Where is the Cornwall Vault?

DizRotus

EDIT: 05/28/2010. This thread was bumped to help johnhart locate the vault.

EDIT: 11/23/2007 Proceed to the end of the thread for the details.

The warehouse in which I rent space for my business is undergoing changes. I can no longer store the Cornwall vault without the landlord charging me additional rent. Please see the threads linked below for the details regarding the purpose and history of the vault. More specific questions should be directed to forum members Gilbert and/or Audible Nectar. I have merely been a custodian and, unfortunately, that must soon end. If the vault cannot be sent via Forward Air (or some other means) to another storage location, I will be compelled to take it to the scrap metal dumpster at the recycling center. That would be unfortunate. Cornwall vaulthttp://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/880634.aspx “Vault” searchhttp://forums.klipsch.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=vault+AND+sectionid%3a4&o=Relevance

Neil, you have been loyal keeper of the vault for some time now. I would offer my space but alas will be getting a second MCM system soon and the 2 car garage is more than packed. The legal situation with my property has not improved so it looks like there will not be any additional storage for at least 60 days.

Has this vault seen any real action in the past two years? I wonder that since the CWIII has been introduced if there aren't enough newer CW"s available that older CW's in good shape just haven't been shipped around the country much? Has there been any use since it's been in your hands?

It would be a shame to destroy it, but if it serves to purpose and takes up space, so be it.

Michael

I have a different problem.

I have space to store it, but no vehicle to haul it (as I did when I was using this crate)......which is a particular issue because I am three hours away from the nearest Forward Air terminal. If my regional airport had a terminal, I would be ideally suited to keep it here. I could always borrow a truck to make 4 mile trips to my local airport, but that's a different problem when I have to go three hours each way to pick this up and put it back into service (in Chicago). Forward Air is the only realistic way to use this crate cost-effectively.

This is the IDEAL method for shipping Cornwalls. If one needs to ship a pristine pair of Cornwalls and keep them that way, this is the ticket. ESPECIALLY NOW that Cornwall IIIs are back in production - the first time two forum members want to negotiate shipping on CW IIIs, they will wish they had this crate.

The ideal "curator" would have space to store it and be in the vicinity of a Forward Air terminal. Those terminals are shown on this webpage http://www.forwardair.com/locations/falocations.htm .

So it is my hope that someone will step forward to keep it....it is a good forum "resource". I would hate to see it wasted/destroyed.

Thanks to Neil for holding this vault until this time, and hopefully someone else has a use for it, or space to store it for future use.

Let's hope that someone close to a Forward Air terminal also has space to store it and a means to get it to and from the terminal. As of now, I have both, but the storage space will soon be an issue. I'll delay the recycling option as long as possible, but I don't want to wait to raise the issue until there is no time for others to consider taking custody.

Michael, you could use this to store a pair of Cornwalls, or a couple pair of Heresies from the "House of Klipsch" collection, so the net increase of space consumption would be nearly zero. Then at least some of your collection would proabably survive the next [insert natural or man-made disaster here] and be available for the archeologists to examine in future decades.

I stored your Heresies from Walled Lake, MI in it while I was holding them for you.

What is the total weight of the unit? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Im not sure, but I was able to wrestle it (empty) into a van (on its side) by myself. Perhaps Gilbert or Audible Nectar can provide the weight.

Is a pallet truck the only way to move it around / is the pallet attached to it?

A lift-truck is the best, but not only, way (see above) to move it when empty. With Cornwalls inside, you would need a lift-truck or several strong bodies to move it.

The vault is attached to the pallet. It could be stored on its side. The top attaches with sheet metal screws. You could store things in it while its waiting to be used, so the net loss of storage space would be low.

The crate weighs about 120 lbs empty. I was able to load it empty into a pickup truck myself, by lifting one end to the tailgate, then lifting up the other end and sliding it in. If one loads it into a carpeted van, for example, two can do it easily. I would place it on thick visqueen/plastic sheeting when using a carpeted van which made it easier to slide/work with and would keep from doing any damage to carpet.

When loaded, you would want a lift truck or two strong persons to handle it. The good news is that Forward Air will handle that when loading/unloading at thier terminal (pickup/dropoff).

When I had it here, I leaned it against the wall, lid side facing the wall. The pallet setup on the bottom would allow the crate to naturally tip towards/lean against the wall, making it safe to store with minimal "footprint".

The pallet is a replacement installed by me, much stronger than the original, which had splintered from repeated trips across the country. It's like an old Mac amp - you can refurbish it :)

I would also be willing to chip in for the cost of moving the crate to a new home, in the interest of keeping this resource available to the forum. I can also be of some assistance to users when it comes time to load it up....experience and practice had me able to load and unload Cornwalls from this in rather simple fashion. I also have found benefit from breifing users on how best to work with Forward Air (it's not hard, but helps if the user knows how they do things before going to the terminal.....especially when dropping it off).

I was hopeful that a Forward Air would open here (and thought it possible given our convenient I-80 location and regional airport), but with the nearest FA being 3 hours away, it becomes logistically impossible to work with it when it needs to be placed back into service (have to borrow/rent vehicle and take a day off work). If we ever get a Forward Air here, I would be more than happy to resume curator duties at that time.

Both the Tampa and Orlando international airports have Forward Air terminals and are roughly 50 miles in each direction from me. Unfortunantly, I have no space whatsoever to store it (since my folks retired from CT and moved in with my bro's and I), nor a truck to get it to and from the terminal. Even if space and transportation weren't an issue, my personal finances have not improved since I was laid off and went bankrupt several years ago. I still literally live paycheck to paycheck with only enough to pay back my remaining debtors...there's no way I could pay for storage of the vault even at these mini storage facilities that are scattered everywhere, nor could I afford to rent a truck to transport it to the terminal.

Hopefully, someone in the vacinity to either Tampa or Orlando airports with the means to store and transport the vault will chime in here and possibly help out. Just curious...can't the Klipsch home office in Indy store it, or even the Hope plant? Surely there's room available at either location (although I don't know about the closest Forward Air terminals to either facilities).

If there is anyway to get the vault to Indianapolis, I could store in my warehouse. I have 20,000 square feet of storage I'm sure I can give up a few feet. Also have truck dock, pallet jack, and truck to haul. Just wouldn't want to make trip to pick up. Now if only somehow it could get to Indy? Is anyone making a trip to the holyland?

SOULD WE TAKE UP A COLLECTION? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Ideally, as I understand it, the plan was to have the next user of the vault pay the freight to have it shipped from the Forward Air (FA) terminal near the then current storage point to the location of the Cornwalls, then pay to have it shipped to the users local FA terminal and then store it until needed again, at which time the process repeats. Alternatively, the last user could pay to have it shipped to the FA terminal near a storage location (our warehouse for the last two years) where it would remain until the next user paid to have it shipped out.

I just checked with FA in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Detroit. The cost to ship the vault (assuming it weighs 120#) from DTW to Indy would be less than $100, probably about $85. That creates the dilemma of how to pay the shipping to a new storage location to preserve the vault. The problem would be solved if someone near DTW with storage space could take on the custodial duties. If it has to be shipped to another storage location, who is willing to contribute to that expense?

Unless someone in the Detroit area has storage space, or unless someone in another location is willing to pay to have the vault shipped to another storage location, it will soon be recycled.