"Gorgeous gizmos" article in USA Weekend - we're sunk

wuzzzer

"Manufacturers are paying attention to the "wife appeal" of consumer electronics more and more; however, that doesn't mean men still can't use some help tucking things in."

"While flat-panel plasma and LCD TVs give you a slick and slim big-screen experience, they're still visible. And even though wall mounting eliminates an unattractive stand, when the TV is off, you're still left staring at a giant black box." Since when did it become a faux pas to be able to see your TV?? Today's TVs may be larger in screen size than they were years ago, but their overall girth is incredibly less than when tube TVs ruled the roost.

"A surround-sound system is probably the hardest sell to neat freaks because many TVs have perfectly good speakers." Perfectly good speakers? Since when??

"Wireless speakers exist, but this still leaves the speakers in sight." And??? Are speakers that you can see akin to leaving a dirty pair of underwear lying around when company visits? "My, what a beautiful home you have! And the living room, its...its...OH MY GOD! ARE THOSE SPEAKERS IN THE CORNER?!?!?! {faints}"

I must be one of the fortunate few who's wife/significant other doesn't mind a giant TV screen, huge speakers and a subwoofer sitting out for all to see.

"Manufacturers are paying attention to the "wife appeal" of consumer electronics more and more; however, that doesn't mean men still can't use some help tucking things in."

"While flat-panel plasma and LCD TVs give you a slick and slim big-screen experience, they're still visible. And even though wall mounting eliminates an unattractive stand, when the TV is off, you're still left staring at a giant black box." Since when did it become a faux pas to be able to see your TV?? Today's TVs may be larger in screen size than they were years ago, but their overall girth is incredibly less than when tube TVs ruled the roost.

"A surround-sound system is probably the hardest sell to neat freaks because many TVs have perfectly good speakers." Perfectly good speakers? Since when??

"Wireless speakers exist, but this still leaves the speakers in sight." And??? Are speakers that you can see akin to leaving a dirty pair of underwear lying around when company visits? "My, what a beautiful home you have! And the living room, its...its...OH MY GOD! ARE THOSE SPEAKERS IN THE CORNER?!?!?! {faints}"

I must be one of the fortunate few who's wife/significant other doesn't mind a giant TV screen, huge speakers and a subwoofer sitting out for all to see.

I think some of the plasma and lcd do a outstanding job at designing the tv non screen part to blend in to the background or atleast look nice

s/he obviously never heard good speakers.... comparing tv speakers to speakers.... its like comparing daily cruisers to "true" sports cars

wireless speakers.... if s/he even considered those, obviously home theater or good music reproduction is not on their list.

It's not just the uninformed mainstream press. In the April 2007 issue of Hi-Fi World, a British magazine, Noel Keywood, the publisher, seems to feel that multi-channel is an unpopular waste of time because of all the speakers required:

"With insufficient room on DVD for video, cramming on audio as well has demanded the use of Dolby and DTS compression (data reduction) and, no matter how good a compression scheme may be, it doesn't advance audio quality. Few are willing to populate their lounge with speakers, so all those extra channels simply go unused, folded down into two channels. DVD is no way ahead for audio, where it is just an adjunct to video."

Apparently the English parlour is now called a lounge, but we've called it a living room all along.

It's surprising to see the head of an apparently reputable audio magazine be so out of touch.

All I know is that a remote control in the hands of a man, is not always a good thing.

Wait....change that station back, there is something I wanted to see

Slow down, you're going to fast, and I might miss something important

Can't you leave it on one station for more than 5 seconds?

If you don't stop it, I'm gonna hide that remote

So I claimed ADD......attention deficit disorder

(It didn't work)

<

"While flat-panel plasma and LCD TVs give you a slick and slim big-screen experience, they're still visible. And even though wall mounting eliminates an unattractive stand, when the TV is off, you're still left staring at a giant black box." Since when did it become a faux pas to be able to see your TV?? Today's TVs may be larger in screen size than they were years ago, but their overall girth is incredibly less than when tube TVs ruled the roost....

Simple answer... hideaway HD projector and Screen.

But... to hide a beautiful Khorne or Cornwall. Or even my RF 3.5s...

Sacrilege! [:D]

That's like putting a portrait of the Pope in the outhouse! or putting your old 386 computer with 256 color monitor on top of a cornwall and calling it a desk!

Now... if you want to hide the other "guys" speakers... I'll forgive that one.

What do you think her opinion on the subject is?

Who cares? It's all about compromise. Would I love 5 Cornwalls surrounding me on the main floor? Of course, but not realistic. I think you have to find some "sufficient" gear where she cares about, and if you have the luxury, go with whatever you like in the man cave.

If your woman doesn't enjoy or appreciate or can tolerate good sound enough to come to a compromise so the whole family can enjoy some quality time on family movie night, well that is up to you to decide. She gets what she wants elsewhere, but she understands what the 5.1 brings to our family time together. It's fun!!!!

Exactly - it comes down to compromise. My wife wanted the "stuff" in the formal living room to be as hidden as possible so when we remodeled the living room, I opted to go with a nice piece of furniture the hides the majority of my Klipsch HT speakers from view, except when in use. The only real visible thing in our family room is my cylinder subwoofer. On the other hand, I have known plenty of wives that like and appreciate monster sized speakers in plain view in the main living area.

In my case, my wife has allowed me free reign in the man cave downstairs, and that is good enough for me. I bet some individuals might be scared with seven larger Heritage speakers around, but for me - its pure heaven.

Carl.