OT: Where could Microsoft get it's inspiration

Daddy Dee

to really mess things up with Vista. This must be inspired by the sorriest example of DRM on the planet, the new legal Napster.

http://apcmag.com/vista_activation

why in the world Microsoft thinks such idiocy is required for anti piracy protection is beyond me.

This is complete idiocy. Just changing a controller can deactivate Vista. No automated reactivation. Talking to a Microsoft rep is required.

Puhleeeese.

to really mess things up with Vista. This must be inspired by the sorriest example of DRM on the planet, the new legal Napster.

why in the world Microsoft thinks such idiocy is required for anti piracy protection is beyond me.

This is complete idiocy. Just changing a controller can deactivate Vista. No automated reactivation. Talking to a Microsoft rep is required.

Puhleeeese.

Vista is the worst thing they have done since Windows ME and may be worse. The best OS they have ever built was Windows 2000. Fortunately for me OS X Leopard comes out this month. A truly advanced OS. I have been using a developer version but can not wait for the official Leopard release.

Puhleeeese. 

Vista is the worst thing they have done since Windows ME and may be worse. The best OS they have ever built was Windows 2000. Fortunately for me OS X Leopard comes out this month. A truly advanced OS. I have been using a developer version but can not wait for the official Leopard release.

Seti, what improvements have you found in Leopard?  Just curious, I'm very happy with tiger and wonder if it's worth the upgrade.

Thanks

James 

Puhleeeese. 

Seti, what improvements have you found in Leopard?  Just curious, I'm very happy with tiger and wonder if it's worth the upgrade.

Thanks

James 

Time Travel is really cool and the new desktop behavior rocks. http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/ I will be getting a new powerbook at the next speed bump.

Scuttlebutt on the Sony forums says that the big industrial/internet users have told Microsoft they are staying with XP Pro and will not convert to Vista as they see no reason why to absorb the additional expense for no improvements.

JJK

Mark,

Thanks for the link. Most interesting observations in that article.

Yes, very interesting indeed.

I've seen absolutely no reason why I feel I need Vista. With all the "activation" and "Windows Genuine Advantage" (Although I still haven't seen what the "Advantage" is, except maybe to Microsoft - to me, it ought to be called "Windows Genuine Aggravation") [bs] going on plus all the issues that I've been hearing with the drivers and such, it is just not worth it. I don't see any real improvement, except maybe a prettier interface. Just not worth it to me when Windows XP is working plenty good enough for what I need. In fact, if and when it comes time to get a new machine, I may give the Mac a serious hard look. Not only that I've started playing with Ubuntu Linux and it is indeed very nice. Right now XP is working fine, although if I have to wipe this system and reload it, I probably will put Ubuntu on it instead.

Also to add, I know several folks around here that have gotten new machines with Vista on them, only to wipe them and put XP back on. The only reason why I am even sticking with Microsuck products is because I have to develop software in it due to my work (kinda miss the Unix development from my old position [:(] Solaris was a dream to work with, especially the newer versions)

The only other reason I stuck with MS is because I did do a lot of gaming. However, I've been doing a lot less gaming these days. What games I have been playing lately was on consoles such as the Wii (Legend of Zelda on the Wii is friggan sweet!). But since I don't really do much PC gaming anymore, again, no reason to really stick with MS and another reason why the Mac is looking nicer and nicer.

Time Travel is really cool and the new desktop behavior rocks. http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/ I will be getting a new powerbook at the next speed bump.

Can you describe Time Travel, from a user POV?  I.E. how you're using it?

Oh, and whaddaya gonna do with the current Powerbook when you get the new one?

Time Travel is really cool and the new desktop behavior rocks. http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/ I will be getting a new powerbook at the next speed bump.

Can you describe Time Travel, from a user POV? I.E. how you're using it?

Oh, and whaddaya gonna do with the current Powerbook when you get the new one?

