Tube Amps

NOSValves

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mobile homeless... heh...well...

Actually, I was in an indie band around 1987 and we were trying to come up with a name. We traded a few twisted examples and I came up with "Mobile Homeless" during one of the Ale induced sessions. It was a rousing hit with the three other klondikes so we operated under that moniker for a few months before the weight of the band and the conflicting egos caused implosion yet again, something very common for the indie garage band hell contingent. I have been in so many bands that I cant even remember all the beautiful names....although at times, the names were far better than some of the musicians...

kh

system one online / alternate components / asylum listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-04-2002 at 01:40 PM

I've been listening to MAC tube amps for over 40 years (I grew up with one!) and have owned and fiddled with every MAC tube amp and preamp ever made--with the exception of the super-exotic commercial stuff and the tube amps brought out in the last couple of years.

My favorite MAC amps are 6L6 based--the MC30, MC40 and MC240. I know the common wisdom is that the KT-88 amps (MC60, MC75, MC275) are superior and that the "little" MC225 (7591) is the "best" of the stereo amps. I've owned them all and I disagree--the KT-88 amps sound ponderous and tubby when compared with the 6L6 amps--ESPECIALLY if fitted with GEC KT-66 power tubes! I think the MC225 is a wonderful sounding amp, but I prefer the 6L6 amps and genuine 7591 tubes are even harder to find than KT-66s!

I've biamped MC240s to get 80 watts per side when I was driving old Quad electrostatics--and I even did this with the Cornwalls for a while! Talk about overkill! But my favorites are the old MC-30s--they have tube rectifiers and soudn a little "warmer" than the later amps--but I love them all!

hetmann, I went for the new Bottlehead 2A3 Paramours assembled, because after owning a wonderfully sounding but rusty old pair of Dynaco ST70s, I was quite intimidated by the thought of buying used, unheard and possibly requiring repair amps off eBay. I would not want to buy something that sounded okay (tube amps can run with many failed parts, I don't think a SS amp can run with even one failed part!), only to begin a long and tortuous journey with no one to guide me where and what to look at or replace. I didn't have the tools and did not want to be caught making repairs on a new purchase instead of listening to the thing. Hell, even now I resent having to replace driver tubes after one year when my Dynaco worked very hard for years with out needing new tubes.

My friend is getting the Foreplay soon, so I will have to see what assembly is like, but it looks very simple ...

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

I have to agree with mdeneen on the issue of McIntosh. Although I have found their tube amps better than the solid state counterparts, I just dont think they are worth the price sonically. Yes, they are well made more or less and the name has carried them far. But I still think other much less expensive vintage amps sound more beguiling than the McIntosh counterparts. The MC30 is a neat little amp though and there is even one on ebay right now. But you can get more musical sound for much less if care to. I still like the Mc amps, just not for the ducats and the sound.

A few have asked about the Bottlehead gear. It is a great deal for the money if not the ultimate sonically. They definitely march to their own beat as almost all of the Bottlehead designs use Parafeed transformers instead of air-gapped for their single-ended amps. Indeed, they also, as I have mentioned before, go for solid state rectification over tube rectification, for the supposed more ss-like control over the bottom end. I personally dont think SS rectification (repeating self here from other posts) is as relaxed and musical sounding as tube rectification (they do have a better way of implementing it, however). Still, they are great deals for kits and many many love their sound. They also have one of the best forums for helping builders on the net.

As for the Foreplay, once again, it is a great deal for the price... and many love the little preamp...but it still must labor from this price point (many upgrades can be made as well). As for the performance, I have heard negative and positive.

kh

system one online / alternate components / asylum listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-06-2002 at 03:53 PM

Well I hope my HH Scott is one of those juicy ones LOL !!!! Did anyone notice what the Fisher has gotten up too so far ? Its already at 255.00 and has 2 1/2 day's to go. Anyone notice the sets of Heresy's for sale there's a couple nice sets up for grabs. There also I nice set of La scala's for someone in sacramento the guy doesn't want to ship them there at 500.00 and have been for day's. T bad i'm 2500 miles from there.

