factor. As for hearing the outside environment, that also reflects upon my curiosity regarding noise floor and volume of listening. (As an aside, sometimes emergency vehicles are coming from perpendicular and depending upon vision blocking conditions such as buildings I know I don't always see the flashing lights way ahead of time.) As for what kind of person asks, well, hopefully this post helps explain that. Obviously I get your drift, but you have seriously misjudged mine. The reason I put in the qualifying phrase at the beginning of the post was to avoid any misunderstanding regarding intent, at least I tried.

The noise floor is a moot point and is easily overcome by applying sound deadening material on the floor, inside the doors and trunk area. My Honda Accord is quieter than a premium Lexus coupe but the system is powerful enough to overcome it. Like I said I can hear it perfectly with the moonroof open at highway speeds. I honestly don't care what anyone thinks, I appreciate being able to have a car stereo system that rivals what I have in the house. It was fun putting it together, tweaking it, and then finally being able to enjoy it every time I get behind the wheel. I have had car systems for 30 years and I am not about to stop now. The factory stuff while getting alot better since the days of the Delco 8-track player still lags behind the high end aftermarket offerings.

Gilbert.......   I wholly agree that many professionals conduct their work while listening to music.  I think that actually helps them focus on the activity at hand.  But those activities do not involve the independent actions of others controlling tons of metal at serious speeds.  I always listen to music when I drive but my driving is my primary focus.  I know that many audiophiles get lost in their music.  Sitting at home that is no problem.  Behind the wheel with other nutballs on the road and it could become dicy.  But all things considered I think a conscientious person could enjoy a wonderful car audio system and still be safe.   

Just to give you an idea, here is the center channel speaker. It's output is fully controllable independent of the front and rear channels and can be defeated all together if so desired. It makes a significant difference with all types of music.

The brains of the operation. This thing can do it all, built in crossovers with adjustable slopes on all 3 sets of 4V outputs, time correction, etc. With iPersonalize you can measure the distances of all the speakers to the driver's location and map the entire system configuration online at Alpine's website, burn it to a CD-R, drop it in the deck and it programs everything for you. The output stage has premium capacitors. This is a preamp only unit.

The HiFonics Series VIII Ulysses center channel amplifier, I have removed the 1 Farad stiffening capacitor in favor of a Kinetik HC-600 Car Audio Power Cell. The alternator can generate 140A at 1600RPM and it is all fed with 4 gauge wiring with the exception of the 1 GA Ground. All fused with a circuit breaker to protect the car.

Lastly, the Orion 10" NT2 Dual Voice Coil subwoofers. They are in a sealed enclosure and are smooth and dig deep, all the coils are currently wired in parallel (4) four ohm coils provides a net load of 1 ohm to the amplifier. the amplifier while rated at 50W x 2 at 4 ohms will produce 600W x 1 at 1 ohm mono and will do so all day long.

They are pictured with a rare Orion GSX-300 24Kt gold plated amplifier that I used to have running them.

Lastly, some specifications for the amplifiers for those spec minded folks. The last two rows are the Isis and Ulysses they were the "Cream of the Crop" Platinum High Current Amplifiers that were offered by HiFonics back from '95 to '97. They have since changed hands a couple of times and are now owned by Maxxsonics and it is all cheap foriegn made stuff with lots of watts and no sound quality to speak of. Many of the premiere car audio producing companies have met the same fate. Orion, a/d/s, Phoenix Gold, Soundstream, etc.

Well I hope that I haven't bored you with all this stuff but I wanted you to see for yourself just what we are talking about here from an equipment standpoint.

the Porsche has an Alpine with component speakers, but I'd rather listen to the music of the engine than CD's....call me crazy, but 220 horses of Fuel Injected Porsche playing through dual SS exhausts is a Symphony to me.......

O.B. forgets to mention .. He can't hear his alpine stereo, over the noise that rattling tin can makes . going down the road ....[;)]

[:D]...[:D]...[:D]

the Porsche has an Alpine with component speakers, but I'd rather listen to the music of the engine than CD's....call me crazy, but 220 horses of Fuel Injected Porsche playing through dual SS exhausts is a Symphony to me.......

O.B. forgets to mention .. He can't hear his alpine stereo, over the noise that rattling tin can makes . going down the road ....[;)]

[:D]...[:D]...[:D]

Yeah Yeah, Funny it's always the car behind me that notices that noise...................EH !!!!!!!!!................[;)]