What's on your Thanksgiving Day menu?

klipschaholik

I kinda think the Cracker Barrel is not a bad idea. If it is cold outside, the real fireplace is an added bonus. When the food is right, it is great.

What would make it great is the wonderful company. I could eat worms and rocks with Dee and his family and be perfectly contented. Of course, I'd bring the wine! . . . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . .. . . . . .For us, we ate at my sister-in-law's place: Turkey, stuffing, broiled potatoes and rutabagas, broccoli, two kinds of sweet potatoes (one with marshmallows and nuts, one with citroen and nuts...yum!),gravy, excellent wine, shots of tequilla (we had relatives originally from south of the border there), and a lovely pear tart, and cherry pie!

I kinda think the Cracker Barrel is not a bad idea. If it is cold outside, the real fireplace is an added bonus. When the food is right, it is great.

What would make it great is the wonderful company. I could eat worms and rocks with Dee and his family and be perfectly contented. Of course, I'd bring the wine! . . . . . excellent wine, shots of tequilla (we had relatives originally from south of the border there), and a lovely pear tart, and cherry pie!

I am sure the wine was excellent. The wine you sent to us was superb, and Barbara enjoyed it so much. Even my semi-wine snob sister-in-law thought so. Just saying thanks really isn't enough, fini, but it's about all I can do. Maybe I can find another console for you...

Ate at the mother out laws.

• turkey - St Ruth roasted in the oven - won't let us roast it in the weber - soaked up mesquite chunks and charcoal with a drip pan under the bird and hot coals all around and loaded up / injected with chicken broth to keep moist - may have to try brining and smoking - hasn't let us roast one in the weber for years as a lot better than hers and got a lot more compliments - she probably also wasn't too happy when we boiled a bunch of mesquite chunks in her good cookware (claiming all along that it was an old Swedish family tradition, to boil the cooking wood - did smell pretty good)
  • ham
  • real mashed potatoes
  • turkey gravy
  • corn casserole
  • grean been casserole
  • rolls and butter
  • corn bread dressing
  • sweet potatoes with marshmallows
  • cranberry relish
  • chicken and noodles
  • pumpkin pie
  • pecan pie
  • apple krunch pie (with ice cream)
  • individiual cheesecakes

Maybe I can find another console for you...

Puh-leeze no! I've got pCats on the way, and in order for peace to prevail here, a large portion of my existing equipment must "go away"...And you are most welcome, Bruce!

Well I'm a bit late on the thread but better than never...

Not having much immediate family, mine was a hodge-podge this year.

I started the Christmas tree assembly (I don't kill trees) and dragging up all the 'stuff' after my Nov 9 bday. Got tree built last week.

Monday night I made a large casserole of green bean casserole to take to work for Tuesday lunch with ham provided by CS social committee

Last weekend I got a 16 lb fresh turkey and got her brine soaked, herbed, and preped for Tuesday night baking.

Wednesday after work I did bird disassembly- making one casserole of turkey & noodles, carved one breast for samiches, froze another breast/drummie for later use, put all the other goodies in another freezer bin. So FOUR big piles-o-bird to munch on for next couple of weeks.

On Thanksgiving day I went to a place where they serve the less fortunate and gave some time in late morning/early afternoon helping out.

Friday night my little brother came by and we put the lights and decorations on tree before heading out to a reunion concert of a big Indy rock band.

I might start some baking this week- got to get into the 'old fashioned Americana Christmas' and baking is part of it for me although I'm solo. I'll share at work.

Perhaps some more decorating today. You guys should see the terrace lobby at Klipsch- it's a Winter Wonderland!

Got the 60+ Holiday CD's out- if you come over to the House of Klipsch- I'll drive ya NUTS!

Michael

CECAA850,

We ALMOST got a Turducken this year. I really wanted to but we chickened out (no pun intended). Maybe next year. How was it? Did you prepare it yourself or buy it ready to cook? They look incredible. Please advise!!!!

The turkey was great though. We spatchcocked it for the first time (cut out the backbone for a more even cooking temp between the white & dark meat - sort of flattens out the bird). Works really well but makes the stuffing a little trickier. Mashed potato casserole prepared in advance. Uses cream cheese & sour cream. Very rich. Cranberry sauce and sauteed asparagus with mushrooms and pearl onions. Apple pie and the famous Powers family chocolate pudding pie for dessert. Lots of whipped cream of course.

Plenty of leftovers. There were only five of us this year. Our kids came home and my mother joined us. It was a great day. No fights or anything which I believe is a first for us!

I'm not talented enough to create such a dish. There's a place close by called Cajun Specialty Meat Co. They completely debone the duck and chicken before they're inserted into themselves and the turkey. The bones in the legs and wings are left on the turkey so that it has some semblance to a conventional bird. It's slightly flatter however due to the boneless nature of the structure. The cavities that remain are stuffed with Crawfish Ettouffee. The turkey's skin is rubbed with cajun seasonings. All we did was stick it in the oven for several hours. It was absolutely incredible . The duck's are a little fatty and it really moistenes up the chicken and turkey. They're typically 15 lbs and there's virtually no waste. n This was the second time that we've gotten one, I'm sure it won't be the last.

Colter:

If properly packaged, baked good do extremely well during shipping. I'll provide my address to you at a later time.

J/k....sounds like you had a pretty good Thanksgiving though. Yes

Not bad for a single guy with not much family.

Imagine a woman asking for MY cookies- that's a new one LOL.

Larry, no big deal really, just something to do rather than sit alone

Thebes, did you use kosher (chunky) salt? Also put 2 C rather than 4C if you're going to brine overnight. Both cut down on saltiness.

So how does this Turducken thingie TASTE???

I've finally gotten through the first pan of turkey and noodles, will prep another one for lunches this week.

I wonder how many new Quintet III/Sub10 owners will need instructions on how to set the things up. Seems an owner's manual would be nice, eh?

I'm beginning to hate Mondays.

So how does this Turducken thingie TASTE???

It's very rich. It's not like conventional turkey, hard to describe. When I eat turkey normally, I only eat white meat. With turduken, I'll eat white or dark. It's not what you think of when you picture a traditional Thanksgiving turkey, but it's very good. You may want to make a conventional dressing on the side however if you're used to having that with your meal. We usually do.