A few album recommendations

Wardsweb

I posted part of this over a year ago, so its time to repost and add a few more.

davebrubeck_timeout.jpg
Artist - Dave Brubeck
Title - Time Out
Year of Release - 1959
Record Label - Legacy Recordings

The classic quintessential jazz. This is one of the all time greats. I'm sure you have heard it. If you haven't your missing something very special. For you vinyl guys, the album takes this recording to the next level. Take Five is truely breath taking.

mattbianco_mattsmood.jpg
Artist - Matt Bianco (featuring Basia)
Title - Matt's Mood
Year of Release - 2005
Record Label - Decca

First off, Matt Bianco is the name of a group, not a person, and the trio's 1984 debut album, "Whose Side Are You On?," went platinum. That didn't prevent the threesome from splitting up before they could even tour together. Basia Trzetrzelewska, the group's female singer, had her eyes on a solo career, and she took Matt Bianco keyboardist Danny White with her to create four albums under the single name Basia. Male singer Mark Reilly recruited a new keyboardist, Mark Fisher, and recorded eight more albums under the Matt Bianco moniker.

Last year Trzetrzelewska, White and Reilly reunited to co-write and co-produce a new Matt Bianco album, "Matt's Mood," and this spring they're touring as a trio for the first time.

Matt's Mood is flavored with jazz, bossa nova and "Quiet Storm" R&B. This one is great all the way through and does not get old after repeated plays. Check out some of the sound bites on Amazon. From the opening number "Ordinary Day" with Basia's smooth vocals to the rhythm of "Slip & Sliding", this album will make your speakers come to life.

patriciabarber_moderncool.jpg
Artist - Patricia Barber
Title - Modern Cool
Year of Release - 2002
Record Label - Mobile Fidelity Koch

This is an incredible ablum, right from the start. The very first cut "Touch of Trash" is sensuous music, showcasing Barber's voice and piano skills. Her voice is sultry and appealing. Close your eyes and just get lost in this smoky jazz.

brianbromberg_wood.jpg
Artist - Brian Bromberg
Title - Wood
Year of Release - April 2, 2002
Record Label - A440 Music Group

This is from jazz bassist Brian Bromberg on a 300 year old upright bass. The tonal quality of the notes is pure and sweet and what Brian does with it are magical. You will love his version of The Beatles "Come Together" like you've never heard before and smile when you hear "Star Spangled Banner".

getzgilberto.jpg
Artists - Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto
Title - Getz/Gilberto
Year of Release - 1963
Record Label - Verve

Here is another classic. You have all heard "The Girl from Ipanema", but did you know it was written about the seventeen year old Helô Pinheiro. She inspired Antonio Carlos Jobim and Vinicius de Moraes in 1962 to write this song. Sitting in a cafe they saw her every day going to the beach of Ipanema, a district of Rio de Janeiro. Also, on the album the girl singing is Astrud Gilberto, Joao's wife. She and Getz's wife, Monica, were in the studio to listen. There is some debate over who suggested Astrud try singing a verse; Stan, Joao or Monica, but whoever did, it created one of the most memorable songs in history. This is only one of the jewels on this album.

bwaudiophile.jpg
Artist - Multiple
Title - Very Audiophile New Recordings

Do yourself a favor and buy the B&W (BOWERS & WILKINS) Very Audiophile New Recordings album. I have the 180g vinyl but it is also available on SACD. Sara K. singing Turn My Upside Down has the most incredible imaging of any album I've ever heard. This direct metal master vinyl is some of the best produced. Not only sonically but it plays quiet right out of the sleeve. This is now my demo album for when people come over.

madeleinepeyroux_carelesslove.jpg
Artist - Madeleine Peyroux
Title - Careless Love
Year of Release - 2004 Record
Label - Rounder

The first thing you notice is how much she sounds like a young Billie Holiday. With pianist Larry Goldings and David Piltch on bass, they are a supurb band. A very light, half lit room kind of soft evening music.

muddywaters_folksinger.jpg
Artist: Muddy Waters
Title: Folk Singer
Year: 1999 Record
Label: Chess

The quintessential blues album. Muddy unplugged and at his finest.

ottmarliebert_neuveauflamenco.jpg
Artist - Ottmar Liebert
Title - Nouveau Flamenco
Year of Release - May 7, 1990
Record Label - Higher Octave

