Recommendations for an automatic turntable?

Chicago_Pete

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

When I was growing up here in Chicago seemed like everyone had a United Audio Dual turntable.

Always wondered if it was a local thing?

Those Denons look sweet, that high gloss rosewood finish reminds me of a Luxman CL35 pre I used to have.

I am going to go with Pauln's B&O recommendation. I like the idea of an easy setup and the no issue reliability.

This is going to be an Ebay or Audiogon purchase so if you see one that looks to be a good value, please post it.

I dont have a clue on which model would be a good choice?

Thanks again, Pete

Everybody tends to like what they have but with respect to Paul, I would not reccommend you get a B&O. Choice of cartridge is so limiting and I don't know why anybody would put themselves into that hole by purchasing one today. It's one thing if you've had one for years, are familiar with it, like it and want to keep it running. Or if you're a serious B&O fan and you like to collect them. But for someone just looking for a second turntable to spin records in the background, I think I'd be looking for something that accepts standard cartridges that are readily available. I have a couple of the cheaper Beograms in my collection, maybe I missed the B&O cartridge warehouse but the only cartridges I could ever find were $250+ hit or miss used carts or some website that was selling newly made cartridges for $400+.

By the way, Dual 1019, 1229 or the 701 are all decent choices and won't set you back much. Have to be careful of the infamous "white guides" that are missing on these after so many years. Stupid tiny plastic piece that makes the whole auto start and return function useless when missing.

Scott scared me with the price quotes on the B&O carts.

How about this Dual 701?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250158453951

Rather deal on Audiogon with items like this, but?

If it stays cheap, that could be worth a crapshoot. The seller is a big ebay re-seller and probably doesn't know how to pack it.

I'd feel more comfortable with this one if it was truly serviced where he says it was. Maybe he still has a receipt.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DUAL-701-TURNTABLE-AND-SHURE-M97XE-EXCELLENT-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ260154115661QQihZ016QQcategoryZ48649QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Whatever the arguments for or against one or another turntable, the thing is to get one and build up a record collection before the price of oil get so high the refineries begin looking for more exotic sources from which to refine oil and gas products. Once somebody figures out how to turn records into fuel...

I am still kicking myself over letting Mike Lindsey's get away from me...

Bill

Yep... mine was about as nice a CS-5000 that you will see. It was perfect cosmetically, and came with an outstanding cartridge. And like everything I sell it was packed to withstand a couple of UPS drops. [:D]

Mike

I"'e got a Dual 1226 here collecting dust. Headshell, no cart. I paid $50 for it. Shipping these things is another matter entirely, especially the dust cover. It only has the multiple record spindle thingy but I'm sure a single thingy could be easily attained. Not at all sure this is in the same class as the other Dual's folks are talking about.

If you can find one of these, go for it. It mates well with higher compliance cartridges. The link describes the table and has pictures. Beware that Pioneer reused model numbers, so there is a hunk of junk version with the same model number in all-black with belt drive.

Hey Pete,

Are you still watching that Dual 701 on ebay? Doesn't look half bad. Cratridge and stylus alone would run over $100 if in decent shape.

If you buy a Dual and have to have it shipped, be sure to ask the seller to remove the platter and pack it seperately - it weighs about 6.5 pounds. They should screw the chassis down as well by theading the bolts all the way backwards. I had one shipped to me once and the guy said that he knew how to pack it but when I got it, the platter was still on it and the chassis was shaking in the plinth but the tonearm was taped [:^)]. Even with all of that, there was no damage to the machine and it has operated flawlessly for over seven years now.