None of the business applications I support will support Vista as a client yet. Because it sucks. They tried to make it look like OS X and have similar features but a gold plated turd it still a turd.

My boss is going to use my old pb :(

Timetravel works like Netapp snapshot technology. This eats up harddrive space but worth it. Imaging you accidentally delete a file or you make a change that you regret. Start timemachine and use the timeline on the right side of the screen until the file shows up or you reach the point in time where the file change wouldn't have occured. Then you simple click restore to present. In the pic below notice timemtravel arrows and timeline.

timemachine.jpg

Fini--

For anyone who uses backup programs, Time Travel greatly simplifies backup because it is FULLY automatic at all times. You don't schedule backups, TT is always backing up changed files. You need an external Firewire or USB disc to use TT. These are very cheap today, so it's no big deal. The Mac Backup program was already pretty simple, but this is even more automated and a bit easier to browse for restoring lost files. We are religious backer-uppers around here at our house, so this is a nice addition.

I think the best features of Leopard is what they took from iTunes, which is Cover Flow for all finder activities and Quick View which is a much improved version of Preview allowing you to look though files without opening the application.   

It is better to use Firewire or USB disc but by default it uses the same internal drive. 

I'm appreciating this thread with comments on Mac. I've been browsing for a MacBook Pro for my daughter who is studying media arts in college. Have been wondering about what she'd need in terms of HD. The one I'd been looking at has a 120 gig hd standard, but I'd been imagining upgrading to 160 gig. The laptop with the 160 gig as standard has a minutely quicker processer and charges a premium for the difference.

Whenever I get the Mac, I'll get to use "her" Dell laptop as a handmedown. Actually, I'd purchased it for me to use two years ago. That's the way my last two new laptops have gone. I'm dad to two girls. It's OK. Just one of those dad things.

Seti---

Ok - I didn't realize TT would default to an internal drive. I think if backup is important to anyone (like your business assets), a separate external drive is a safer strategy. Kind of the usual catastrophe we seek to avoid by using backup is when you can't BOOT to your internal drive and are forced into repair, cleaning, re-installing and so on. For casual backup an internal drive is suitable though. 

I 100% agree. It would be better if there were two internal drives but for the average user it is better than what they have ever had as far as backups are concerned. Also TT is always running so you pretty much need to always have your external drive attached or at least connected daily to make the snapshot. When apple goes to solid state disks perhaps they will use one for os and files and another for backups but that is another discussion altogether.

The only reason why I am even sticking with Microsuck products is because I have to develop software in it due to my work (kinda miss the Unix development from my old position [:(] Solaris was a dream to work with, especially the newer versions)

Steve,

Get the newest version of Solaris for your PC, instead of Ubuntu. All the Sun software is free now. We just got a new Sun workstation at our school, with dual AMD CPUs and 6T of storage. Yup, 6 terabytes of HD space. Pretty fast box. Built like a tank, too.

I got the newest version of Solaris, but have been too busy to install it at home.

Bruce

Puhleeeese.

This is NOT an ethnic slur! So I call my Microsoft rep for help. He was middle-eastern, very nice, but I had to ask him to repeat every sentence at least twice. After a frustrating hour of so, he puts me with his superviser. Great! Or so I thought. With this guy, I could understand one out of twenty words. MAYBE![8o|]

AAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate Vista.

The only reason why I am even sticking with Microsuck products is because I have to develop software in it due to my work (kinda miss the Unix development from my old position [:(]  Solaris was a dream to work with, especially the newer versions)

Steve,

Get the newest version of Solaris for your PC, instead of Ubuntu. All the Sun software is free now. We just got a new Sun workstation at our school, with dual AMD CPUs and 6T of storage. Yup, 6 terabytes of HD space. Pretty fast box. Built like a tank, too.

I got the newest version of Solaris, but have been too busy to install it at home.

Bruce

I have a Solaris 10 workstation that runs the Gnome GUI. It is a good machine but when is Looking Glass going to be released? Looking Glass is amazing.