Lets Go Phillies

jacksonbart

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, now cliff can join the rest of that crackerjack pitching staff that got punked and outpitched by the SF Giants last year. i don't have anything against Lee and actually respect him more for turning down the evil yankees--but, i laugh when the sportscaster talk of him being unhittable--dude was 12-9 last year--i think he can be beat.

It's all mathematics---

Pitcher gives up one run and his team sscores zero runs----pitcher stinks.

Pitcher gives up one run and his team scores 5 runs----pitcher is great and going to hall of fame.

Pitcher gives up 10 runs and his team scores 11 runs----pitcher is great.

Pitcher gives up 10 runs and his team scores 9 runs----pitcher traded for minor league prospect.

JJK

• 9 months later...

According to the analysis and some manner of predictive computer program it’s going to come down to the Rays and Diamondbacks. The Arizona team will take it all. Not my prediction but what I heard on the radio this morning.

My prediction is that the Rays will fold early… AGAIN!

Good to hear from you Fini as another baseball fan to baseball fan. About 50% of the preseason predictions to finish the top of the NL East were the Braves. I think the LV odds makers have Philly as the odd on favorite, not that I care about that.

It comes down to team performances and the wildcard round even more so, as its just too darn easy to be eliminated in a 5 game series by a team that is 'worse on paper', as what ever that means I am not sure. One thing I love about baseball is the statistics but only tells of the past and cannot be a futuer prediction. Anyway I humble root for the Phillies against a Cardinals team with perhaps the best player in baseball, or at least he has been for the past 6 or more years. Albert Pujols is a class act to boot, I didn't see contract dispute has bad, just as human. Given all I have read about him with his charities and things he has done, that guy is a baseball player. He is great, perhaps one of the greatest.

I don't like making excuses for my team, because all teams deal with major adversity through the season, but dogone it, I think the Giants would have been atop the division if Posey hadn't been taken down 2 months in (BTW, he's been catching balls from a squat, and is expected to return to the catching position next Spring). Just replace every time Whiteside choked at the plate with an average Posey, and there would be enough wins to get them there.

All that being said, I have no horse in this race. I do have good friends who are passionate about the game, who do have a team still in it. What I hope for is good, clean baseball played hard. May the best team win!!

i LOVE the Giants; but, i'm so disappointed in the GM. He wasn't very aggressive in the off-season; and i never like to hear a team talking about how they're satisfied with their roster. They've needed offense for a while and while i certainly do not think winning the world series last year was a fluke, they were very fortunate to have some incredible pitching and some role players step up big time. I just wasn't comfortable thinking those same guys would suddenly be everyday stars. With such a great pitching staff, it's a shame that they haven't made it a priority to surround them with big bats! Steve

100% agree, Steve. They did go out and get one legitimate hitter (Beltran) late in the season, but he never seemed comfortable with these misfits. I don't think the fans embraced him, either.

100% agree, Steve. They did go out and get one legitimate hitter (Beltran) late in the season, but he never seemed comfortable with these misfits. I don't think the fans embraced him, either.

Yeah, he sure didn't make much noise (although living in SoCal, i don't get to see many Giants games). The thing that scares me is if they keep on with this weak offense, these great pitchers are going to want to leave. How many more wins would Tim and Cain have in their careers, if they were given three of four runs per game?