This is the album that started "Nouveau Flamenco."This is a more audience-friendly flamenco. Gone are the rough around the edges riffs and strict Gipsy/Latin feel. Liebert adds some bass guitar, tropical percussion, keyboard enhancements and a little romance for a sound that's warmer, smoother and much more melodic.

yoyoma_simplybaroque2.jpg
Artist - Yo-Yo Ma
Title - Simply Baroque II
Year of Release - 2000
Record Label - Sony

Yo-Yo Ma plays with a baroque bow on his 1712 Stradivarius cello "reconfigured" as a baroque instrument with gut strings and no endpin and tuned a half-tone lower. This gives it a mellower, more subdued sound, though his tone, despite very sparing vibrato, retains its unique expressive warmth and purity. A pleasure even for those that are not classical aficionados.

I have the Classic recording of Time Out, the MFSL recording of Muddy Waters, and based on your recommendation last year bought the B&W album from Elusivedisc.

Of the 3, the B&W album is by far the best recording. Simply stellar! I wasn't familiar with a single track (or artist) when I bought it, but now I am very familiar with all of them. I can't thank you enough for the recommendation.

Here are some of my favorite recordings:

Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow (first pressing is an orange epic label)

Blood, Sweat & Tears - S/T (Super Disk)

Chicago Transit Authority (first pressing is a Columbia 6 eye)

Chicago II (first pressing is a Columbia 6 eye)

Rickie Lee Jones - Flying Cowboys (Geffen)

Jack Sheldon & his West Coast Friends - Angel Wings (Atlas)

Richie Cole and... - Return to Alto Acres (Palo Alto Records)

These are all outstanding recordings, and sound fantastic on horn loaded speakers! Plus, they are all findable and affordable.

Mike

Do you guys know that there's an entire section down below for music and movies?

I am into Stan Getz, I can't put my finger on what I enjoy about his playing, possibly the phrasing of the passages.

My

bad. I usually only read in 2-channel and had forgotten about the music

and movies forum. Amy, feel free to move this to the appropriate

section, if you want.

right now i buy all my music at an indie store (lasers edge) here in bham.

fred gets vinyl in, but i could get the same stuff from music direct or accoustic sounds.

i would rather try and keep him in business, which is getting harder all the time.

i'm not sure what i'll do when fred calls it quits. theres just something about walking into a music store and finding new music.

danny

I finally bit the bullet and ordered the B&W LP. Mike brought it to my house last year and it really is a great recording.

I also bought the latest Japanese release of Axis: Bold As Love a few weeks ago and it's excellent (in case anyone was wondering). I have a perfect original that sounds great but this new pressing blows it away.

Do you guys know that there's an entire section down below for music and movies?

I am into Stan Getz, I can't put my finger on what I enjoy about his playing, possibly the phrasing of the passages.

My bad. I usually only read in 2-channel and had forgotten about the music and movies forum. Amy, feel free to move this to the appropriate section, if you want.

forgive me if this sounds out of line, but is there some unknown rule about only posting in certain sections of the forum? i for one mainly read 2 channel, and rarely venture elsewhere here on the forum, so i am happy to see that this was posted here at least i was able to see the post and will probably look into a couple of these albums.............i have seen a few times where someone is chastised for posting in an area someone else beleives the post would be more appropiate in another section..................after all isnt this about the music, and vinyl at that, which is played mainly via 2 CHANNEL

GREAT POST WARDSWEB, THANKS FOR YOUR INSIGHT

Joe

I finally bit the bullet and ordered the B&W LP. Mike brought it to my house last year and it really is a great recording.

I also bought the latest Japanese release of Axis: Bold As Love a few weeks ago and it's excellent (in case anyone was wondering). I have a perfect original that sounds great but this new pressing blows it away.

I was just getting ready to order that one for you and bring it down with me. I'm glad I didn't. :) Now I need to find you something else. Gotta find something for Marty as well. I think I know what I'm gonna get him but you will be a little tougher... mostly because you already have everything [:)]

Darn Mike! I would have gladly let you buy it for me!! :)

I stopped by one of my used record shops today only to discover they are going out of business :( All LPs are now 25% off and will be reduced further as Oct 31st gets closer. I picked up a few LPs I already own thinking you or someone else coming for the get-together would need them.

If I go back again this week I'll give you a call while I'm there.