Well received my Scott 222c today and it looks like I have mdeneen luck. First of either the seller dropped it while packaging it or UPS dropped the box. Although the box really doesn't show any major damage that would make me believe they dropped it. So the brushed copper face plate is bent on one end pretty bad. Also to make matters worse although it works if you turn it up anymore than 5 on the volume control it send massive static to the speakers and does this using the Phone inputs with a TT or the Extra inputs with a CD player. I believe it is outputing static below 5 just not as bad. When turning it over 5 the volume doesn't seem to rise the sound just gets over taken by static but not louder. What a bummer Frown.gif. I have emailed the seller to see what his response will be. All I know is I'm not paying 244.00 shipped for this POS.

You should ALWAYS open shipments from UPS up while they are standing there. I am hoping you got insurance to cover the loss. ALWAYS pay the extra few ducats for this as well. If it was damaged during shipping, you CAN collect. I doubt the seller dropped the unit...

Was it packed well? As soon as you see it is damaged, you should immediately call UPS or, better yet, have opened it up right in front of your carrier agent.

Hope it works out. I always give serious instructions for th seller to pack VERY VERY well, double boxing if possible with tubes removed from unit and wrapped well.

kh

The way it was packed I really don't think this kind of damage accured during shipping the box would of showed damage. It was packed very well. Double boxed and double bubble wrapped with foam acorns every where. I really think the seller may have dropped it while he was packing it but this is just a hunch. Also what about the static above 5 ?? In his listing he said he listened to it for 3 hours without any problem. I guess this could of been caused by whoever dropped it. What do you think about the static ?

What kind of static? IT could very well be something very simple such as dirt in the tube sockets and/or various pots. Go to your local Radio Shack and pick up some contact cleaner to spray in the pots and also into the holes where the tubes go. Could be a dirty switch as well. Sometimes, things like this are VERY simple. I have seen dirty tube sockets cause all sorts of problems, including crackling sounds.

On the other hand, the fact that is showed serious damage that was not evident in the pictures is bothersome. Was it packed with the tubes inserted? Always ask them to ship with the tubes out. Make sure they write a diagram showing where they go if you are not familiar with the amp. Try taking the tube in and out a few times and make sure they are inserted correctly. Be careful when handling them, though. I actually try to use a T-shirt or cloth to use over the tube when handling it to keep oils from skin getting on glass. Always gently rock the tubes a bit when putting them in or taking out. Dont force anything. Try to visually align the pins before entry....you wont believe how many loons break pins off or damage the sockets while being rough.

I am hoping it is not a cap or resistor problem. Think simple first. That Scott does have a bevy of switches and things to be corrupted.

Good Luck!

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-09-2002 at 02:42 PM

Well he packed it real well and removed the 4 7189s and what I believe to be the rectifier. All other tubes were left in. I already tried wiggling the tubes while playing using a sock to insulate my fingers LOL. Didn't seem to help. What's funny is that it really magnify's the static above 5 on the volume control. Also when the Scratch filter is set to out the static is worse than when its set to in ?? I have some contact cleaner here and I'll try cleaning all the tubes and there sockets and see what happens.

Oh one more thing there are 3 7189 which don't say 7189 but say "Telefunken" and made in west germany. The other has 3 line of test the first line say's 6 the second say's BQ5 and the third say's U.S.A. and looks to be new. what do you think of that.

Well after cleaning the tubes and the sockets it sounds awesome no static. For some reason it still has it if you switch the scratch filter to out though. Although it can't push my klipsch SF-2s as hard as my SS amp can. But I never thought it would. The sound is very clean and rich. I'm going to hook my TT back up and see what that sound like soon. Man I wish who ever dropped hadn't it sure is a nice looking peice.