LaScallas

Dynaco_EL34

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These speakers are in the attic of a building so there is plenty of room to take them apart. However, the attic opening is too small for the speakers to be removed. They project sound through a set of grills built into the walls. The grills were built, without any thought of ever removing them.

So can they be disassembled?

Well, anything can be disassembled...But my guess would be no, not without breaking glue joints.  It would possibly be easier to somehow remove the wall grills (if that would present an opening of sufficient size).  Are the speakers being replaced with something else?  More details (and perhaps a picture or two) would help.

Welcome to the forum!

Yes the top sections could be removed from the bass bins with a saw, but the results would not be pretty. More important, it would not solve your problem, as you would still need an opening at least 25 x 25 (La Scalas smallest cross sectional dimension is 24.5 x 24.5; see attached pdf). <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Through what opening would you gain access to the attic? What is the size of that opening? I know that I might not fit through an opening smaller than 25 x 25. If you can, is there another opening or potential opening in the attic? Many peaked roofs have a triangular louvered vent at one or both ends. Could such a vent or something else be removed?

No matter what, even if you find a simple solution, you should play upon the difficulty to persuade the seller that youre doing him/her a favor to remove those giant old speakers. Be kind and tell him/her that youll only charge $25 to eliminate the risk of those heavy speakers crashing through the ceiling some evening and crushing the beloved cat.

Commom 1-piece La Scalas CANNOT be disassembled without destroying them and making them kindling.

You can remove the compoments to make the cabnets lighter and easier to handle.

You'll have to remove the grilles and take them through the wall.

DizRotus, in studying your drawings I'm having difficulty seeing where the 9 1-/4 X 3 ramps are located, I'm a little thick, would they show the section A view?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Tom,

The ramps are located between the floor of the doghouse and the back wall of the cabinet. As indicated in the Motorboard Detail, the ramps are attached to the motorboard and the back wall of the cabinet. They are not shown in the Section A drawing, but they would be at the top of that drawing if they were shown.

The ramps are shown in shadow detail in the Front of Cabinet drawing. The attached exploded drawing that I believe forum member Marvel created might help you to visualize the location.

I think you are getting good advice in this thread. I also agree that attempting to disassemble the LaScalas would be a disaster, for the LaScalas, anyway.

If it is feasible to undo and redo the construction done in the original installation, then you've got a pair of La Scalas. If disassembling the LaScalas is required, you can end up with the speaker drivers and crossovers, but the cabs would be lost, IMO.

Dynaco_EL34,

You said, These speakers are in the attic of a building so there is plenty of room to take them apart. However, the attic opening is too small for the speakers to be removed.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I'm still confused.

Are the La Scalas in the attic facing down toward grills that are in the ceiling in the room below the attic;

Are you able to get into the attic;

If so, are you able to move the speakers away from the grills;

Are the speakers attached to the joists; and

If you are able to get into the attic, how large is the opening through which you gain access?

If you can get into the attic and then have plenty of room to take them apart it seems that it would be possible to take them out through the same opening to the attic through which you gain access to the attic. In the unlikely event that opening is less than 25 x 25, it seems like it should be easier to enlarge that opening than to remove the La Scalas through the grill openings.

At this point, it would be very helpful if Marvel could whip together an exploded view of the building, too.  I mean, he IS Marvel...

Also, everyone is trying to "think outside the box," which most of the time is the way to go.  I think in this case, "thinking inside the box" might work:  Have you considered not removing the Lascalas, and setting up a listening room there in the attic?

DizRotus, the Marvel exploded view did the trick. Sorry for butting in on this thread, I have found that the wealth on information from the forum members is invaluable. Everyone is so welling to share. Thanks

Robert keep us up to date on the extraction.

Tom

If they cannot go through the "grille" opening in the ceiling or through the access way into the attic, then how did they get up there? Standard joist framing is on 16 inch centers, sometimes 20 or 24. Check the size of the existing eave vents/louvers in the endwall of the house. They probably came in through there. If the existing endwall openings are too small, the easiest thing to do is have a carpenter make one bigger and put a larger louver in it.