A Plague On My Lawn

Tarheel

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont believe in lawn care,, other than burn off at end of season....Grass should be kept long,,,6 or more inches.... tall grass is natural....Prairie grass is beautiful when at its maximum length....I seed wild flowers for color. Nature knows what its doing. Whe i see some one mowing a lawn it discusts me as to how they are polluting the air.....BAMBI would disaprove.

Hey Maron I agree with you but those of us who live in cities with well-meaning but nazi-esque applied property rules have to mow. I still seed wildflowers anyway and everything gets tall where I don't mow. After the season ends, usually by mid July here, then I mow everything back. I've only been cited once, and that was because a neighbor was reported (no flowers just weeds) and the city said they had to cite anyone on the same street to the letter if they cite one person. There are chunks around tree groupings in the back where it often goes unmowed for a long time but that breaks no code because it can't be seen from the street and is farther than 6 feet from the property line.

I have been discusted with our lawn services over the past two years. I have hired and fired 4 different services and I now do it myself. However, I really need to get a pro in to do some thatching, ariating (sp), and fetilizing. Our drought has ruined my grass and I have 1.6 acres that I really can't afford to water. Had we built the house I would have installed a seperate meter for a watering system so I wouldn't have to pay sewer bills to water.

Ironically, a house we almost bought last year instead of this one had a sprinlker system in place and a seperate well running it. Their grass looks great.....

CECAA850.......Tito's vodka rules! Yard work aside.....texas vodka is alright by me. Just finished my second martini (my limit).

It's definitely some good stuff, some of our best firewater. I've been on a Ciroc kick lately. It's awesome once you get over the fact that it's made from grapes. Have you tried Monopolowa yet?

I am a lawn snob. Given my physical limitations gardening at a slow pace is an ideal therapy. When working I used "services" with all sorts of fancy names. Then the illegals showed up and "mowed, blowed and went". Weeds went unrecognized until they reached Godzilla proportions and the lawn got cut. I have time and the interest now. I use a little battery augmented reel mower made by Brill. It is light weight and as a reel mower leaves those lovely cut marks in the grass. I know when to fertilize and when to treat for whatever ails the lawn. Aerate and thatch periodically. The only bane I have...female dogs. The back yard looks like a WW1 no mans land. Lovely green with craters of dead, un-revivable lawn. We've tried some products to try and lessen their urine toxicity with little effect. I think there are reputable services out there. We had one gentlemen a long time ago who was really very good. But, if you can do it yourself you know it will get done right and the way you like it. You'll have more pride in the results and enjoy the benefits of the exercise.

try tomato juice to the dog daily

I am a lawn snob. Given my physical limitations gardening at a slow pace is an ideal therapy. When working I used "services" with all sorts of fancy names. Then the illegals showed up and "mowed, blowed and went". Weeds went unrecognized until they reached Godzilla proportions and the lawn got cut. I have time and the interest now. I use a little battery augmented reel mower made by Brill. It is light weight and as a reel mower leaves those lovely cut marks in the grass. I know when to fertilize and when to treat for whatever ails the lawn. Aerate and thatch periodically. The only bane I have...female dogs. The back yard looks like a WW1 no mans land. Lovely green with craters of dead, un-revivable lawn. We've tried some products to try and lessen their urine toxicity with little effect. I think there are reputable services out there. We had one gentlemen a long time ago who was really very good. But, if you can do it yourself you know it will get done right and the way you like it. You'll have more pride in the results and enjoy the benefits of the exercise.

try tomato juice to the dog daily 

How much and will Clamato work? 

• Moderators

I just love toiling in the yard. It was pretty weak when I moved here a few years ago, but we're slowly building it back up.... I do most of it myself, except this past spring I hired a company to aerate because of thatch build up. They did a terrible job...it looked like one row had plugs, skipped a row, one row had plugs, etc. I called to complain, they said they'd have the guy re-do it. He never came, so I complained some more. They are supposed to be out next month do the job again for free, and I didn't have to pay for the service he screwed up last spring either. So at least that was nice...

I hand pull weeds because I don't like to use too many chemicals b/c of Steven. The neighbors probably think I'm nuts, I'm always out there pulling weeds while Steven is playing. I'm sure I look a little OCD. The only thing I'm dealing with now is some fairly large patches of crab grass in the back because of the drought we've had. Yuck. At least they are shallow.

Steven has learned to become a proficient weeder right along with me. Too bad he doesn't have the attention span to go with it [:)]

If anyone has tips on crab grass, I'm all ears.

I mowed the inner circle once this year,,,,And weed whacked the edge of the lake twice,,, Its really nice to see the deer nibble at the wild flowers.... today ill mow the septic field,, a half acre area,,, that will be the last for the summer season,,,,I have a three acre area to look over that i let grow wild for the wild critters to explore and romp around...Its so beautiful,,, I put on The Mahler Ressurection symphony ,,Open the windows,,The music rolls over the lake... The deer look up !!! and the eagles take flight...Oh what a beautiful site to see !!!!!